I want a guard/large breed dog... wolf/dingo maybe?

SHea

Hey, I want to get a large breed "animal" most likely in the canine family. I was think of a wolf or dingo, I dont want to get a rotwyler(sp?) or pitbull. I would much rather get a more exotic, larger and stronger breed animal. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I don't have much to say other than exotic animals are exactly that, exotic. They aren't domesticated pets that you can bring home and simply incorporate into your daily life and family.
That being said, if you go to a breeder and state that you want a dog for guarding purposes, I highly doubt that you will be getting a dog from them.

Mz_Mutley

Owned By Neos
I have to agree and disagree with RedHotDobe. What do you consider to be "exotic"? Is a rare breed exotic or are you just after a "wild" animal.

As for RedHotDobe's comment about a breeder probably not selling you a dog just for guarding, unfortunately there are breeders out there that would sell you a dog just for this purpose, but I do agree with RedHotDobe in the fact that if you were to approach a RESPONSIBLE breeder they would not be willing to sell you a pup in most circumstances. Responsible breeders like their pups to go to loving homes where they are treated as part of a family, not just treated like a security system with a heart beat (sorry if this is not your intention but this is the impression I get from your post as you make no mention about this "animal" being a family pet).

All this aside dingos, wolves... etc. are only for experience owners with a great deal of knowledge and experience, before you even think about getting one... do you have this experience and knowledge?

Cheers
Mz Mutley

avenlee

Mastiff's are geourgeous large dogs. I do agree with the past posters with regard to owning a dog for the purpose of guarding alone.

To tell you the truth, my Cocker and Westie match up to any guard dog. (to a point, lol) They bak at anything and everything. That a deterance in itself :)

A large "exotic" dog does not necessarily mean they are good "guard" dogs.

You haven't told us about your background with dogs, so we have no responsible choice but to assume that you don't have extensive experience, especially with large or dominant breeds. If your situation is otherwise, you need to fill us in so that we can respond accordingly.

The bottom line about "guard dogs" is this: 1) an experienced dog owner rarely expresses a desire for a "guard" dog, being well aware that there are a myriad of mid to large sized breeds that are more than willing and capable of alerting and defending their homes and people; and 2) an inexperienced owner who is fearful, wanting a "guard" dog is exactly the wrong person to try to deal with any animal that is remotely dominant. They pick up on that fear and too often become either domineering and dangerous to the owner and family, or become paranoid bullies, a danger not only to others, but further perpetuating all those inane "bad breed" myths.

An "exotic" animal, such as a wolf or dingo, does not necessarily make a reliable guardian. They are wild animals, and as such, are going to act in their own best interests.

The best way to have a dog that is protective of you, but not difficult to handle, is to first do some research, not only into different dog breeds, but how to socialize and train a dog, then go to your local shelter or find a breed rescue and find the adult or young adult dog that shows confidence and an affectionate nature. They know that you've rescued them, and if you make them a part of a loving home, will never forget it and will defend you and your home, even with their lives.

There is no better guardian than a well-loved, well adjusted dog.

pitbulliest

I couldn't agree more with Renee..I still don't understand why people want huge, massive, or exotic guard dogs? Maybe to make themselves look cool or tough?WOLVES, DINGOS? WHAT THE?!

Once again, I agree with Renee...200%

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
As far as Renee said about them picking up on your fear, it is absolutely true. The first thing Duke does when visitors come is sniff around them to see what they're like, and he'll give you heck if he knows you're scared of him. A dominant dog with a fearful owner is not a good combination.

As for RedHotDobe's comment about a breeder probably not selling you a dog just for guarding, unfortunately there are breeders out there that would sell you a dog just for this purpose, but I do agree with RedHotDobe in the fact that if you were to approach a RESPONSIBLE breeder they would not be willing to sell you a pup in most circumstances.
Yes, that is what I meant. :) A BYB would hand a dog over no questions asked if you have money for them. Responsible breeders on the other hand are concerned about the well being of their dogs and screen potential homes before placing a dog.

Members online

No members online now.