Idea for kids- Aqua Gems

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I just thought I would post these here because it's the best thing I've ever come across. Pinterest is amazing lol and I happened upon a blog all about ways to help your kids learn and explore. it's full of all kinds of ideas. creative learning, scientific experiments, math play, etc etc.

Here is a link to the page www.tinkerlab.com

and here is a link to AQUA GEMS
http://tinkerlab.com/2011/11/water-bead-exploration/

These are just the things that you see in flower arrangements and such. Little polymer beads that absorb water and expand. theya re non toxic but of course parents should be sure your child will not put them in their mouth lol since they are colorful and kinda look like candy.

you can get them at any craft store. I paid about $5 for our little pack. The pack looks small but OMG do they ever expand lol. the tiny little bag of beads is now a big gallon baggie in the fridge.

It's the greatest thing we've ever come across. Hannah played with them for over 4 hours yesterday and I had to MAKE her put them away to eat and then when it was time for bed. First thing this morning, it was the first thing she asked for. After breakfast we brought them out.

so far they've been used for everything. Playing with the texture, being a chef and turning the beads into specialty dishes (pink pancake soup was one of them lol), filling various containers, and now she is using her figurines and playing in the beads. who knows what will come next. She has been playing with them for an hour and a half already today lol.

They are also great for adults LOL. very relaxing. they feel so awesome. Like gelatin but not slimy and they dont' break apart as easily as something like jello. just squishy little balls of fun lol. you should just get yourself a little cup full of them and whenever you feel stressed just run your fingers through them and squish them and play with them... instant stress reliever. There was one point yesterday where I was convinced Hannah and I could both fall asleep just running our fingers through them.

anyway this was more longwinded than I intended lol but you get the point... aqua gems are AWESOME!!!! try them out with your kids :)

ETA: here is a photo of hannah playing with them so you can see what they look like

K

Kristen1980

That is so cool :D I will have to buy some for Cardyn. Hannah looks like she is having a lot of fun! Cardyn loves crafts and she'll be learning at the same time. Thanks for posting this!

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
I thought those where recalled ? i will have to look but i swear i had a set i threw out because they where harmful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bindeez

about half way through it is says the ones you have are okay. if those are the ones you have.

so just double check and hopefully all is good! they look like fun!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Ithink you are thinking about aqua dots Bogart. That was a pretty bug deal and they look similar but not the same thing :)

Locke

Those look like a lot of fun! Very neat, thanks for sharing.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Its actually these that we are playing with

http://www.aqua-gems.com/

They are actually used for flower arrangements since they absorb all the water and the plants can get it from the beads lol

They are non toxic :) but still not to be swallowed

yoko

After you have made them big will they shrink down again and can you reuse them?

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
my roommate came home with some of these once. i had never seen them before even working in a floral shop. blew my mind for a solid half hour playing with them haha.

Members online

No members online now.