Are pointers hounds?

leaughxp

I looked on a breed info site and pointers were in a different group from hounds but I was wondering because my lab/hound puppy points (I think). He lifts his front leg up bent and his tail out, is this pointing? And do other breeds do it such as any type of hound? I wasn't told what type of hound he is so I've been wondering, he looks pretty much like a black lab but with a little white on him. Some of his littermates were white with lots of small black spots though so I thought pointers are usually spotted like this but I don't know much about them or hounds. Maybe I can post pics later.

Desteny

Save a life: Rescue
My dog, Bishop, is a 12 year old Labrador/Pointer (English) mix. He is pure black with white on his chin, chest, and feet (has been that way since we got him when he was 3 months). He also does that pointing thing. Out Labrador/Dalmation mix never did that, so we thought it was specifically a Pointer traight. Oh, and speaking of pictures, how do I post pictures? Your pup sounds alot like my Bishop!

darkchild16

We are Home.
my greyhounds and my foxhound do it and the greyhounds are sight hounds and the foxhound is a scent hound so i think all hounds do it. well hope this helps
breeze

Desteny

Save a life: Rescue
It might help to know that Pointers have hound blood in them. If I'm not mistaken, they are thought to have Greyhound, Bloodhound, and Foxhound in them (English Pointer). I'm not sure about any of the other Pointer breeds, though.

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
to answer your question no pointers are not hounds pointers are bred to work upland and hunt birds (pheasents, partridge, quail, grouse, etc...) they are from the sporting group (group 1) of dog breeds and there are two pointer breeds German Shorthair, German Wirehaired on the other hand there are many breeds of hound dogs there is a whole group spcifically for the hound breeds called the Hound group (group 2) these breeds include Afaghan Hound, Basenji, Basset Hound, Beagle, Black and Tan Coonhound, Bloodhound, Borzoi, Daschshund, American and English Foxhound, Greyhound, Harrier, Ibizan Hound, Irish Wolf Hound, Norweigen Elkhound, Otter Hound, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Saluki, Scottish Deerhound, Whippet, and many more the fact that your pup points does not mean that he is a pointer it only means he is playing my Dobermans also point and they are from the working group of dogs they do it when they think they are being sneeky and stalking somthing don't worry your pup is only playing and he probably is a true hound/ lab mix

Russell

Pointers are Sporting Dogs

leaughxp,
Labradors, Pointers, Spanials etc are from the Sporting group of dogs... many of which are gundog and water dog breeds.

It would not be unusual for your mix breed dog to point if he has Lab in him. Being mixed bred, you can't really know what breeds are in his family, unless you know for certain that his parents were pure bred animals.

There are several specific breeds of pointers within the sporting group ... German Shorthaired, Wirehaired and Longhaired Pointers and the English Pointer. are 3, and there's probably many new breeds not recognised as yet.

Members online

No members online now.