Disc Dog Training

krissy

Well, here we are trying it out with a soft disc while I try to figure out where to get a real one. I think I'm going to have to work her up to harder plastic because she completely balks at the idea of even carrying my Ultimate disc. I know it is harder, larger, and heavier than a canine disc, but she has a real aversion to it. So I think I will go out and buy a rubber disc and then a very soft canine disc.

Anyway, we're just trying to make the disc fun here. I want her to let it go when I ask and take it out of the "air" with me holding it. It's basically a glorified tug toy at this point. We did have to banish Summit for trying to join in the fun. He got asked to go into the house to wait his turn. Maybe I'll have TWO disc dogs!

[YOUTUBE]KWAgaCPUcRE[/YOUTUBE]

That was so great to watch! She seems like she's sure having fun! I'm super excited for you to do this, you better keep updates happening.

And the dog discs are going to be SO much softer on her mouth than the ultimate frisbee's. But I know what you mean, Traveler by nature isn't a huge tugger and he doesn't like plastic so I had to build him up a lot with softer stuff and just really really short sessions. He's tugging on them now though like a pro! He still prefers the throw over the tug but getting him tugging has upped his drive for them a lot.

Comp tomorrow guys! Super excited and nervous! Wish us luck!

SaraB

GREAT job with the greyhound!!

Linds you know I'll be cheering you on in my head all day tomorrow! Go out there and have a great time!!

krissy

Good luck Linds! Videos needed!

Bought a West Paw rubber frisbee. Seemed like a big hit for the 2 or 3 seconds that I let her play with it at the field. But I wanted her tired so I just threw the chuck it a million times. Will have to really test it out tomorrow.

Sekah

The Monster.
I was inspired by some of the awesome recent disc photos, so I wanted to try my hand at taking some of my own. I'm pleased how these turned out, despite not showing too many actual catches. Cohen is such a good girl, and she tries so hard for me. She loves the rebounds and vaults.

I really wish that last one was in focus. Gonna have to try and catch it again some evening. So fun!

krissy

Did you just take those with a tripod on a self timer? I cannot even imagine trying to do that! I would get so frustrated! :p Love those though, especially the lighting. Very neat effect!

Sekah

The Monster.
Did you just take those with a tripod on a self timer? I cannot even imagine trying to do that! I would get so frustrated! :p Love those though, especially the lighting. Very neat effect!
If by "tripod" you mean "the ground", yes. :p

Thanks guys! It wasn't too hard taking these solo, but I'm sure it would have been a whole lot easier with an assistant.

krissy

Alright, here's the new West Paw disc! I'm super happy with how much she loves this disc. :) And she had a catch in there too! So much fun.

[YOUTUBE]O654F6eGh_c[/YOUTUBE]

Sekah, let me say again how completely awesome those turned out! If I find the talent I might steal the idea. But I just love them so much!

Krissy, she looks great and like she's having a lot of fun! Look at the tugging and the boing!

Today went really well! Didgie got 4th in Freestyle and I lost to all seasons competitors so I'm completely happy with that! Didgie also got 3rd in Spot Landing (and it was a three way tie for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd) so once again, totally tickled especially since 1st and 2nd went to two really REALLY talented guys. And she got 4th in Time Trial.

I blew Bullseye with her to make it a training lesson because in this one you get two discs and Didgie in that setting decides she doesn't have to bring one back if I have another. So I made her go get anyone she dropped and bring it straight to my hand. So we placed middle of the run for that one but it was an invaluable lesson for her.

But the highlight of my day was Traveler. My boy has come SO far in just three comps. He went from leaving the field the first time to pee on something, to visit people, completely distracted to better but still checking out the crowd and coming back slowly to what he did today which was blow me away.

He was COMPLETELY focused on me, he would get to the start line/circle and be 100% eyes on me. He didn't pay any attention to the crowd (and there was a festival going on with a lot of people and spectators) and was just wonderful. AND he got 3rd place in Bullseye where 1st and 2nd where both taken by the guy who also took 1st for anything he was in. There was even a family right next to the bullseye ring spectating and cheering each time and Traveler never went to visit the kids, so proud. So yeah, Traveler made me SO HAPPY!

The wind though today was unbelievable, 20-25 mph with lots of gusts AND blowing straight across the field so there was really no good place to throw. It made things interesting, lots of discs going crazy, lots of dogs having a really hard time judging. And it was SO COLD.

But it was a great day, loved watching everyone and my two made me so proud. I can't wait for next year!

krissy

That's awesome Linds! It's such a wonderful feeling to get attention from a high distraction dog. Kili has a huge distraction problem but every so often she blows my mind and it's the best feeling in the world! So yay for Trav!

Hope there are videos of crazy discs! I like to blame the wind for wonky throws... even during the indoor season! :rofl1:

Sekah

The Monster.
Congratulations Linds!!! Shame about the wind, but that's part and parcel of the sport I suppose. You've come so far in such a short amount of time -- you should be very proud of yourself! (And your dogs, of course.)

I'm also hoping for a bit of video. :D

Thanks all! Watching Traveler blossom this season has been just amazing to me.

So, here's the video I have. I wish I hadn't gotten frazzled out there by the wind. I haven't thrown in much wind and the missed catches and wonky throws really rattled me and I lost my place.

But I still think Didgie looks great, I love seeing the progression from our first comp and it was tons of fun! Just gives me motivation for next year!

[YOUTUBE]JtwINC0aGw8[/YOUTUBE]

krissy

Awesome! Looks great in spite of the wind. Throwing in wind is never easy, and the tough thing about freestyle is that to hit a lot of those tricks you have to throw the disc in a way that is NOT appropriate to wind. Those blade throws are just a big, flat surface right in the wind asking to be taken somewhere unintended. So great job! :) Didgie looks like she had fun regardless!

SaraB

Krissy - another AWESOME job with Kili! I love the West Paws discs, they are actually what I started my guys as puppies on! Durable, fun to tug on and even have a little bit of substance so they aren't like throwing a completely limp rag into the air. I can't wait to see how Kili progresses!

Linds, I finally got to watch the video!! Great job!!! I love the alternate throws you, those will get better when you aren't dealing with so much wind. Love, love, love that little side back vault you threw in there! I think it ties together that sequence so much better and adds a nice variety. Great timing with it as well. You guys looked fabulous!

Kootenay

Linds that looks awesome! Way to go.

Here's a video I just took of our dog catch, getting better. Now just need a little more air! Happy with this though because she really wasn't into the idea of throwing herself at me, it took a while. So, progress!

[YOUTUBE]QqBMi7chn3I[/YOUTUBE]

I just wanted to drop in and say I am super impressed with everyone whose other dogs just sit and watch quietly while you're training. I need to have nontraining dog crated - they butt in and want to get involved!

(aka I am apparently just really lazy about impulse control and a solid stay)

Members online

No members online now.