Running with your dog

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
How many of you guys run with your dogs? Just idle curiosity after a run with my pooch. She is the best, most consistent running partner I could have. Friends aren't always game for a good run, little red dog most definitely is ;)

FG167

We're not running right now but we were a LOT a few months ago and Kastle goes with both of us. Jason despises running with dogs but loves to take Kastle - he's so polite and you barely notice him. I take Kastle as well because it makes me feel better when I run at night alone. We occasionally take Eden because she loves it...but she pulls horribly the whole time and my upper back gets sore :)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I want to start as soon as Merlin is old enough :)

I am hoping to get him running in a top clip/regular harness

Xandra

I kind of do, expect I'm so out of shape, it's mostly walking and some running :)

My "running" is just a nice trot for him. Every time we slow down to a walk he dies a little inside. :lol-sign:

It's nice for me, because he's encouraging, and additionally, I can run at night when no one is watching without being afraid of creeps :)

I don't run with mine mainly because I despise running but I do bike worth both Traveler and Didgie (sitting at the dog park with Didgie right now after biking here with her).

I really love it especially when I break it up with a fun place in the middle where they get to swim. And it forces me to keep active even when I really don't want to.

GoingNowhere

I do a little. I started jogging during the spring and have been taking Boo since I got home this summer. We just go between 1 and 2 miles at a pretty slow jog. She's not really in shape (granted, neither am I), but she does okay at my pace which seems to keep her at a moderate trot. She starts to lag a bit sometimes toward the end and promptly lays down when we get home, but she's always wanting to go when I'm leaving the house so I do think she enjoys it. I just really like the company and am not looking forward to having to jog alone again when I go back to school. I need to keep it up though, because I'm trying to get in shape for some hiking trips in August!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
We run with Artimis pretty often. He has no problem running 3 miles at a decent pace, though I do lol We haven't been running in a while, and are just now getting back into it thanks to the great weather. He had no problem, took it like a champ. My boyfriend and I had a bit tougher time though lol

We will likely start running regularly with Talon when he's just a bit older.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Wesley is a great running buddy, he really loves running in general and it's nice to have the company, and he's not like a person in that he's never too tired to go. It's also nice to have him when I'm alone, he's so big that it makes me feel safe to be out running at night. eta a normal run is anywhere from 3-6 miles, he's got pretty nice endurance.

BostonBanker

I "run" with my dogs. I use the term loosely. I more shuffle.

Mostly I trail run with them. There's a great 3.07 mile loop around the reservoir that I like - just got home a couple of hours ago, in fact. They can be off-leash, which means they probably run 10 miles while I do my 3.07 (the .07 matters, because I run more than 3 miles!).

When it is too muddy for that path, I will "run" with them in the neighborhood. They are shockingly good to take together. Both trot just a bit ahead of me, one one each side.

I actually find it demotivating to run with them on leash. I mean, I'm sweating and snorting and wanting to die, and they are barely trotting, and Gusto gets home and wants to know when we are going to go play.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
If we're basing this on whether the dogs get a good workout, I am a failure as a runner!! Penn's longest run has been 9.29k in just under 50 minutes ..when we finished, I curled up on the deck with a strong drink& a book. She chased a ball with my boyfriend for another hour.

My greatest wish is to have her energy from day to day!! I also am SO impressed when I see people running their dogs in a regular collar. I can't even imagine doing that. Penn's heel is sorely lacking& she gets treated to a Lupi harness for our runs. Otherwise, it's like running with a bull moose.

Torch

Henry is a great jogging buddy. He stays right by my side in a loose heel. He's also great beside the bike. My favorite thing is to hike with him though; I let him pull ahead of me and he is a great 'trailblazer'.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Oh, Wesley runs in a regular collar, it's loose-leash so no worries there.

If you try to have him wear a harness, he pretends he forgot how to walk, let alone run. :rolleyes:

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I trail run with all three, separately and together. Where we used to live they could be off-leash, now they have to be on leash, but we still run.

Saeleofu

Yes and no. Mostly I just go to the gym and use the treadmill, and Logan lays next to it with his head on the not-moving part and watches :rofl1: I have run with him, but this year it went from way too cold to run outside, to way too hot to run outside, with no nice weather in the middle. Gavroche has gone running (outside), too, but he doesn't like it as much as Logan does.

RBark

Got Floof?
I used to run with Ollie, and for a short time, Pris. Kobe is a terrible running partner. He doesn't want to move, he wants to play.

I'd love to have a running partner again.

Kootenay

I'm really hoping that Onyx enjoys running, because both my boys suck as running partners!

Jasper is pretty gung ho to begin with, but always starts lagging way back by the end, and often ends up pretty sore afterwards, so he doesn't come any more.

Yarrow I keep on leash (I run on the "road" but it is a dirt road with very little traffic - Jasper is really reliable offleash and has a nice offleash heel, Yarrow less so, so I keep him on leash) and he just loathes it. I'm not sure if he'd like it way better offleash, or if he just finds the whole idea boring. It's not like he gets tired - he can run forever if we're out hiking or something. I guess he just thinks it's dumb and monotonous?

So here's hoping Onyx will enjoy it and can be my running partner. I feel kinda bad dragging Yarrow out with me, but running without a dog would be just...wrong!

Members online

No members online now.