I need advice on my pug!

R

rottiegirl

its very important to keep the wrinkle dry at all times. if you think that missy has an infection then its best to take her to the vet. how often do you clean the wrinkle? know whats funny? I completely forgot that you were registered at chaz. i had to do some editing to this post, lol

showpug

It's not uncommon for a pug's face to smell if the nose fold is not cleaned as regularly as AT LEAST once a week, but some pugs need this done daily. The best way to do it (IMO) is to buy chlorhexidine. Saturate a cotton swab (the round flat ones work best) and wipe the wrinkle multiple times until it is clean, then dry up excess moisture with a clean dry swab. You have to pull back gently on the skin between the eyes in order to get the nose fold to lift so you can really get deep into the crevice. Be gentle, and avoid the eyes, but still try to be thorough. When you do this, you may notice that the wrinkle has a lot of ear waxy looking debris or the skin is pink and irritated. If you keep it clean regularly a couple times a day at first, this should improve quickly. Here is the chlorhexidine solution that I use.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07786-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

showpug said:
It's not uncommon for a pug's face to smell if the nose fold is not cleaned as regularly as AT LEAST once a week, but some pugs need this done daily. The best way to do it (IMO) is to buy chlorhexidine. Saturate a cotton swab (the round flat ones work best) and wipe the wrinkle multiple times until it is clean, then dry up excess moisture with a clean dry swab. You have to pull back gently on the skin between the eyes in order to get the nose fold to lift so you can really get deep into the crevice. Be gentle, and avoid the eyes, but still try to be thorough. When you do this, you may notice that the wrinkle has a lot of ear waxy looking debris or the skin is pink and irritated. If you keep it clean regularly a couple times a day at first, this should improve quickly. Here is the chlorhexidine solution that I use.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07786-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5
Thanks very much for this info. I will try it. What about the ears for some reason she gets an ear infection im not sure why how would i clean it?

showpug

pugpuppylova said:
Thanks very much for this info. I will try it. What about the ears for some reason she gets an ear infection im not sure why how would i clean it?
I use the same solution in the ears as a preventative. I usually flush the ears about once or twice a week to keep them dry and clean. I squirt a fair amount of solution into the ear and then massage the base of the ear so you can hear the solution swish around. Then I allow them to shake their heads and that removes the excess. If your dog already has an ear infection, this may or may not help but it will defiantly help prevent them from returing. I always make sure to flush the ears right after their baths as well.

showpug said:
I use the same solution in the ears as a preventative. I usually flush the ears about once or twice a week to keep them dry and clean. I squirt a fair amount of solution into the ear and then massage the base of the ear so you can hear the solution swish around. Then I allow them to shake their heads and that removes the excess. If your dog already has an ear infection, this may or may not help but it will defiantly help prevent them from returing. I always make sure to flush the ears right after their baths as well.
Thanks very much i love your advice

What does it mean to "flush" the ears? I clean Bubbas ears about once a week and I have just been doing for 2 weeks now with some special cotton swabs that you break and the ear cleaner solution makes the end wet and I'm just swabbing around with out going deep into the canal. Is this sufficient?

also, some pugs, like mine, really dislike having their faces cleaned. so if you can, try distracting him/her while you're doing it. give them a toy they really like, and do it while they're chewing on it.

Members online

No members online now.