All the reasons you want or don't want to add another dog

Paige

Let it be
I'm curious to know why or why you don't want to add another pooch at this point in time. If you are torn share both sides.

I don't want to add another dog as I have a new baby and schooling to start in the near future as well as for financial reasons. It'd be incredibly silly of me to even consider another dog at the moment. Oh how I wish I had the time and resources but there is so much I can do with Bandit so really the want is sort of silly.

Lyzelle

I want another dog because I'm going to have all the time in the world to work with it over the next 2 years. I'll be in a dog-friendly country. We are financially stable PLUS about to get a raise PLUS plenty already in savings for emergencies. I have finally turned Jin over to the dark side, so he's a lot more willing when it comes to animals. He asks me questions and learns quickly, so no conflict there. I know Zander would be thrilled with a playmate, he's wonderful with all dogs. I'm way more prepared for training than I was with previous dogs, and that's exciting. No kids, ever, so that's hardly a problem. Moving generally isn't a problem. Dogs stay with the household, period. I stay with the dogs where ever they have to be. No issue there. Technically, our TMO papers aren't "due" until January, so I have until then to add a dog and it not affect our move in any major way. In so many ways...everything would be perfect for a new dog.

I don't want to get a dog RIGHT NOW because the timing is a little off. We move overseas in March, and I'm trying to hoard as much money in our savings account (a ridiculous portion of the paycheck, actually) to prepare, because I have no idea what to expect. I'm not entirely sure I could work a dog up from ground zero to confident in public and travel in a short four months. I'm not sure I could handle Zander (who is already skittish) AND a new dog simultaneously through a move. Also not entirely sure I want to ship a dog from Europe only to turn around and move overseas myself 4 months later. Might as well wait, you know?

I guess it is what it is. We've had several leads on so many different prospect dogs this past year, but they've all fallen through, breeders don't respond, or rescues have ridiculous expectations.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Want:
- Have a dog to play with in agility since Mia's knees are bad and Summer is getting old
- Want a bigger dog for variety of reasons
- Miss having a herder in the house
- Want a dog to do disc with

Do not want now:
- Saving for a house, not the ideal time

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Want another dog, because despite having a puppy, he hasn't put me off at all... In fact, quite the opposite!

Don't want another dog, because I am happy with the ones I have :D I don't think I could love any thing else right now!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
DO NOT want another dog RIGHT NOW because:
*I have 3 already that I work with and train... a 4th might take away time from these 3
*Not the ideal time. We rent and it's already hard to try and rent with 3
*Want to save up to buy a house in the next 3-5 years

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I would love to have a puppy but I am realistic in my health and my income bracket. I have had puppies, and even tho I long just to hold one, I have made up my mind that if I have another dog, I will take a senior. It is hard enough for me to get these guys the exercise they need, and I understand senior issues now more than ever. Victor will be 9 in April, Neccy is 14, and Pepper is still in her prime, so my boat is full, and there is no more room. No new dog for us now. i expect, and pray for many more good years with VIctor and Pepper, and want to give Neccy all I can while we can, so that has to be enough for me and for them.

Do not want a dog right now because Buddy is getting close to the end of her life and it wouldn't be fair to her.

Also, I'm pregnant with our first baby.

Want another dog because Obi desperately misses a playmate.

k9krazee

I've been waiting for a dog for the last 6 years. Now I'm finished with school, have a house & yard, stable home life and my dream job. It is now time to add a dog to make the house a home!! I also now have the time, money and ability to train and compete in sports and the OH has the desire to participate as well.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
The reasons I want one:

-I love dogs. Plain and simple. I always have. I always want a dog lol. It's just about when.

-I've finally figured out the breed for me, and I want one so bad it hurts. I used to be really torn between different dog breeds but really now all I want is a Whippet. I want a shorthair and a longhaired Whippet, but I'm not sure which order. I don't have much of a preference but I think I will likely have a shorthair first.

-I want Chloe to have a dog she can actually be friends with and play with. Violet and Chloe get along usually and will play at times but I don't feel comfortable letting them play much/for long because Violet is just too rough.

-Chloe is my dog but she's "older" and not very active. I really want a dog to do activities with. Violet really can't do a lot with me because I don't trust her much in public not to run off and it's always a huge chore because she pulls so bad on the leash. I'd like to get her into a sport but the only thing I think we'd enjoy would be lure coursing and I'm afraid she'd take off or not get along with the other dogs or something.

-

Reasons I'm not getting one yet:

-It wouldn't be right to get another dog right now. Violet is just a mess and a huge handful of a dog and she really is quite enough for this household. So unless one of them passes which hopefully will NOT happen, we will not have another dog in this house. I'll have to wait til I move out.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I want another because:

I really want to get into cattle work. I really want to start another pup from scratch. I really want a Koolie, as crazy as that is. I really want a dog that is a go any where do anything uber confident. Neither of my two fit those above. Harlow fits a lot of it. Rider is very diifferent from what we were expecting.

Why we can't right now:

Importing is ungodly expensive. Rider still needs to come a long way in manners. He really needs my attention right now, but is coming along great.

I think a year or a little more will be perfect.

Then we will look at adding a bird dog. Then we will be DONE until two pass (and Harlow will never die).

CaliTerp07

Do not want another because:
-Would take away time from Lucy
-Added expenses of boarding 2 dogs when we travel
-Lucy is insanely high energy still (at 9!) and I don't want to add more exercise requirements to the mix
-Easier to bring one dog with us when we visit family; 2 would not be welcome
-Husband does not under any circumstances ever want 2 dogs in the house
-Don't enjoy the craziness of multi dog households

Want another because:
-I want a dog I could travel with (airplane carry on sized)
-I want a dog who is "easy" to do agility with. Lucy is hard, and despite making TONSSSS of progress, we never look "good" to anyone else, and it's frustrating. I'm so proud of my goober and how much we've improved together, but I'm insanely jealous of the klutzy handlers who have no idea what they're doing, barely move on the course, make their dogs repeat obstacles 5x, and still have focused, Q-earning runs. That's a selfish wish though, and I won't get another dog because Lucy isn't "good enough". She may never get the titles I wish she could have, but she's mine and I will do right by her.

Do not want. Pip and Squash have had some struggles, and I still have to do some gating/separating and rotating in the house. I think adding another dog into the mix would be very difficult for Pip. Three is pretty much my limit anyway.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I want another because Izzie is 4 and I want a puppy before she gets too much older. She's at a point in her training where she doesn't need to be taught much more, just needs some polishing and proofing. She does better with short training sessions broken up with me working another dog so if I had another I could split time up. Izzie gets jealous when I work other dogs too so if I had another to work then it would spark her desire more.

Red.Apricot

Want:

Do not want:
money
training time
Elsie just turned two and I don't want another puppy specifically
I like spending time with just Elsie
just don't want one, lol

Doberluv

Want: I dream of having a new puppy or young adult Poodle (probably) to try a new breed...one I've been very interested in for a long time. A new "project" and possibly get back into agility. My two Chi's aren't agility material, with Jose`'s bad knees and Chuli is just plain getting too old, half blind and she's happy being a couch potato most of the time. Jose`, though getting old (10) is still able to be to pretty active for walks and such.

Don't want: because two dogs is my sworn limit. I don't want the extra work on the one hand, not as active lately with dogs....but on the other, a new pup to work with appeals to me. Two opposite feelings with that aspect.

Also, harder to travel or go stay at family members' houses... especially when one is a puppy. Two easy and tiny dogs is a piece of cake. Three.....ummm, no.

My son's dog is here almost every day. So, it's like I have 3 dogs anyhow. LOL. She's quite intense and sometimes has issues with other dogs. It would be a lot of work to supervise and to have to be on guard all the time with her. She's great with the Chi's, having lived with them for a year or so and known them for a long time. But a new dog could be questionable. And I'm really not into the crate and rotate business or having to be so watchful. It would be too nerve wracking.

So, until at least one of the Chi's is gone, I don't think so. And even then, not so sure. I'm getting old too and it may not be a wise idea to get another. Plus, I'm not in a hurry to have them gone. I adore them and they're super easy.

But I do think about a Poodle puppy often. What a conundrum. :dunno:

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Want:
-would like a bigger dog with some deterrent factor, being a young single woman
-Feel nice and set with both my girls - Macky and I are old pros, Keeva and I have FINALLY found our working groove
-Want a big manly man cuddle dog
-doesn't help that I already have pretty solid plans, including litter and rough time frame, as long as all the doggies involved cooperate
-both my dogs work better if I make them watch me work another dog. Why not add 3rd into the rotation?

Do not want/cannot have:
-well, cannot have while still in this apt. I mean, I COULD according to my lease but I'm not really set up for it the way I'd like to be and Balto would hate having a man puppy around
-entry fees/class prices *cries* Already can't afford to take both girls to agility class.
-there's always the chance of messing up the good thing you've got going

I'm definitely jonesing for another pup, but I'm ok with waiting until the time is right.

ETA: Oh yeah and I guess boarding and stuff, but I'm young and poor and I don't really travel. If I did, Keeva would be fine staying at my work as long as she didn't come into season. I don't know how my boss would feel about an intact male though, lol. But, it's not really a big deal for me since I don't travel a whole lot right now. If I do, I take the dogs.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Want: I want a Sloan clone or another small perfect female to sport with.

Do not want: We're in an apartment, trying to buy a second house, it's rough enough trying to be sure our kids get enough each right now. Also, Backup doesn't like other dogs and money is an issue until we find a house.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Don't want anymore dogs right now as I'm still trying to find money to do stuff with the ones I've got. *Though* I wouldn't say no to another pet dog, but would never in my mind go and find another one. lol

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Want:
I want a female Bubby puppy to do agility/sports with that I could raise knowing all that I know now

Do not want:
Just started a full time job
Saving more money would be nice
Need to focus on Kimma's agility career/Pentti's therapy work/Bubbles' conformation showing/T's training
Need more space in my house - a dog room would be ideal, but that won't happen until Nika is no longer with us (yes, the baby ferret gets her own room) and that's NEVER going to happen so therefore no dog room :p

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Want because:
I love puppies. I was ready for another puppy once Payton was about eight months old LOL. Even difficult puppies like Auggie are not really that rough for me.
Payton will need a playmate at some point, anticipating Auggie getting old and not wanting to play and Pepper being Pepper.
Also with Auggie retired from agility, and again, Pepper being Pepper and all of my doubts with her, that leaves me with just Pay as the agility dog. I like the idea of having more than one - a dog who's older and more seasoned and then a younger dog.

Do not want:
Payton isn't at that "older and more seasoned" stage yet.
Auggie is still playing with Payton just fine, so he doesn't need his replacement friend yet.

So I do want another but the timing isn't right. I'm not at that stage of "NEED ANOTHER DOG" like I was before getting Payton. Even when I had Pepper here, I was still thinking of adding a third because she is how she is. Don't get me wrong, I love her and she is here to stay, but I wanted a dog to compete with and I have serious doubts about her potential as a competition dog.
But now Payton is here and I'm good for a while. He's plenty of dog for me, bless his heart. I think in a year or two it will be time to start looking for the next one since I am so picky and will more than likely have to get on a waiting list, unless we decide to breed HIM in which case we will just be looking for the right bitch to plan a breeding. I'm hoping to push it to Payton being four so we're looking three more years out here. That will put me up to four for a while, then I will eventually be back down to three and kinda hope to keep it at three... we'll see.

Members online

No members online now.