Rash near her, um, wee wee

Scooter

Zoe has a little bit of a rash near where she pees. We had to kennel her for 10 days while we were out of town, and discovered this when we picked her up. I've put a bit of corn starch on it, and it looks to be getting a little better but it's not clearing up as quickly as I'd like. I can't afford another $49 vet call at the moment unless absolutely necessary. Do you think this is serious?

skyeboxer

Is she crying and is there any discharge? How much is it bothering her? Is it all external or at all internal? I understand if you are are trying to avoid a vet fee for what may be a minor problem, but if there is any discharge or signs of pain ar discomfort then the vet is the way to go.

What are the chances of poison ivy or anyhting like that at the kennel. Slim to none, hopefully. Dog's bellies and genitals are least protected from that kind of thing.

You might try a mixture of bicarb of soda with water (v. light). Unless that already is corn starch? Maybe add a drop of tee tree and I mean a tiny drop.

Scooter

It doesn't seem to bother her at all. It is a bit shiny, but there is no real discharge. It's not right on her wee wee, but near it. When I put corn starch on it she didn't react at all, so I don't think it hurts her.

skyeboxer

Okay, it's slowly clearing up and giving her no obvious signs of discomfort. she's not sickly, off her food, strange smell from her pee, discharge or any other signs of illness? Is the spot hot to the touch?

I am not a vet nor an especially experienced dog person so please do take other opinions over mine but it doesn't sound overly worrying to me. Personally, I'd carry on treating her topically but keep a very close eye on any rise of any other symptoms.

Some dogs are more prone to skin problems. Skye is allergic or was when she was younger to some mystery summer trigger. She'd come up in hives which were serious. The reaction could have closed her throat and she could have choked to death. So skin problems do need to be monitored carefully but if it is localised, not giving her pain, not putting her off food or water and seems to be subsiding of it's own accord, then I'd guess you are doing the right things already.

Sounds like a staph infection or a rash caused by direct contact with her urine - not uncommon unfortunately in a kenneling situation.

Clean the site well with soap and water and dry it well.

If it is indeed a rash caused by urine, desitin will clear it up.

(I managed a kennel - older dogs who were incontinent or crippled often developed a similar rash from not being able to get out of their urine or from dribbling on themselves often.- it's basically like diaper rash for doggies - Desitin always worked well).

Scooter

Thank you so much, that really helps. I'll make sure to keep her clean and put a little more corn starch on it. It is clearing up and she's acting normal- eating, playing etc. Thanks again!

I agree with shadowfacedanes. If the rash is not harmful by touch, its most likely from pee dribble. My dog had the same problem when she was young and I just made sure to keep the area clean and put rash ointment over the area and within a matter of days, the rash had deceased.

Members online

No members online now.