New Dog! Hydro?!

Hydro

United States Marine Corp
Yep, you all might be saying this guy is crazy, after everything I have been through with Rocky II, I'm going to be departing him next month and leaving the little fella with my parents who will spoil him far more than I would have. I'm moving to Miami and I'm planning on buying a dog. I won't have much property there, I'll be living in an apartment to start so I want a dog that won't be too upset about being home.

German Shepherds are fantastic, I taught Rocko, how to bark, give paw, sit, and lay on command in 1 day but I am looking into another variety.

I love big dogs, and I know where I can get my hands on a pure-bred Kavkaskaya Ovcharka (Caucasus Shepherd). I was considering one, but they grow so big, I'm not sure if being at home will be a great idea. I was going to consider a Doberman Pinscher but my brother has one and like I said I want something different. I wan't a great natural guard like a German Shepherd for the home. At almost 4 months my GSD already defends my house like it was his.

So far I have narrowed down the choices for:

Caucasus Shepherd
Chow-Chow
Japanese Akita
Staffordshire Terrier
Siberian Husky
Pitbull

What do you all recommend or think?

Hydro

I got him for my mom on her B-Day, it's their dog not mines. I'll still see Rocky II plenty enough, this is just a dog for my home.

Remember the climate you're going to - leave the heavily coated dogs to a less tropical home!

Mastiff breeds can be quite good in cities. They need a place to be taken for a good walk with some trotting and running and a good romp - as does any dog - but at home they are good sofa guardians. Fila are actually rather well known in that area, but you MUST make sure you can make a lifetime commitment to a Fila. There is a reason the Brazillians have an age old saying, "faithful as a Fila."

Of the breeds you have listed, only the Staffie and Pit are breeds I would want to keep in Florida. Actually, Rocky II should be fine there.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i would think hard before you do an apartment with a big dog..it isn't easy, but hey, that's just me talking again. :rolleyes: I did it with a pointer and it was extremely difficult without a yard, and if no one is home and the pup cries..well you better line up sitters. :eek: I'd deffinately avoid dogs that need a cooler climate..even Missouri is miserable for the longer hairs. I haven't seen a happy husky til the snow falls. Good LUck Hydro, and i am glad your parents will have a healthy puppy now.. You done good :)

Hydro

Rocky is a family dog :)

Thanks Renee :D, Mastiffs are great I know this for a fact, but I hate the whole melting face thing :p. Filas are nice too but their heads are usually more broad than their shoulders. Thats why I didn't list them :/,

I guess you are right about the weather. I know the weather takes out Chow's automatically. How are Staffs?

Actually, the Fila head should NOT be wider than the shoulders, Hydro.

Staffs are great. They are TERRIERS though, so they need plenty of action. The Bull Terrier (different from the Pit Bull Terrier) is a more compact dog, so you can get more action out of less space. Something tells me you'd like their attitude too . . . talk about a perfect Marine dog! ;)

Just a little note - in my experience, Siberian Huskies absolutely stink at guarding. I have walked past a Sibe's house, and instead of barking at me, as most dogs would, he lay there, sunbathing!

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
If a Husky loves you enough it will protect you but no they can't be trained to be guard dogs.

Why not a lab?

Hydro

Yeah those Fila's look great. I don't know tho, they don't seem to be my type of dog to own. Labs are gorgeous I saw a light golden brown lab with blue eyes, one of the most beautiful puppies I've ever seen but I'm looking for a mean mofo. I'm mainly interested now in American Staffordshire Terrier or American Bulldog. Anyone have some good info on em?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
LABRADORS RULE! hehehe. No one was more protective of me and my life then my Charlie! If you go that route..look for extremely good breeders and field stock that is bred for intelligence not just looks..there is a huge difference. My lab charlie was the most intelligent, easy to train, and incredible dog i have ever known in my entire life.

I rarely ever suggest a Fila to anyone. I didn't think they were "my type" as I've always loved German Shepherds above any other breed (and still do if I could only have one dog) but the little beasties do have a way about them. They aren't ever going to win obedience trials - they have minds of their own, but they are well, addictive. I have only to stretch out my hand and a Fila head appears under it. I am unafraid of anything lurking in the night with a Fila beside me. I have no worry of ever being bored either, lol! They are cunning and resourceful creatures.

Staffies are wonderful dogs. Full of energy, usually very intelligent, and they have the Terrier brain . . .

nedim

Why not a bulldog?

Go to dogbreedinfo.com and check out some breeds.

The 22d MEU is gearing up to deploy in NOV for an extended period. You are in NY moving to FA, while training in NC? You want a "mean mofo" for a dog. Allot of posts dont allow pets, feel free to correct me with links your posts regulations regaurding dogs.

With the 22d getting ready to deploy you want to leave your girlfriend, if she goes to FA with you, with a dog only you want to controll?

Something aint adding up Harlequin.

Staffies do not like being left on their own, and as puppies are extremely hyper. But then again, most dogs dont like being on their own, and I think most puppies are hyper. They will however chew absolutely everything when they are left alone, I know a staff who chewed through a washing machine. :eek: Shadow chews everything, shoes, cupboards, toilet rolls, my bin, my leather lazy boy, shoes again, slippers, pant legs, dirty washing, clean washing, cardboard boxes, coffee table, video cabinet.......the list is endless.

Members online