st benard cross grooming emergency

So I have this St Bernard cross with a Maremma. She is a massive dog and is just hurting in our heat we are looking at winter in about 3-4 months but they want to dog taken down in length. Hand scissoring will show up and I am not sure if I should shave her or not. I have guards and blades that I can use but I have no clue what to tell the owner they want her shaved so she is a bit cooler but I don't want to ruin her coat. I need suggests fast she is coming in this Saturday. please help :(

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
A professor of mine had Newfs and swore by just clipping the belly and groin area so the dogs could get the most benefit from laying in their baby pool or on the tile floor. Maybe that would be an option?

Most people I have talked to say the dog is actually usually cooler leaving the coat full, just brushing out the loose hair and trimming the belly and groin.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I would see if they'd accept shorter with a shaved belly and tidied feet. You can use a comb, deshed as much as you can, and just take off the outer inch. The dog will look less scruffy and probably really feel much better with the deshedding.

Saeleofu

I would see if they'd accept shorter with a shaved belly and tidied feet. You can use a comb, deshed as much as you can, and just take off the outer inch. The dog will look less scruffy and probably really feel much better with the deshedding.
I'd go for this too

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Most people I have talked to say the dog is actually usually cooler leaving the coat full, just brushing out the loose hair and trimming the belly and groin.
See, i hear that all the time (always have) but my wheaten (though one coat) is much happier when he's shaved down. Otherwise I have nothing to add!

thanks for the suggestions I am sorta getting a plan and have options now. Just hoping I can make the razor marks of a guard go poof cause she is that coat what shows that crap. thanks still would love more ideas

SaraB

See, i hear that all the time (always have) but my wheaten (though one coat) is much happier when he's shaved down. Otherwise I have nothing to add!
Being cooler with a full coat is in regards to dogs with double coats. The fluffy layer acts as an insulator from both the heat and the cold. A wheaten doesn't have the same type of coat so yes, they would be much happier with a shave.

Members online

No members online now.