Victor cut his foot

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
we may be doing a vet trip this afternoon..they don't open until one so until then i have put antibiotic ointment in the flap and a dressing..the cut is along side the pad..not the pad itself..i remember a post where i think it was mikey that did the same thing..and somone mentioned superglue..did u do that yourself or did the vet glue the flap back down? :eek:

Tyson did that once. My vet told me to use "NuSkin" It's found just about everywhere - got mine at walmart for a couple of bucks. He said that's what he uses on all his patients when he can't (or doesn't need) do stitches. I don't know if I'd use superglue or not but I know the NuSkin worked wonders. It reminds you of superglue, it keeps the skin bonded together until it's healed (obviously you have to put it on like once or twice a day, depending on how active he is). I would recommend that IMO. My husband is in construction and he gets cuts all the time too. I have a bottle in our medicine cabinet and a bottle in out pet medicine cabinet. I cut my hand on the "flappy" skin between the thumb & 1st finger, we all know how hard it is to get a band-aid to stick there, NuSkin was PERFECT.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I went to the vet anyway..was afraid maybe he might have driven something up in there (he did that once before..drove a stob up thru the skin on the side of his leg..was so lucky when i got the the humane society, we were the only ones there in the waiting room. The vet looked at it and glued it with surgical glue but it didn't hold and was bleeding before i was done paying (18 dollars and that included in month heartworm tab for vic and mary) so the assistant went back and checked with doc..i was told to go to hardware store and buy some super glue gel. So i have now glued my dog and he said ouch that stings bad. We will see how it heels.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
glue didn't hold..it is very swollen..too swollen now i think for glue to work. I guess it is going to have to heal the hard way..it hurts. I took one of those wrist bands that i had on him for his st patricks pics he is leaving it on and it is not to tight..still lets air in. poor Victor..he is such a wonderful little boy.

Keep washing it out with Betadine. A wrap of open weave gauze with a non-stick telfa pad will probably be a comfort to Vic right now while his paw is swollen.

And a kiss on the noggin will do wonders . . . ;)

Debi

Poor Vic....sure hope he feels better soon, and his paw heals quickly. Sending big puppy hugs ((vic))

bubbatd

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww !! poor baby, they do take a while to heal.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Victor has pulled off the flap and i am horrified..that a full quarter of his pad is missing. about a quarter sqaured..it doesn't look infected..the color is not dark and it is not "juicy" ...somebody tell me it will grow back! He ran on it all day like there was not a thing wrong..and how i don't know for it is hurting him tonight! He pulled that piece off a few minutes ago.

bubbatd

smkie....I had that with a golden years ago...had a deep cut in his pad...it was stitched but then they came out but the edges were healed and showed no infection. Finally got to the place where the flap looked "dead" and he was biting on it so I cut it off...there was no blood . I still kept the area dried after using peroxide to make sure there wasn't any infection. When outside I used a clean sock covered with a plastic bag to make sure no dirt got to it. Took a while but all healed well. Each cut is different so I don't know how much of the pad is involved. Good luck !!!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
about a fourth of his toe pad! It is sizeable. i have never seen an injury quite like it. I was always so careful to make sure all the screws were down on the top of the dog houses because the jumping up and down off of them would work the edge up and then the dog would tear his pad..but this is not just sheared off, but about the size of a sugar cube gone. He has been licking it at night..it is hopeless to get him to stop..and it really doen'st look infected at all, i would hate to think it wouldn't grow back tho. The whole chunk is missing. I think it was worse than even the vet realized.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
if i had a big freaking hole in my foot i think i would forget about the squirrels for even one day..goooood grrrrieffff this morning he whined and i wasn't thinking so i opened the door and zippp he was an acre away and half up a tree coming down of course on the unbandaged by now foot, If this ever heals it will be a miracle. now if course it is hurting him..when we got to mom's he door busted..and he never does that to get of course the squirrel that was in mom's yard. Now it is bleeding again. I have a leash on him for the day and have it tied to my belt loop. Getting that squirrel yesterday had brought his nuttiness about them to a whole new level.

I was wondering how that foot was doing! I've been having to steal moments here and there for the last few days and missed the thread.

As long as he's licking it I doubt you'll have much worry about infection. There's stuff in dog saliva that seems to take care of all sorts of bacteria.

Grammy's sock sounds like a good idea! When Kharma's foot was shot and in that cast I kept plastic bread bags over it whenever I took her outside if the ground was damp.

Members online

No members online now.