Does anyone own a POM Shi? pom/shiba inu mix

I never heard of this mix before, but I am currently looking for a shiba inu puppy, and I found a breeder that breeds pom shis. I'm wondering from people that own pom shis what they are like?

Citrus007

Watch out some people may bash your for wanting a designer dog. But most people are pretty nice about it. You can't really know what it will look like or act like since it is a mix. It could take after either breed or be a complete mix. It sounds weird since poms are so small and shibas are larger. Are you sure this is a responsible breeder and not a backyard breeder. Does she have a purpose for breeding these dogs?

I dont think she's a backyard breeder, because I talked to some people that purchased her puppies before and they were all good. but then again they were purebreds, she breeds like 4 different breeds, and I think she just started to breed this Pom shi.

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
Pom shis are only bred by BYB's i would definetly shy away from her!

if you contact some shiba clubs in your area and they could point you in the direction of some responsible breeders!

theres some shibas owners on here too!

mozza

plz don't get a shiba mix......shiba's are a great breed and dont need to be mixed with anything if you are going to get a breed get a pure breed(and for all you ppl that are goin to say to me not all breed's are not pure blah blah blah i dont want to hear it, i know )

i own akita's witch are big shiba or you could say shiba are little akita's LOL and they are a great breed...i know there is lady on here that own's shiba's i sure she will tell you all about the shiba....

but plz don't get a mix

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
Most breeders who breed more then 1 or 2 breeds are BYB's.

Please keep looking.

Elissa

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
Kairi,

Unfortunately, the breeder you are going to is not responsible. They sound at the very least like a backyard breeder. Because of the "multiple breeds" and the fact that they are mixing - they sound to me like they might even be a puppymill.

Read the Pomeranian Club of America's Code of Ethics: http://www.americanpomeranianclub.org/pdffiles/Code.pdf
It specifically states that members "will not crossbreed or advertise for sale puppies that have been crossbred."

Responsible breeders don't breed multiple breeds as pets just to sell, and they certainly don't mix pet breeds. Please find a more responsible breeder. If you would like some links on responsible breeders, just let me know. If you have a specific purebred in mind I can also give you national parent club breeder referral lists.

L

LabBreeder

Anyone that breeds mixes isn't a responsible breeder, just a byb. There is no way to know what you'll get with a mixed breed. Why not go to a shelter and find a mix you like instead of buying one from a byb and funding her "mixing for no reason but profit" home?

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
Hey there-

If you are truly interested in SHIBAS i can get you started in the right direction. If you want a mix- go to a shelter and save one.

I am a member in good standing of the National Shiba Club of America. Anyone I would even *consider* buying a Shiba from would also be a member.
The person you are talking about will NOT be a member. We thoroughly discourage the purposeful breeding of mixes- especially if it's just because you're looking for something cute.

Trust me- this breed, and any mix thereof is NOT just a cute little lap dog. You will quickly be disappointed should you go into it thinking that's what you're going to get. These dogs are firecrackers. They are smart bordering on cunning. The few people I have known that were silly (read: dumb) enough to purchase a Shiba without recognizing the dog's true potential very quickly turned them in to rescue (and commented on the fact that anyone who WANTED to own one must be crazy)

. This is a breed that has 6000 years of instinct bred into it saying "KILL THINGS THAT MOVE." They may be small, but they are by no means EASY to train, nor are they "lovey-dovey" dogs. If you want a dog that worships you, that enjoys sitting on your lap, that enjoys being petted and made much of, please look elsewhere. They are absolutely *horrific* animals in the wrong hands.

They are naturally dog-aggressive. Don't ever expect them to love other dogs. In the wrong hands they are human-aggressive, and this is a recipe for disaster. Their original function was to hunt and kill bear and wild boar in Japan- a function which many STILL serve in Japan. If you think that they cannot cause damage because they are small, you are absolutely and unequivically wrong.

If you are looking for a lap dog- please look into Pomeranians. If you are looking for an independent, cunning, challenging dog that KNOWS it owns YOU, then look further into Shibas. (I can refer you to some FANTASTIC breeders if you would like).

I can't imagine what a mix of Pom and Shiba would be. The only thing you could guarantee would be unpredictability. (Trust me...the last thing on Earth you want is an unpredictable Shiba).

I may seem blunt to the point of being rude- and I'm certainly not *trying* to be rude. What I AM trying to do is arm you with information so that you make the best possible decision in regards to your future companion. I've seen the results of people going into Shibas without *really* understanding them- and they are not pretty. Don't be fooled by how "cute" they are. These are first and foremost independent hunting dogs- not "bigger Pomeranians."

Most people won't be able to tell you what a Pomeranian/Shiba Inu cross acts like. This is because there won't be a set "type." We can generally predict temperaments in purebred dogs because they come from long lines of "similarily-temperamented" animals. Make an outcross between two breeds and all bets are off. Dogs from the same litter may not only have completely different personalities, but completely different conformation as well.

Please PM me if you're really interested in a Shiba Inu puppy. I adore this breed, and they're a joy to own- as long as you know it's no typical dog you're getting. I would only be too happy to help you.

bubbatd

Agree...agree... agree !!! You'l find plenty of this mixes in the HS or Petfinders.... DON'T support a BYB !!!!!!!

okay thanks for all of your advices, and Yeah I've done my research on shiba inus. I just saw that breeder and the pom shis just caught my eye. but I wont get one.

showpug

kairi_s_nobody said:
I dont think she's a backyard breeder, because I talked to some people that purchased her puppies before and they were all good. but then again they were purebreds, she breeds like 4 different breeds, and I think she just started to breed this Pom shi.
What you just said IS my definition of a BYB. No one can spend the necessary amount of time that goes into a very carefully planned litter and breed four different breeds, it's just not possible with the amount of research and time that must go into the puppies and dam. People who breed mixes on purpose are merely puppy producers, not breeders.

showpug

summitview said:
Technically they are still breeders, just really cruddy ones! ;)
IMO breeders put time, care and energy into their breeding practices, puppy producers do not! I catch your drift though.:)

Pom-Shi Mix

I own a Pom-Shi and she is wonderful! We live on a ranch in Wyoming and she enjoys going to work with my dad everyday and loves the snow! Cold weather does not bother her and she thinks she's a big dog. We have a Border Collie/Great Peranese cross and she plays with him all the time. She is 6 months old and only weighs 6 lbs. She is very teachable and has learned some tricks such as rolling over and shaking. She also lays down and sits. My dad is not a fan of small dogs but he has fallen in love with this dog. She is a great companion and will greet people if they know her name even if she's never met them. When she was little I took her to rodeos so she's a great traveling dog. She gets in the truck and sleeps on your lap. None of that bouncing off the windows stuff. About the only troubles we have had with her were at first. She was hard to catch and started to think it was a game. But we soon got her over that with some training. She also likes to chase rabbits with the big dogs which can get her into some trouble as well. She is the size of a pomeranian but has the haircoat of a shiba inu. Her personality makes it impossible for people to dislike her. She is an overall great dog! I would recommend getting one.

Members online