Cockapoo's

Tinaweena

Well Fran it's nice we agree on a few of the main point I was making. It just makes my blood boil when I see somebody say "Mutts make me want to puke" so I get defensive of my sweet little boy, as I'm sure you understand.

Tinaweena

Kittana said:
Designer mutts make me want to puke, and people supporting this... foul breeding makes me want to shoot myself.

It's a cocker spaniel cross poodle, not a cokapoo.
You're absolutely right Kittana....it's not a cokapoo, it's a Cockapoo.;)

Fran27

I think he/she didn't mean it that way. I hate 'designer breeds' also, but it's not the dogs that I hate, just the notion... if it makes sense. I've always found cockapoos adorable quite frankly, I just would never support such breeding. But you're likely to see me looking up cocker mixes on petfinder next time I get the green light to get another dog...

Madaline

Debate

Ive noticed that on this board that as soon as you mention you own a maltipoo or cockerpoo etc you get jumped on, before I bought Madeline I never thought it was such a no no to have a mixed breed. Now when Im out and people ask what puppy I have, Im embarassed to say. My Sister Inlaw and myself both got maltipoo's from different breeders, they are both lovely little dogs and I should be proud of her, I actually feel sorry for her sometimes that people have this feeling about mixed breeds. But as long as I love her I guess it doesnt matter.

Fran27

For the 10th time, the problem isn't the dog but the breeders.

I have nothing against people who got a mixed breed without knowing better. It's when they are aware of the surpopulation in shelters, or that lots of breeders just take advantage of their popularity to make a quick buck, but still decide to get their dog from one of those breeders that it bothers me, because they're just encouraging unethical breeders by giving them their money... and those people will just keep breeding their dogs and adding to the dog surpopulation because it's just too easy to make money that way. If they didn't sell their dogs, they would stop breeding them. That's the result we're trying to reach. And for the 100th time, it's the SAME THING with backyard breeders of PUREBRED dogs.

The way you take it though, I'm starting to think that you just don't realize that you just encouraged the breeder you got your dog from to just keep adding more mutts to shelters. Did you get a spay/neuter contract with your dog? Did they make you sign a paper saying you're not allowed to rehome the dog without letting them know? If you didn't, you should realize that the breeder you got your puppy from just doesn't care about the puppies. He just cares about how much money he gets from selling them to the first people he sees that wants a puppy. And you should learn from it. Lots of us have done what you did, and bought a puppy (purebred or mutt) from such a breeder. I've done it also. The difference is that I admit I made a mistake, and that I will never get a dog from such a breeder again, because I think it's wrong to encourage such breeding.

You know, I'm not proud when people ask me where I got Boris and I tell them I got him from a place that sells puppies from backyard breeders. The difference is that I don't blame anyone for doing what I did, just me. You just don't seem to understand what bothers us, and I think that's the main problem.

B

BlackDog

Madaline said:
Ive noticed that on this board that as soon as you mention you own a maltipoo or cockerpoo etc you get jumped on, before I bought Madeline I never thought it was such a no no to have a mixed breed. Now when Im out and people ask what puppy I have, Im embarassed to say. My Sister Inlaw and myself both got maltipoo's from different breeders, they are both lovely little dogs and I should be proud of her, I actually feel sorry for her sometimes that people have this feeling about mixed breeds. But as long as I love her I guess it doesnt matter.
No, you get jumped on if you say you bought it from a pet store, breeder, or are planning to breeding your dog. I have yet so see anyone jump on a poster for simply owning a mix. Shelter and rescue dogs need homes and we encourage people to adopt a dog in need. It takes a very loving heart to do sure a wonderful service to our beloved k-9 population.

Tinaweena

I absolutely got a spay/neuter contract, and he's chipped with the breeders info.
Some of these breeders do care, and aren't just adding to overpopulation.

Fran27

I wasn't talking to you in my post, but it's good to know. I am glad that some designer breed breeders at least take the effort of doing things responsibly. The only thing I don't get is why did they decide to breed in the first place? I'm more and more starting to think that just because a breeder breeds responsibly doesn't make it right to breed.

Tinaweena

Apparently nothing makes it right to breed dogs. Unless the dog gods have smiled upon you ensuring you will yield nothing but show quality, you have no right breeding.
Until somebody comes up with a sure fire way to only allow a certain number of people to breed, a certain number of times...there will always be an overpopulation of dogs. At least I've purchased from somebody who cared enough to check for health problems, and is trying to produce quality dogs, and send them to great homes.

Dixie

The ***** idiot
My input:
1. why spend 550 bucks for a cross when you could have one for much less at the shelter?? Doesnt make much sense at all.

2. Mixes and purebreds all have their genetic problems due the gene pool getting smaller with ever litter produced.

3. As for dogs being our employees, sorry but this will continue as long as there is a need for it. Dogs are used for search and rescue, drug warrants, explosives, etc. I am training my dog to do what it was bred to do- retrieve waterfowl. Will he be bred - not likely. But I still advocate to positive and responsible continuation of my breed. When he comes to 24 mos of age I will have him tested for eyes and hips, and not for breeding reasons, but for his general health.

How they allow for mixes to be tested for OFA and CERF I dont know. What sickens me is that I found out yesterday that there is now a mixed breed registry in the United States. This will cause more puppy mills to be built, as this registry will be making lots of money off of the recent craze of mixes.

Sorry, but when someone says they bought a cockapoo or maltipoo, or even a labradoodle from a reputable breeder, I cant do much more than shake my head and wonder to myself if youve given used judgement all.

Sorry, but thats just my opinion.

Dixie

Tinaweena

My input:
1. why spend 550 bucks for a cross when you could have one for much less at the shelter?? Doesnt make much sense at all.
Because it was a cross I wanted, was interested in, and wanted to raise from 8 weeks of age.
2. Mixes and purebreds all have their genetic problems due the gene pool getting smaller with ever litter produced.
I agree...but you see much, much more inbreeding with purebreds.
3. As for dogs being our employees, sorry but this will continue as long as there is a need for it. Dogs are used for search and rescue, drug warrants, explosives, etc. I am training my dog to do what it was bred to do- retrieve waterfowl. Will he be bred - not likely. But I still advocate to positive and responsible continuation of my breed. When he comes to 24 mos of age I will have him tested for eyes and hips, and not for breeding reasons, but for his general health.
That's exactly what I said, with the exception of a few working dogs. Also I'm not saying that we should erradicate pure breeds, I'm not trying to be a puppy hilter here, only that you should be open minded and not so doggy snobby when it comes to mixes.
How they allow for mixes to be tested for OFA and CERF I dont know. What sickens me is that I found out yesterday that there is now a mixed breed registry in the United States. This will cause more puppy mills to be built, as this registry will be making lots of money off of the recent craze of mixes.
In your above quote you say that you will have you dog health tested, for general health....
Asking why they are allowed to be tested is just like saying "Oh that mix has HD...oh well, put it down or let it suffer, it's not worth anything anyways"
This is exactly why they allow health testing for mixes...general health. You want to deny a healthy mix dog? Thats just ignorant. If you went to a foreign country, where you were different, people didn't like you, and hadn't seen people like you before, would you expect to be denied medical testing and medical care just because you were different?

Sorry, but when someone says they bought a cockapoo or maltipoo, or even a labradoodle from a reputable breeder, I cant do much more than shake my head and wonder to myself if youve given used judgement all.

Sorry, but thats just my opinion.

Dixie
Yes I've used good judgement, I went to a reputable breeder, I didn't walk into a petstore, I didn't look for an ad in the paper, or take a puppy from a sign on the side of the road "free dogs" I did research, checked for health, temperment in parents and all the above that the fancy purebred owners do. I got the dog I wanted, and he's wonderful.

Fran27

Oh please don't compare mixed breeds with foreigners... There is no reason to bother with HD testing for mixes because they shouldn't be bred. There are other ways of checking your dog hips and eyes than paying for OFA and CERF certifications.

On a side note, my guess is the parents were purebred, which is why they were tested.

But what can I say, I think it's really sad that people think that 'being interested in a particular mix' is a good reason to deny a needy dog a home, when so many other mutts need a home. And I hope you realize that you were actually lucky to get 'exactly the dog you wanted', because there isn't such thing with mutts. I guess all those breeders have a good and rich life in front of them.

As I said, I am fine when people do it when they don't know better, but when they do, I can't do much more than shake my head and grieve for the 5 million dogs that get killed each year - this is coming from someone who will never again buy any dog from a breeder.

Madaline

Pound

Its really hard to find little dogs in the pound around here, there are lots and lots of big dogs but not small, my sister inlaw looked in the pound for months, she did find one, but they wound not let her adopt it because the dog wasnt good with kids.

femke

geez i almost feel ashamed of being a " Fancy Purebred Owner". I dont think it's fair to make statements like that because from what I read on the forums NO ONE here has anything against mutts. It's not about the dogs or what kind they are. It's about the fact that five million dogs get killed in shelters every year because there aren't any homes for them! I dont think anyone should be breeding unless they have a really really really good reason too. And I agree most of the purebred dog breeders out there should not be breeding. But there are some that are responsible. Breeding mixes i'm sorry i just can't say that I find that a responsible thing... if you really love dogs that much than why add to the dogpopulation??

Sure it's a long way from fixing the problem but if EVERYONE out there starting realising it then in the future it might make a difference. I regret buying my puppy from the breeder I bought her from. I love my sheltie to death and I wouldn't trade her for any other dog but had I known the things I learned on here before I wouldn't do it again.

Mutts are awesome! I had one, I loved her, she was the best dog ever! my mom has one now, same thing awesome dog as well! it's not about the dog... it's about the dogpopulation. My next dog will hopefully come from the shelter. It might take a while to find her/him, but if you really want to buy one from a responsible breeder then it would probably take you just as long.

Amstaffer

People that want Labordoodles why don't they just get American water spaniels or Portugese Water Dog? Don't both breeds have all the qualities of the Lab/poodle mix?

Madaline

Labradoodle

Amstaffer said:
People that want Labordoodles why don't they just get American water spaniels or Portugese Water Dog? Don't both breeds have all the qualities of the Lab/poodle mix?
I dont know why people dont get those breeds, you dont see that many of them around, I had never seen one until I went to the Dog show, I dont think there are many breeders around either. As Golden and Labradoodles are the latest fad they are everywhere that is why people get them I guess.

aivzdog said:
Hi,
Who here owns or loves cockapoo's aka cocker spaniel / poodle mix.

I own one and I love them.
Princess is a cockapoo

I hope there are other cockapoo people on here.

Anna:)
I knew somebody with one of these that knew all kinds of tricks! Sadly tho this person bred it a couple times to another Cockapoo....something I don't think she should have done. Still that dog was so cute and so smart! She would do all this on command: smile, bang your dead, walk on her hind legs, and more. It was cool. Her name was Idgey. She was named after the girl on Fried Green Tomatoes (Rose's friend). The dog Idgey was bred to was named Tripod because he lost one of his feet.

B

BlackDog

Tinaweena said:
... and is trying to produce quality dogs, and send them to great homes.
Well, if that's you're definition of quality than that's your business and your money. I already said what I have to say about it. You can believe or not believe it. I'm out.

Members online