Labeling trainers

opokki

Purely Positive, Balanced, Traditional, Compulsion....did I miss any?

According to ABC, their course is focused on "balanced training"....meaning I will mainly use positive reinforcement, some negative punishment but also positive punishement or negative reinfocement if neccessary.

Who originated these labels anyway?? And do we really need to constantly label one another?

Personally, I would like to see more trainers join together and learn from one another but these labels just seem to segregate us. :( Anyone else agree?

silverpawz

No Sugar Added
But...how would we all know who to argue with if we didn't have labels classifying our enemies?? :lol-sign:

Seriously though, I totally agree. I hate labels. I don't think of myself as a traditional trainer, OR as purely positve trainer. I'm somewhere in between and I like it that way.

C

cindr

Yup!:yikes: You both are right!:) I know just in our area alone there are so many that have their ways of training. Which is alright with me, as long as it is consistant and not abusive.

Would any of these trainer's come together and get into a conversation? Yeah may be one or two! Although this is what you generally get!

Back talk and back lashings! OOOOOOH they don't know what they are doing!

YADA, YADA,YAHA! I beleive that we all know what I mean! Alot of these trainers, do not take the time to get to know you the dogs that you have and or how you train. So yeah, sometimes it's a personal affair, and at everyones expense. Especially if what I have may help the dog and owner out. No these trainers here, feel that all dogs are alike and need to be trained like a ROBOT!!!!!!!!!:( So I will say this this is a great topic, and thanx for bringing it up!:cool:

sam

I agree, but when I'm checking out various programs or authors, people teaching seminars etc, I want to know what methods are used and what the training philosophies are so people need to be able to describe in fairly brief terms what they do unfortunately that ends up with labels and generalisations.

opokki

Would any of these trainer's come together and get into a conversation? Yeah may be one or two! Although this is what you generally get!
Fortunately, in my area many of the trainers do seem to get together and get along well. They even go to seminars together, which I was happy to hear.

Fortunately, in my area many of the trainers do seem to get together and get along well. They even go to seminars together, which I was happy to hear.

Same in my area, as Sam will discover when she heads down here next month.:)

There are only a few of us who are well known in my city and while there is one gal who many would consider competition (she's very good at what she does), I have no problem referring clients to her as I know they will be well taken care of by someone who truly knows what she's doing. (Yes, it's Tammy I'm talking about Sam);)
We share the same philosophy...so I guess that's labelling to some degree.:confused:

In seminars, there are many of the same faces and I think we all respect each other and enjoy seeing each other during these educational get togethers. :)

otch1

I agree, there's a lot of controversy over training methods. Some valid, some not. Controversy over someone like Kohler, verses Ian Dunbar, verses recognized Clicker trainers .... all very different. Some with an extensive educational background in canine behavior, like Dodman verses some "self-made" trainers, like Ceasar Milan. It's difficult when there are so many varied opinions, for the pet owner to know what will work best for their particular dog. I believe I'm lucky that we've all gotten along in my area, for the most part and can refer to each other if one doesn't have what a client is looking for, in that particular training program. It's a big responsibilty, having an owner place their trust in you. I believe there'll aways be a great deal of controversy over methods. It's become such a competitive industry. I think it's the responsibilty of the dog owner to approach this like a "consumer" and put as much research into selecting a dog trainer, (verses going to the closest school as a matter of convenience), as they would when purchasing any service. A daycare or the place they purchase their car from. They need to make sure the person they're entrusting their canine companion to, is really a proffessional with the educational background and training experience to "get the job done". You don't want someone "experimenting" on your dog, or making things up as they go. Someone who can clearly state the services they provide, training techniques they use and provide this at a reasonable price, then let the consumer decide if you're right for them. One who is as respectful of the dog owner as they are the dog, listens to their imput and concerns and does their best to create a better relationship between owner and dog. An owner has to look past the labels and find someone whose methods they're comfortable with and someone they'd enjoy having a continued relationship with. (Which is generally the case, once a family finds a good trainer. They'll be a referance for groomers, kennels and often train the next dog in that family when the time comes) I've read your posts Oppoki and I believe you'll do well in this industry, with your honest, positive attitude and your dedication to educate yourself, so you can better educate a dog owner.

opokki

I've read your posts Oppoki and I believe you'll do well in this industry, with your honest, positive attitude and your dedication to educate yourself, so you can better educate a dog owner.
Thanks for the compliment! :)

Members online

No members online now.