Ever teach your dog something that wasn't such a great idea?

Like the time I thought it would be fun to teach Tallulah to chase my feet under the covers?

Not quite the same thing as a cat chasing them, ya know?

:doh:

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Embyr knows how to open the fridge, but she doesn't do anything with it unless asked. I started to teach Copper, my food crazed Foxhound, and thought better of it. I'm glad I did.

Shake. Worst thing to ever teach Chewy, and it's her go-to now. When you're eating, when she's bored, when you're trying to work on something else and she gets frustrated and claws your thigh to pieces instead... It was really useful if I ever wanted her to do something with her feet, like Cross Your Paws, but she still feels the need to claw like a cat.

Pintage

Mountain Dawg
I taught Lugia to run between my legs from behind... now she does it to everyone at the dog park :rofl1: It's so funny to see people just milling about unsuspectingly, when suddenly a puppy forcefully squeezes herself between their legs causing their knees to buckle, as she runs off in the opposite direction. As amusing as it is to watch it happen to other people, it can get a little annoying when I'm cooking in the kitchen or something, and she comes up to me unannounced and tries to weave through my legs.

Embyr knows how to open the fridge, but she doesn't do anything with it unless asked. I started to teach Copper, my food crazed Foxhound, and thought better of it. I'm glad I did.
omg that would be so dangerous in my house. LOL
Same here, Adrianne, lol! There's a good reason I call Tallulah my Bottomless Pit.

Kharma . . . I suspect she knows (I caught her nosing at the door opening a couple of times and told her she'd better not even think about it). However, she has a faithful servant to do such things. :p Just as well, she'd probably put something metal in the microwave or leave the stove on, lol.

She does make phone calls every now and then. She's called Buckshot several times (he knows its her and they have a conversation) and the other day she somehow managed to call Romy's old number -- the one for the phone her ex now has. I think it shook him up a bit, lol. Guess it's a good thing I don't have any pizza places on the memory? :eek:

Last edited:

Assamiea

When I was teaching Baxter to fetch I taught him to sit at my feet with the ball. His idea of sitting at my feet is to run at me full speed, body check my legs with his butt, and then sit on my feet. This works just fine for me because I know his routine and expect it, other people not so much. He's nearly taken a few people out by doing this.

The worst was when my friends 4 year old son decided to start a game of fetch with Baxter. Small child + unexpected 18 lb dog butt check to the leg= faceplant!

I felt so bad. My friend, on the other hand, thought it was hilarious.

Kimbers

I taught Schaffer how to open doors.
One day, I came home to several ripped up cereal boxes and a bag of flour scattered about on the carpet. Fluff butt helped himself into the pantry.

Equinox

"Give paw"/shake. I regret it so much, now he slams his paw on me (or flails it sadly midair, multiple times) as his default behavior. It really doesn't help that I laugh and shake his paw anyway because I don't have the heart to tell him he's an idiot.

Also, for a while, he thought everything I asked for was a request for him to "perch" on the first elevated object he saw. That, was usually me. Thanks, Dog.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
One of the trainers I work with swears to be 100% against teaching dogs to shake, especially as puppies..turn out a lot of them pick up on the scratching doors, people, furniture, food etc.. afterwards lol

MicksMom

I taught my first Siberian to say "Please" by placing his paw on my thigh. Yep- that resulted in him raking his paw down your thigh when he wanted something.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't taught Caleb to bring me things- like in the morning when he sees me start waking up, andhe sticks a sock in my face.

Sparrow

Uhhh yeah. LOL I refuse to treat shake anymore or bark on command. They are really annoying defaults when dogs get confused, imo.
When Zoe was a puppy, she pawed a lot, so I taught her "Gimme five" really quickly. Now she paws with her giant bear claws all the time. Part of it is just her style of communication, but it is also a default for her, being one of the first commands she learned.

Now that we're doing nosework, I know she'll get into pawing at the source, which is bad for trialing, where destroying boxes during the container search - and cars during the vehicle search - is faulted.

MicksMom

...Now that we're doing nosework, I know she'll get into pawing at the source, which is bad for trialing, where destroying boxes during the container search - and cars during the vehicle search - is faulted.
Caleb's thing is nosing the tin or straw. And if I'm not fast enough, he picks it up. Goes back to teaching him to pick stuff up for me ("Gee, Mom, that tin/straw doesn't belong there. I'll get it for you").

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Yeah, shaking here too. Wesley learned it at like 5 weeks old when the breeder's son taught it to him-totally ingrained. Speak is another one, but he's just barky. Luckily, he wasn't super reinforced so it's not a default. His current default behaviors are backing up, sad puppy (chin on the floor, your lap, the couch, whatever) and of course shake.

I will definitely not be teaching my puppy to shake after being hit so many times with those claws. Maybe she can learn how to when she's, oh, eight years old.

Ugh, taught my spaniel "inside voice" when he barked. He was a HUGE talker. Unfortunately that would mean he'd have to be barking really loud to begin with. Not so great when you're all baffed out and vegging on the couch with your dog curled up behind your head and he feels like a little conversation.

I taught Rig and Holly to sit in front of me when we're getting ready to go out. They get so excited that getting collars and leashes on was like roping a kangaroo on crack. But they're fast and don't see the difference between me getting ready for a doggy outing and me getting ready to go to work. Once I get my purse.... every time I turn around, there they are, sitting pretty. I can't take two steps. We're working on sitting by the backdoor instead.

Members online

No members online now.