Thinking of changing food...

Hello,
I have a 6 month old lab mix that I rescued from a shelter. This is my first time owning a dog, and at the shelter she was being given Purina Puppy chow. Now, I knew enough to recognize that this was cr*p, and the vet told us to use Eukanuba. This is what we have been feeding. I recently noticed that she is really blowing her coat. Thinking that maybe this was stress from her recent spay/having to stay inside more, I did some research and found that it could be that Eukanuba is a lower quality food. This was suprising, since the difference in price between Eukanuba and Puppy chow is so significant!

What would you say is the best food for a puppy? She was 38lbs at 5.5 months, if this helps.

Also, information about prices would be useful as well.

(I did a search on this board but couldn't find conclusive results.)

Thanks,
Elektrasmom

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
I feed Canidae. I have found that it is the cheapest high quality food so it is a good balance between price and quality. I pay $24 for a 20lb bag, but others on here have remarked that they find it much cheaper. I guess it depends on where you are.

katt223

Mom of Two
I'd like to know this too... I've never seen Canidae, Baxter (11 weeks, 3.5pounds) has been eating Iams Puppy... but I just read in another thread that this is crap... anything I can start making myself for the little guy or is it too early?

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
Yes, Iams is crap too. Glad you are both thinking of switching. I used to feed Iams until I learned better. You should both check out www.dogfoodproject.com

Katt, I don't know anything about homemade diets but a lot of people on here do it so hopefully someone will chime in.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I also recommend the Canidae. It's a quality food, inexpensive, relatively easy to find, the company is personable and supportive... and their food (except for Platinum) is all-life-stages.

I keep a bit of Eukamuba (or, as I call it, Puke-a-Nooba) on hand for when Ronin goes to shows. He eats Euk. Small Breed Puppy at shows because it's very high in calories, small kibbles (which he likes - he gets picky at shows) and easy for my handler to find if he runs out of it. But I don't feed it as a normal thing.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Woohoo! I'm so glad you've found a place with great dog food. :)

Toller_08

I've had excellent success with Canidae (Lamb & Rice). We just switched our dogs to it not overly long ago, and I am very impressed. In fact, I don't think they have ever looked better and their breath is better on this food than it has been on any other too. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Members online

No members online now.