Chaz puppies of 2013

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Should be an ultra sound on the 19th. I'm holding my breath and crossing my fingers, now I may or may not get a pup from this breeding, depending if there is a pup with the temperament that matches what I want, but there is more breeding's that just took place. So either way I will get a pup this summer early fall. YAY!!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Should be an ultra sound on the 19th. I'm holding my breath and crossing my fingers, now I may or may not get a pup from this breeding, depending if there is a pup with the temperament that matches what I want, but there is more breeding's that just took place. So either way I will get a pup this summer early fall. YAY!!
Sounds like we're in the same boat!

Only if I don't get a pup from this breeding, I have a feeling I'm going to go back to square one and try to figure out if I want a Lab or a Chessie (or spaniel?), and then what breeder to pick...AHHH! So I'm really hoping for a nice male. Really, really hoping.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Scored a giant Tuffy Sheep I've wanted for a year (lol, sad) for Futurepuppy for half off at the downtown pet shop, woohoo.

And I feel like people should have more puppy updates!!

FG167

Sounds like we're in the same boat!

Only if I don't get a pup from this breeding, I have a feeling I'm going to go back to square one and try to figure out if I want a Lab or a Chessie (or spaniel?), and then what breeder to pick...AHHH! So I'm really hoping for a nice male. Really, really hoping.
You want a Chessie so I can live vicariously through you!

I have a GSD puppy :) he's cute

*blackrose

You want a Chessie so I can live vicariously through you!

I have a GSD puppy :) he's cute
I know I do, because I really want a more protective dog than a typical Labrador is, but we had three Lab puppies come in through work yesterday and I was just all, "LABBY PUPPEH!!!!!" LOL

Hoping for a breeder update in the next few days...

Kootenay

Totally joining in this thread! Was not planning on a 2013 pup, but here we go! 2nd in line for a female Mal pup, hopefully to be born late may. Fingers crossed!!!

*blackrose

So, quick question regarding puppy-buying protocol...

Future-Puppy has to be a male dog. Not only for my personal preference, but I absolutely cannot have a large female dog around Chloe. Because of this, if the proper male isn't in the litter, I will have to pass. And, due to life being life, this summer is the perfect time for a new pup - waiting for a fall/winter puppy won't be near as ideal.

Because of this...is it in horrible bad taste to contact another breeder who is also planning a summer litter to see if I can have my name put down as a tentative "maybe" in case the litter I'm on the wait list for (I haven't paid a deposit yet as she doesn't take deposits until the pups are born) doesn't have the pup I need? Or is that considered a huge no-no?

is it in horrible bad taste to contact another breeder who is also planning a summer litter to see if I can have my name put down as a tentative "maybe" in case the litter I'm on the wait list for (I haven't paid a deposit yet as she doesn't take deposits until the pups are born) doesn't have the pup I need? Or is that considered a huge no-no?
As long as you're honest with the breeder about your intentions, I don't see a problem with that at all. The worst they can do is say no. If they go further and take the request as a personal insult, they wouldn't be a breeder I'd personally want to deal with in the first place.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
...is it in horrible bad taste to contact another breeder who is also planning a summer litter to see if I can have my name put down as a tentative "maybe" in case the litter I'm on the wait list for (I haven't paid a deposit yet as she doesn't take deposits until the pups are born) doesn't have the pup I need? Or is that considered a huge no-no?
I don't see the problem, I did it. I was on 2 tentative lists for puppies planned for summer. This was not real wait lists though, they weren't the type to have waiting lists before the dog actually getting pregnant. I ended up going with the person I thought was my 'back-up plan'. I think as long as you figure it out early and don't lead them to believe you are 100% wanting one of their puppies, it is not a big deal.

*blackrose

So. Now I'm torn.

Which breeder would you choose?

Breeder (A):
Pups are offered at full registration, $1200, no spay/neuter contract. Sire has GCH, RN, and JH titles. OFA Excellent hips, Normal elbows, PRA normal, CERF. Breeder states the Dam is OFA certified for hips and elbows, and tested for PRA, DM, and EIC, although I can't find proof on the OFA website. She does, however, come from healthy lines. I do believe she is at the very least CH titled, if not GCH. Dual purpose dogs.

5 year health guarantee for all genetic defects, will refund entire purchase price. Deposit is 100% refundable if a puppy isn't suitable for me. I would have 3rd pick male.

The breeder has been kind of hard to keep in touch with and hasn't given me updates as I would have liked (like when she switched sires, for example), but from my limited conversation with her seems very much a nice person.

Breeder (B):
Pups are $850, limited registration with option to move to full if health testing/titles are achieved, no spay/neuter contract. Unsure of exact sire/dam, but are OFA hips and elbows (seems like most are Good and Normal), with PRA and DM testing. Dual purpose dogs. Exact sire/dam may not be titled, but come from reputable lines (which is the reason for the price, I'm assuming).

2 year health guarantee for hips, 3 year for eyes. If any issues are found, you can have the puppy replaced/return the pup, but they don't refund you any money. Deposit is 100% refundable if a puppy isn't suitable. I would have 1st pick male.

So far, breeder seems very forth coming and helpful. Haven't had any communications issues with her as of yet.

I think I'd go with Breeder (A) if cost wasn't such a big issue, but saving $350 with be a huge help at this point in time, and I'm not sure the quality of the dogs being bred really warrant that much of a price difference.

Thoughts?

Saeleofu

Honestly? I'd probably go for breeder B, because communication is HUGE for me. What's the point of a good breeder if you can't get in touch with them when you have questions or problems? I'm in contact with Logan's breeder nearly daily - not always about Logan, but at least I know she still exists ;)

Ultimately, it comes down to that parents of the pup, and more importantly the pup itself. If the right breeder has the wrong dog, what good is that?

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Those seem like good options, breeder-wise. They both seem to care about their dogs and do a good job with them. I would *not* base your pick on the fact that one breeder has not kept you updated on a litter of puppies that is not even confirmed yet. I feel like it's my job to ask, I have no idea how many people my breeder is getting emails from and how busy her life is. The one whose wait-list I dropped off of was much better at emailing me 1st/getting back to me fastest. The breeder I am getting a puppy from is an awesome, nice person who will answer every question under the sun, but I need to contact her first. I just don't see it as a deal-breaker, the way I see it is I am not choosing pen pals lol, so as long as they do respond that's fine.

At this point, I would ask myself which prospective dog parents I like better, because that's really what you're buying, not a breeder. And just go with whichever one *feels* right to you.

:)

Last edited:

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Honestly, I would go with Breeder B, like Sael said communication is huge for me, and to me having support and knowing I an get in touch with my breeder is huge for the life of the dog. I want that support and friendship with the breeder. I have that relationship with my breeder and I would not change it for the world. If I need advice or have questions she is there.

If you like the Parents from Kennel B, are you are happy with them, then thats who I would go with.

At this point, I would ask myself which prospective dog parents I like better, because that's really what you're buying, not a breeder.
That's not entirely true. When you buy a puppy from a responsible breeder, you're getting a package deal that includes the breeder.

Personally, given the options, I would consider breeder A over breeder B for now. To start, I don't agree with B's so-called "health guarantee" at all, it's a very common "smoke and mirrors" guarantee used by BYBs by making it sound like you're getting a guarantee but in actuality you're getting a big fat nothing; Hips aren't even OFAd until 2 years, and then you have to send back a dog you're already attached to in order for the breeder to make good on their so-called guarantee? Which gives you what in return? As opposed to a five year guarantee (plenty of time for most issues to become apparent or test for them), purchase price is refunded, and it sounds like you get to keep your dog, so you get the dog and a good chunk of cash that you can potentially use for its vet bills, or to purchase another show/working/whatever prospect if that dog is a washout, etc. The difference in health guarantee alone would be worth the extra money to me.

I would mention to breeder A that you can't find the dogs in the database, and ask for copies of the reports. A lack of "small talk" at this stage isn't concerning to me personally, because nothing is really happening yet and they may just simply be busy (family stuff, planning their litter, dog events, etc) -- does this breeder get back to you and seem open and friendly when you have questions? How did you find out about the change in plans with the sire of the litter and did you ask the breeder any questions at that point? Are you trying to communicate only by e-mail, or are you calling?

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
That's not entirely true. When you buy a puppy from a responsible breeder, you're getting a package deal that includes the breeder.

Personally, given the options, I would consider breeder A over breeder B for now. To start, I don't agree with B's so-called "health guarantee" at all, it's a very common "smoke and mirrors" guarantee used by BYBs by making it sound like you're getting a guarantee but in actuality you're getting a big fat nothing; Hips aren't even OFAd until 2 years, and then you have to send back a dog you're already attached to in order for the breeder to make good on their so-called guarantee? Which gives you what in return? As opposed to a five year guarantee (plenty of time for most issues to become apparent or test for them), purchase price is refunded, and it sounds like you get to keep your dog, so you get the dog and a good chunk of cash that you can potentially use for its vet bills, or to purchase another show/working/whatever prospect if that dog is a washout, etc. The difference in health guarantee alone would be worth the extra money to me.

I would mention to breeder A that you can't find the dogs in the database, and ask for copies of the reports. A lack of "small talk" at this stage isn't concerning to me personally, because nothing is really happening yet and they may just simply be busy (family stuff, planning their litter, dog events, etc) -- does this breeder get back to you and seem open and friendly when you have questions? How did you find out about the change in plans with the sire of the litter and did you ask the breeder any questions at that point? Are you trying to communicate only by e-mail, or are you calling?
Agreed. I really don't have much to say to my puppy buyers right now- nothing has really happened yet. Most of them have seen my contract, filled out the questionnaire and thats about all I need from them now. When (hopefully) we have pregnancy confirmed, that is when I start more regular updates, and of course when puppies are born the updates are even more frequent. At this stage, what do I say, other than "they haven't tied yet" and "her progesterone is still low, will probably be another day or two". Do they care? I doubt it, LOL.

FG167

I buy the dog, not the breeder, but a good breeder and thus a good friend and network system is always a plus.
Me too. I'd go for A.

Eta I do not buy dogs where a guarantee depends on returning the dog. That being said, Aikon is from a good friend of mine so I made allowances in areas I normally don't because I know the breeder and the bitch and trust her.

Members online

No members online now.