What have you found works best for dry skin?

kady05

Sako & Piper have both had dry skin all winter long. Normally, I wouldn't think much of it as the air is dry so it makes sense, but it's really bothering me to see little flakes on them!

They're both raw fed, and get fish oil (I use Grizzly Salmon Oil now) daily, along with vitamin E 3x a week. They eat chicken, turkey, tripe, beef, and venison right now, so that should be a decent variety.

I think it really started bugging me after this past weekend at the dog show. Sako's breeders dogs have lovely coats, hardly any shedding at all (they're kibble fed, they get raw as a treat once/twice a week). Not that Sako has a "bad" coat, per say, but it could be better. Sako has also been shedding like CRAZY for a few weeks.

I'm wondering if this is a raw thing, or just a weather thing, or what. Admittedly, I am kind of a slacker when it comes to brushing them. I try to run the Zoom Groom over them at least once a week though.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Juno gets really dry skin in the winter. Giving her a bath JUST with conditioner and letting it sit for a couple minutes really helps. Coconut oil might help, either adding it to their food or I've even thought about just melting some and rubbing it in the flakiest spots. Haven't actually tried that yet though.

When I brush her it just brings the dirt and flakes up to the surface and makes her look worse lol, I always have to give her a bath after brushing because I can't stand it.

kady05

Yeah I'm considering adding in coconut oil again. I fed it before but never noticed any big changes so I stopped.. but before they weren't having these dry coats so maybe it'll help!

porchpotty

Yes, that is effective. I give my dogs a little virgin coconut oil. And it works on them. It has cleansing properties as well.

Barb04

Super Moderator
This winter I decided to buy a humidifier. It really helps with dry skin for the pets as well as for people.

kady05

Ordered some coconut oil, so I'll give that a try again!

I considered a humidifier, but it wouldn't do much good (I think) because the area where the dogs are the most is downstairs and we have crazy high ceilings so I don't know how much good one would do.

paws24

Hi,

I also had the same problem with my dog. I changed her shampoo and started giving her coconut oil and it was really helpful for my dog's dry skin.

Members online

No members online now.