she is getting her ears cropped today!

Mayasmydobe

I'm PAWMAZING!
Maya is at the vet right now getting her ears cropped and her dew claws removed. I am sooo nervous! Any tips of after-care? I am sure the vet will teach me how to tape her ears up and stuff but any tips from you guys would be much appreciated.

Aww cute!

I know some people are against cropping, even for show, but I like it. Even though its completly cosmetic. I'd like to get one of my bullies ears done, but I think even Zelda is too old now. No?

How old is your Maya?
Cant wait to see the funny taped up ears!

Mayasmydobe

I'm PAWMAZING!
maya is just over 12 weeks.

I went and saw her right after she got out of surgery and she was soo groggy. She has a styoroam cup holding her ears up (wierd I know, huh) and she hated wearing it, she kept shaking her head around. Plus she looks like a power ranger with the bands around her front wrists from the dewclaws.

I am going to visit her again in about an hour.

will let you all know how she is when I get back.

otch1

12 weeks is rather "late" to be getting ears cropped and dew claws removed. Was that done for a reason? Asking to see if this was because she had any illness/health issues? You should be shown by the breeder how to re-post ears when the time comes to do this. For now, most vets doing crops will give you paperwork on follow care info and a diagram on posting/taping. You'll be careful not to let her get them wet. Not to allow kicking and scratching at them. The first week is when you need to watch for signs of infection. Hope she's feeling better soon!!!

Mayasmydobe

I'm PAWMAZING!
Her dew-claws for some reason werent done before. We don't know why. When we had the pre-op visit the vet asked if I wanted them removed and I said yes becuase I know that if they arent removed it can cause problems later. we got maya at 10 weeks and the vet wanted to give her a few weeks to get used to us and the new house before doing the surgery.

I spoke with the vet when I was there visiting (I just got back) and he said that they look extremely well and that they should go up very quick. he said that after he cut them they were almost up. So he said that they should be up fairly quick. He was very pleased.
I got to give Maya a treat this time (I couldnt before becuase she had just woken up from surgery) She loved her treat and even "sat" for it (even though i didnt ask it of her. She seems so well behaved but I know that is partly becuase she is worn out from having a rough day with the surgery and all, even though the surgery went well it couldnt have been easy for her.

So I get to bring Maya home tomorrow. I am excited and a bit nervous at the same time.

I don't know if I can ask the breeder for help with the taping and stuff becuase she doesnt crop her dog's ears. She lets them be natural. The dog groomer and Dog trainer at the vet's office raises dobermans and she told me she would help me out with the taping as far as making sure I know how to do it properly and stuff. She also told me that I can call her with questions any time. (She is normally kind of a hard to get along with lady, to put it nicely) but she is really excited about Maya and wants to help me raise her up proper (lol I sounded all southern or something)

Doberluv

Just be careful not to expect them to stand too quickly. She's pretty old to be having them cropped. They can appear to be standing inbetween postings and then they wilt. If you let them stay in that wilted position, at all fopping for ANY amount of time, you are going to have real problems getting them to stand. They must never flop at all.

She also may have more pain than a very young pup and also has been without them all this time so it's really going to be foreign to her. Where as a 7 week old pup hardly has had time to notice any different. So, be careful she doesn't mess with them. My pup never did. He was just so accustomed to the posts. Your pup may not be.

You need to clean them, air them out (about every 4 days) just while you prepare your clean posts and then post them right back up again. When you get to the point where they'll stand for a day, but then start to wilt, get them re-posted. When they stand for a week and then start to flop, they're not finished yet. You need to post longer than you think usually.

Lyric was a year old before his were solid. But he was a little bit of a late bloomer. But not that unusual. Some take nearly that long. At 4 months, they would stand for a day, if I remember correctly and by the end......wilting. His were done at 7 weeks by the breeder's cropping vet.

I had a wonderful site for instructions and pictures and now it doesn't link up for some reason. It's gone. But if you're getting help from this gal, hopefully all will be well. Good luck.

She is adorable!

Barb04

Super Moderator
Sending good thoughts Maya's way that surgery goes well. Keep us updated.

My Jake's ears were done at 6-1/2 weeks. I do know the younger the better.

Mayasmydobe

I'm PAWMAZING!
Thanks for all of the advice Doberluv.

Maya has been doing great. I went and visited yesterday evening right before the vet office closed. I didnt have time to post about it becuase we kept my 4 year old niece overnight and she was a handful (lol)

Maya was eating well when I visited her. The vet told me that I can pick her up this afternoon. I am a bit nervous though becuase I have class at 2. and the earliest that I can pick her up is at 1. so I will be having to leave her for about 3 hours. We will have about 30 minutes of time to spend before I have to go to class.

Also she goes back to the vet tomorrow to get the Bandages on her feet removed.

I remember hearing that tampons work incredibly well with the taping for holding up ears since they can be adjusted to the right length ;) Maybe a dobe owner could elaborate more on that though...

Mayasmydobe

I'm PAWMAZING!
I'm not sure about why she didnt do the dewclaws... I am not that happy with her becuase she lied to me about something (when I first contacted her I asked if she had a slightly older pup (like 1 yr) and she said no... but a google search revealed that she did infact have an 18 month old for sale)

showpug

I had my dane cropped, but that was quite some time ago.

We had a lot of problems with him healing due to the fact that he scratched at his ears a lot despite our efforts to keep an e-collar on etc.

I used tampons to post the ears afterwards. With some dogs, it can take up to 6 months of taping before they will stand on their own, so don't get discouraged and be prepared to be diligent about it if you want the crop to look nice.

Oh are there going to be pictures? I hope so!

Oh yes, you probably did not get her from the responsible of breeders is why her dewclaws are probably not done? But, I wish Maya a happy cropping of her ears. lol. ;)

Mayasmydobe

I'm PAWMAZING!
lol. yeah she is happy to have her cup off of her head. the only pictures I got of her are on my camera phone when she was still at the vets. I need to get the cable so I can post them for you.

but I do have a question, She has her ears taped and posted (the vet did it)
and I noticed a little bit ago that there was a tiny bit of blood on the tape.. just a few specks of it.

I think she scraped her ear or something. Is this okay or should I call the vet tomorrow?

Members online