Do you daydream?

milos_mommy

If you do, what do you daydream about? What did you daydream about as a kid?

Someone just asked me what I usually daydream about, and I haven't really been a daydreamer since I was 11 or 12 years old. As a kid I daydreamed about things like finding out I had magical powers or belonged to some kind of group...getting a puppy or horse...or being an adult with a house and kids and a cool job and stuff.

Now...I really don't daydream, ever.

Torch

I think I daydream a lot. Now is it always pleasant stuff? Probably not. Sometimes it's just me thinking ahead about things I'm going to get done, what I'm doing after work, etc. Often I will daydream about pleasant stuff to get through the day. What I'm going to do over the weekend, goals I have, etc. I'm not one of those kind of people that can just think about nothing lol.

milos_mommy

I think I daydream a lot. Now is it always pleasant stuff? Probably not. Sometimes it's just me thinking ahead about things I'm going to get done, what I'm doing after work, etc. Often I will daydream about pleasant stuff to get through the day. What I'm going to do over the weekend, goals I have, etc. I'm not one of those kind of people that can just think about nothing lol.
See...I don't really count that as daydreaming. Thinking "oh, I need to go to the bank and I can't wait to see my cousin this weekend and my bedroom is going to look so cool after I paint it" to me is just...thinking. Even if you're doing something else.

I consider daydreaming when people sort of play out scenarios in their heads, or think about something a little more unrealistic (not necessarily unrealistic but putting an unrealistic amount of detail into thinking about something in the future.) Like if you're imagining the way a dialogue is going to go, or achieving a goal, that's daydreaming.

For example, I'll think things like "I really want to move in X amount of months, and I need to save X amount of money, and these neighborhoods are going to be the best choices" or "It'll be great to see my old friend this weekend and maybe we can go apple picking or to this open mic night"...but I would never just imagine moving into a new place or picture the way the dialogue with my friend is going to go....

Torch

Yeah, I didn't really think that was true daydreaming :) That's about as close as I get most days.

Lately I have been daydreaming a lot about future puppy. Places we'll go for socialization, the nitty gritty of the potty schedule, that kind of stuff.

Apparently I am super cool. Lolz.

GipsyQueen

I day dream alot... esp. when I'm on the bus or the train. Can't really say what about, just random stuff.
I also tend to zone out in class... alot. As a kid I did as well. The teacher used to have to call me back into the classroom atleast 1 or 2 a day.
I day dream while driving sometimes... which is pretty dangerous. I don't mean to, but it just happens...

Airn

All the time. I did it a lot more as a kid/teen, but I still day dream. About meeting my online friends, running through different situations in my head, about having another dog, all kinds of things. The day dreams are now a bit more 'realistic' than when I was a kid.

If I read a book or play a game, I tend to day dream/dream about being in that situation. I'm a doctor in London during the late 1800's. Now I'm an Elf Ranger on a quest.... They vary :p

Lyzelle

I daydream a lot. The scenarios are sort of never ending. I'm an anxious person anyway, so before something even happens, I've played out 10 different ways it could go in my head. From what someone will say, to bumping into a stranger at the store and suddenly getting lost in thoughts about what their life is like, why they seemed in a hurry, what their spouse is like, what family life they might have...It goes on and on. And I can't turn it off.

I do it a lot on long drives, it easy for me to think and drive at the same time. It doesn't need as much brainpower as say, conversation or keeping up with an audio book. It's like watching movie after movie in my head. Maybe we are running from a bad guy. Maybe I'm thinking about a new story to write down, and I'm pulling subplots from what I'm already doing, "She was washing dishes, and didn't hear him come in the door...SUDDENLY. MICROWAVE EXPLODES.".

:rofl1: It keeps me entertained, I guess.

GipsyQueen

I do it a lot on long drives, it easy for me to think and drive at the same time. It doesn't need as much brainpower as say, conversation or keeping up with an audio book. It's like watching movie after movie in my head. Maybe we are running from a bad guy. Maybe I'm thinking about a new story to write down, and I'm pulling subplots from what I'm already doing, "She was washing dishes, and didn't hear him come in the door...SUDDENLY. MICROWAVE EXPLODES.".

:rofl1: It keeps me entertained, I guess.

Same. It's more fun than the movies.. or TV. lol As a kid I used to pretend we lived on a cruise ship. My parent's were the owners and Gipsy and I got to do as we please. I'd take her for walks when we hit land :rofl1: I'd also day dream about that all.the.time.

And yeah, when Im driving, it's not like Im not paying attention per say, but I do realize that I can't really remember what happened for a few seconds - so I guess I do tune out sometimes.

milos_mommy

Oh, I wonder about strangers/make up stuff about their lives all the time. Usually when driving, and I see a car stopped next to me, I'll try to decide where they're going, who they're going to meet, what their job is, etc.

jenv101

Bite Club
As you get closer to your due date you might find you daydream a lot. Its like all I can think about and makes working and doing anything non baby related quite difficult :p

Xandra

Allllll thee time. Usually whatever book I'm reading/ TV I'm following, I either put myself in that world or steal characters/plotlines from the story try to integrate them into my own daydream life lol. I also like to think about my 100% unrealistic dream house/property. I even have sketches and autocad models of it. Though perhaps I could use certain design features from my dream house in reality, so it isn't totally fanciful, I do think I indulge myself a bit too much. :p

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
ALL. THE. TIME.

I sometimes will put myself in the world of whichever book/tv show I am currently enjoying. Like Xandra I will also put myself in my fantasy life/house and try to make out what it would look like.

Oh goodness this is going to sound crazy but I have been building a story/daydream of me going to hogwarts since I was like..12.I come back to this daydream a lot, it builds, I've grown up, I have a close group of friends I made up and dramas and magical adventures with them. It's insane because it's been going on for almost 10 YEARS! My "friends" and enemies and other students at the school I've concocted in my head just feel so real lol it's almost natural for me to daydream about them when I am listening to music or bored.
There was a high school hogwarts and a college hogwarts (which daydream Fran now attends, obviously), and friends and powers and boy dramas and adventures with dragons and quests!

It's insane.
Seriously.

I will sometimes even pick songs on my ipod based on what is going on in the story.

Lyzelle

I will sometimes even pick songs on my ipod based on what is going on in the story.
I do that too! Sometimes it's just a song that starts the whole daydream. Like an awesome fight scene paired up with an action-y hardcore song.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
ALL. THE. TIME.

I sometimes will put myself in the world of whichever book/tv show I am currently enjoying. Like Xandra I will also put myself in my fantasy life/house and try to make out what it would look like.

Oh goodness this is going to sound crazy but I have been building a story/daydream of me going to hogwarts since I was like..12.I come back to this daydream a lot, it builds, I've grown up, I have a close group of friends I made up and dramas and magical adventures with them. It's insane because it's been going on for almost 10 YEARS! My "friends" and enemies and other students at the school I've concocted in my head just feel so real lol it's almost natural for me to daydream about them when I am listening to music or bored.
There was a high school hogwarts and a college hogwarts (which daydream Fran now attends, obviously), and friends and powers and boy dramas and adventures with dragons and quests!

It's insane.
Seriously.

OMG Fran ... you should put that into fanfiction!!! I daydream about TWD all the time & if i get a really good idea, I jot it down to put into a storyline later!

Saeleofu

I daydream A LOT and always have. I can't always remember what it was about. But when I was a kid (well...all the way up through high school) I'd daydream about horses, and they were always the same horses, they had names, I'd imagine them running alongside the car/bus as I was going somewhere, etc. Of course they had to be some crazy athletic horses to keep up on the highway :rofl1:

In general I daydream about the dogs, about the future, about Doctor Who, etc. I've gotten better about daydreaming in class, but I still catch myself zoning out on occasion. I've taken many trips in the TARDIS in my mind :p

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I daydream A LOT and always have. I can't always remember what it was about. But when I was a kid (well...all the way up through high school) I'd daydream about horses, and they were always the same horses, they had names, I'd imagine them running alongside the car/bus as I was going somewhere, etc. Of course they had to be some crazy athletic horses to keep up on the highway :rofl1:

In general I daydream about the dogs, about the future, about Doctor Who, etc. I've gotten better about daydreaming in class, but I still catch myself zoning out on occasion. I've taken many trips in the TARDIS in my mind :p
OMG I thought i was the only one who did that. LOL

I daydream a lot. I can't remember specific things I've thought about. Is it possible to be not doing anything and not daydream? lol

noludoru

Bored Now.
ALL. THE. TIME.

It's insane.
Seriously.

So, I was going to respond to this thread but you basically answered it for me. My Hogwarts daydreams are not quite as in-depth, but I totally do wish I was there.

I go back to happy memories a lot. There are just a few I really cherish. . . Miata rides out in the country listening to the Black Keys really stand out. If I want to chill I just go drive/ride in a car and let my mind wander. It's completely calming. I love going on test drives where my customers don't want to talk and I can just enjoy the ride.

Also, I am going to share that some of my daydreams are NSFW. Just throwing that out there since no one else has. I can't be the only one. :rofl1:

Last edited:

Members online