Wolf at the dog park?

I know everyone here says if you think you own a wolf you probably dont. And I usually see husky in all those dogs too. But I was at the DP last night and I could not stop looking at this dog.

He is very strange too. He doesnt play with the other dogs, just lays by his owner. His owner said he always looks up and howls at the moon like a coyote. They found him as a stray out by the desert (I live in Arizona) so a big part of me wants to believe this dog actually may have wolf in it. Also, the owners friend was there with his golden and this guy would just keep putting its jaw around the goldens neck, that is the only way he would play.

Regardless of what he is, he is very unique looking.

But if he is a wolf he does not belong at the DP

See how long and pointy his face is?

What do you guys think?

Romy

Taxiderpy
There aren't very many wolves in arizona, and since they live in packs it would be weird to find one by itself. There were some litters of coyote dog hybrids pulled from the tohono o'odham res when we lived in Tucson, but they were tiny and the coyotes around there are tiny and look nothing like that dog. Did he say how old it was when they found him? :confused:

Anyway, he looks kind of wolfy. But then he might just be a husky or mal mix. I don't think he has any shepherd. He might be a wolf or wolf hybrid that somebody dumped out in the desert when they realized wolf hybrid + home = house that doesn't look like one from a magazine

Don't know why someone would bother bringing a dog to a dog park if it didn't like to play with other dogs.

Though he does look a lot like a mex grey wolf...weird.

Dekka

Just try me..
That 'dog' looks JUST like the wolves we have here. The wolves we have here have a significant portion of dog in them (say 5% or more)

There are some morpholgical differences in wolves.. the ones that hunt large game tend to be larger and bulkier.. the ones that live in pairs and live mainly on small animals and scavanging tend to be lankier (not a weight related thing.. its genetic. I friend of mine is studying wolf DNA and types for her masters)

the wolf/dog you posted could fit in this line up of pics no problem.

This IS a case where a DNA test could tell you useful information. My money would be on almost full wolf.

Kayota

I think if the animal is well-behaved then the woman should go on telling people he's just a dog regardless, for risk of getting him taken away.

milos_mommy

I doubt a wolf would act like that at a dog park...and if he's not bothering the other dogs, then I wouldn't care what he was.

He does look VERY wolflike, though. By a fluke some mixes can look wolflike, but aside from his behavior, I'd think he was a wolf.

Dekka

Just try me..
I do know of a couple of real wolf/dog crosses both were ok with dogs. Wolves tend not to fight with dogs unless desperate. Its usually dogs who have issues with wolves.

milos_mommy

hmm idk that much about wolf crosses. I was under the impression most of the time they were very reactive, even aggressive, towards dogs they don't know well.

I remember a story about someone who had a wolf hybrid and when she walked her, she wore a harness and the dog worn a harness, and they were strapped to each other, because if she saw another dog in the distance she'd pull so hard...

Dekka

Just try me..
everything I have researched about tame wolves and crosses is that they are not likely to start fights (fighting is a dangerous route to take.. domestic animals often can afford to fight) Now I have heard of some of these wolves and crosses finishing fights.

I have heard of dogs having a HUGE issue with them. It is a problem from what I have read with the Inuit crossing wolf into sled dogs. The regular dogs will pack up and kill them.

xpaeanx

I have heard of dogs having a HUGE issue with them. It is a problem from what I have read with the Inuit crossing wolf into sled dogs. The regular dogs will pack up and kill them.
I wonder why that is????

I def think he looks like a wolf. He is very hansom though!

adojrts

I would have to agree, certainly looks like at the very least a coyote cross if not a wolf. Up here our coyotes are a lot bigger than the ones in AZ, so my guess would also be wolf.

As for his behaviour, the OP said he didn't play, and he would grab for the throat..................
Also look at the tail and the way it hangs, up here that is classic for a coyote.
I also would love to know if it was part wolf or coyote.

I was thinking coyote too. I have seen a lot of coyotes out here that look just like that, there was actually one in my neighborhood not too long ago.

I would prob bet more on coyote mix than wolf mix come to think of it.

he was gorgeous, and the "dog" played some but they liked to hike through the revine that is right next to the park and were stopping in with some friends.

naturesgift

Mo Wildlife Rehabber
I believe it goes by state as to what percentage of wolf a dog can be.
My parents are friends with someone in a different state that breed wolf hybrids. Though b/c they are native american and live on a reservation they own a full blooded wolf that they sire the pups with.

I never met their dogs, just them. Though my parents visited and they were impressed by how well behaved their dogs were.

Though we were offered a lil Blue eyed wonder as a gift. due to our other animals we declined. It would have been neat, but not really in the best interest of our animals, or the Pup.

Personally If the dog isnt causing problems I woulded cause any problems for the lady. B/c not only could she be fined but also the "dog" could be taken away and Euthanized.

Though if your worried you could voice your opinion to the "dogs" owner. hopefully she is understanding of your worries.

Mandie

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I've seen a few wolf-dogs who look really, really high content at the dog park. All of them have been very skittish, and the two I see most often are dragging long lines the whole time.

What I would be MOST worried about is prey drive. D: A wolf is naturally going to have tons of prey drive, and that could mean death for a small dog that happens to run by and trigger it. I don't feel comfortable seeing any dogs at the dog park who obviously exhibit prey drive... unless they're muzzled. Even in the "big dog" side, I see lots of Chis and JRTs and other little dogs.

It,certainly,does look like a wolf or hybrid and a gorgeous one,at that!.
Grabbing another dog by the throat is,also,done by dogs so it doesn't really mean anything!.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
I see more coyote than wolf actually. Next to that Beagle and Golden, he looks quite small. Actual wolves are I believe quite sizeable animals with long legs....built a lot like Cleo but shorter in body. The curl to the tail also makes me think of a dog rather than a wolf. It's paws also look so dainty and tiny...like a coyotes...not a wolf's.

I would imagine it is a coydog. It's face look like an Alaskan friends dog...and she's coyote and Elkhound I think.

Members online

No members online now.