A Blood Bath of a Tail

DanL

We're having a problem with Daisy and her weapon of a tail. At some point she got a cut on the end, and now whenever she wags it real hard, which is often, and it bangs against something, which is more often, it opens up the little cut and then she ends up having a blood paint brush, painting walls, cabinets, doors. You get the picture. If we go out, she hears us come home and by the time we open the front door you have already heard her tail banging against the door jamb at the kitchen and her tail is opened up. Now I try to rush in and divert her from the small area near the door and get her outside so her energetic wagging won't reopen her little scab (we're talking something less than 1/4" around, right on the tip of her tail), but it's not real effective.

Anyone have any ideas on how we can get this little scab healed up so she doesn't keep busting it open? It's not like we can keep her from being a happy girl and wagging her tail.

bubbatd

Feel for you !!! That happened here when I was keeping Amy's Lab . Nice red wall! Dried up quickly though .

B

Backward_Cinderella

Are you keeping neosporin or something moisturizing on it? At very least it would keep it from getting infected if it DOES continue to break open like that. Poor girl. Does it seem like it hurts her?

Try Preperation H. It shrinks the blood vessels, which will help stop the bleeding long enough for a scab to hopefully form.

Or you can try some of the glue bandage. (Liquid Skin, I believe is the name of it.)

For extreme cases, I've used this method, but it's sort of a pain.
http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/mending_a_tail.htm

Some people recommended wrapping the tail with all sorts of stuff, but I try to use the preperation H to stop the bleeding, followed by the liquid skin to keep it from bleeding and then let it get air.

I've seen (and smelled...GAG) too many tail injury wrap jobs gone wrong. IMO, the fast healing is brought on by air, and of course, keeping her away from walls and other things she's banging her tail against until it's healed.

I'm about to do the duct tape thing with Terra. I know it'll be a great deal of wrapping and re-wrapping, but it's better than having to cut the little whip off.

BostonBanker

I realize it is a different body part, but right now Meg is living with her right ear wrapped in duct tape. You'd think she would learn not to stick her head into a hole in the hay bales until she'd checked to see if the evil Orange Cat is there...but no. Same situation as Daisy's tail - just a tiny, tiny split, but it bleeds like crazy, and reopens every time she shakes her head if it is left unwrapped. It is the second time I've had to do this - generally after three days, the scab is solid enough to take off the tape and not worry. I've tried the New Skin stuff as well, and I was able to use it after a couple of days of duct tape last time to give myself some extra assurance, but it wasn't sturdy enough to hold the fresh wound together. Didn't try the Prep H first, though.

Jynx

just a word of caution on the duc tape, which I found out from experience! When my aussies ears needed taping, they used duc tape,,well little did I know she ended up having a reaction to it, I don't know if it was lack of air to the ears or what, but after 2 days the smell was absolutely horrid,,I took it off, and YIKES,,it was nasty nasty, she was most likely allergic to the tape itself,,but just thought I'd throw out there for something to watch.

I'd use liquid bandage,,or if you can bandage it, I've used desitin on open sores, that heals them quickly,,(but you don't want your dog ingesting it)
diane

Members online

No members online now.