Ears

elegy

overdogged
Ear people-- I really want this puppy's ears to stand. At what age should I start taking action if they're not doing it on their own? And what's the best thing to use to help them?

At this point he's only eight weeks. His right one is starting to lift just a bit at the base. The left one is doing nothing.

swabby

Good Luck. Wishing won't make it happen. Stormy is almost 7 months and has one UP and one half-UP right now. Still not worried, took Shadow's 2 years to stand.

Aleron

GSD people tend to start bracing between 5-8 months if they aren't going up on their own or aren't solidly up.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
If you want any guarantees, you need to set them now. Jan DeMello has some good videos- she usually tips her dogs ears, but one of her puppies was braced to be prick.

I don't do ears on my puppies personally, but her videos are pretty good.

elegy

overdogged
Looking back at pictures, Steve's didn't go up until 12 weeks. They were both up for awhile, then the one fell again and stayed down.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Ester-C and I would set the ears early if you want them up. Brace them up like GSD people do.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yup, I agree with OwnedByBCs - do it now. Don't take them out unless they start falling out on their own. If they fall, leave the brace out for a day or two and see what they're doing - if they start falling and don't stay prick, brace again.

BostonBanker

I thought I wanted Gusto's up at first, and my agility trainer, who is a sheltie person, said she could make them. When I first got him at 6/8/who knows how many weeks, she said "we need to do something now if you want them up". So I'd assume sooner rather than later.

When she told me he was probably going to mess with them and I would have to replace them constantly, I decided I didn't care what his ears did.

Aleron

I thought I wanted Gusto's up at first, and my agility trainer, who is a sheltie person, said she could make them. When I first got him at 6/8/who knows how many weeks, she said "we need to do something now if you want them up". So I'd assume sooner rather than later.

When she told me he was probably going to mess with them and I would have to replace them constantly, I decided I didn't care what his ears did.
This is a valid consideration too. No puppy wants or enjoys having their ears braced for months, removing the glue/moleskin/tape when they need replaced can be painful and some dogs have allergic reactions to adhesive, which can be mild to severe.

I'm no help but I do know Traveler's didn't go up until he was over five months old. I think around four months they were so incredibly down he looked like Dumbo.

Good luck! I'm a sucker for prick ears and if Didgie's hadn't said "HI! I'm here!!" a couple days after she was here I might have considered bracing them if they didn't go up by 5 months.

Paige

Let it be
I don't understand... you can take a floppy eared pup and make their ears stand if you brace them at a young age? I thought that only worked when some sort of cosmetic surgery was performed. You learn something new every day.

Aleron

I don't understand... you can take a floppy eared pup and make their ears stand if you brace them at a young age? I thought that only worked when some sort of cosmetic surgery was performed. You learn something new every day.
Yes, at least with breeds which have ears which will naturally stand. You can also make them tip (like show collie or shelties), make them lie flat (like show Aussies) or give them rose ears (like whippets).

elegy

overdogged
I think I will give them more time and see what they do. Breeder said his mama's took til 12 weeks to go up. So I'll give them another month and see what happens and start making decisions then. I'm just not wild about down ears on Border Collies.

BostonBanker

I love the half-up ears on border collies, that are the same shape as Gusto's. My friend has one that has lab ears and I wouldn't be able to stand that!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
This is a valid consideration too. No puppy wants or enjoys having their ears braced for months, removing the glue/moleskin/tape when they need replaced can be painful and some dogs have allergic reactions to adhesive, which can be mild to severe.
None of my dobe puppies have ever minded, or have had any problems. You'd be surprised what puppies deal with, without complaints. :)

I glued/molefoamed/stripped Talla's ears to stand. It took longer than I'd hoped, but in the end I'm SO glad I did it. She would have had an entirely different look, and the ear stuff never bothered her.

Talla when she arrived from Mexico:

Initial breatheright stripping:

Molefoamed:

One ear done, one still with a breatheright strip:

Almost done! Light edge taping, with glue:

Talla now:

swabby

I think I will give them more time and see what they do. Breeder said his mama's took til 12 weeks to go up. So I'll give them another month and see what happens and start making decisions then. I'm just not wild about down ears on Border Collies.
I used to feel that way. But Stormy has SO many more expressions on her face as she tries to figure out how to handle her ears.

FWIW, probably the very last thing on a BC puppy's mind. ;)

Michiyo-Fir

I would just tape them.

When I get my BC, if they don't go up on their own, I'm planning to just tape them too. Doesn't hurt anyone, and gives me ears I like.

Members online

No members online now.