So mad!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
That gigantic lab is back out there running around again!

For those that don't know, it's human and dog aggressive. It ran after me, chased me into my house and proceeded to snarl/growl/bark at me on MY patio through my glass door! It is allowed to run around off leash, with no kind of supervision. It's way over our 35lb pet weight limit in the apartments (it's definitely over 80lbs). I've contacted the apartment twice. First time they said they had to give them 10 days notice before anything could be done and to tell them if they did it again after the 10 days.

So I waited, and they did it again and again so I contacted the apartments again. Said that the manager would have to deal with it. Again, this dog is out running around free. Only reason I saw it was it was trying to get a cat (poor thing) in the FRONT of the apartments! It chased it all the way around the back of the apartments to the front, where there are often little kids out playing! Luckily no one was around and it just trotted happily back to it's own house after the cat got away, though badly injured from the blood on the dogs face.

So, I'm NOT happy. Honestly I wouldn't care tooo much if this dog wasn't so darn aggressive. I see dogs let off leash around here, that are over the weight limit all the time, but I don't really care because they are usually being watched and none have tried to attack me or Artimis. All I want is to keep this very aggressive dog under control so I don't have to be scared to leave my apartment! Especially with it being so large and artimis so small! At least I'd have a chance, he has none!

So, I called the apartments (again) just for a record, telling them this was the third time I called, nothing has been done, this dog is aggressive and it is over the weight limit.

Obviously I don't have much trust in them doing anything so I called animal control as well, which I was really hoping I wouldn't have to do. I had to leave a message (like always) so we will have to wait and see if they respond or not.

I'm so worried I will step outside with Art one day and that dog will be out there. If it see's him before I see it Art will be a goner! Or even my roommates dog who is let off leash out there.

*sigh* /rant

Lolas Dad

So how many times did you call animal control for the town you live in. They would be the ones to handle an off leash dog that is left to run around. If you do not have an animal control department then call the police.

Amanda885

yikes. that's no good. I hope someone responds and acts accordingly about this. that's just not safe. keep us posted. good luck!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
So how many times did you call animal control for the town you live in. They would be the ones to handle an off leash dog that is left to run around. If you do not have an animal control department then call the police.
For this one dog just the once today. We will see if that helps. If not next time it will be the police.

I've called the ACO's a lot before, they never show up. I've seen ACO's show up but only for pit's :rolleyes: But like i said, next time it will be the police.

I was hoping a warning from the apartments would make them leash there dog, or the note I left them asking them to leash it, and the second note they might really realize they needed to do something. Guess that didn't work.

BlueChaos

thats weird that nobody is doing anything about it:rolleyes: Have you talked to the owner?
Hope things get resolved, but carry a spray bottle in the mean time or better, an air horn.

Maura

Next time, leaving Artemis at home, go out and lure the dog into your car. I know you think he is aggressive, but he'll probably jump right in. Give him a large bone to distract him. Go to the Animal Shelter, tell them you found the dog running down the highway and don't want him to be killed.

When Giganto doesn't come home, the owners will start calling and will end up making a trip to the shelter and paying a fee. When you inconvenience someone, they pay attention.

Brattina88

Next time you see the dog offleash, I'd just call AC firsT thing. If they don't seem to help the problem, you might want to call the police. A dog as agrresive as you discribe has NO business being offleash. If a child or a small dog walked by..... :(

Send a registered letter to the apartment management, stating the dates and times you've seen this dog acting aggressively, off leash. They have liability if they have been notified and KNOW of the problem. ;)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Don't worry, I carry a big stick with me, but I still worry. It's a pretty large lab!

Animal control actually came! I keep forgetting I'm in a different county, with a different Animal Control! They seem to be much better! ^_^ Which I'm happy to see.

They didn't take the dog (which is fine!) but they gave the owners a warning at least and talked to them. If it happens again I'm told to call again. They just overall seemed to care a bit more about this dog running around.

Taqroy

What about some pepper spray? Just enough to send him home and have the owners blind and coughing too.
I was going to say this too. If an aggressive dog was coming at me and I had my dog with me I'd rather have something that sprays for a distance then have to wait for them to get in range of my stick. Also, my dogs would probably get in the way of my swing. They're smart like that. :p

LilahRoot

I hope that since AC came out and gave them a warning that the problem has been resolved. There is NO way that I would allow a dog to run at me aggressively and make me run into my house that way. What if it wasn't you, but a child?

Good for you for keeping everyone at your apts safe!

I was going to say this too. If an aggressive dog was coming at me and I had my dog with me I'd rather have something that sprays for a distance then have to wait for them to get in range of my stick. Also, my dogs would probably get in the way of my swing. They're smart like that. :p
Effective range on pepper spray isn't much more than a decent stick length. Especially in windy conditions.

Taqroy

Effective range on pepper spray isn't much more than a decent stick length. Especially in windy conditions.
Windy conditions would definitely prove problematic. I googled "dog repellant pepper spray" and found ranges between 10 and 15 feet. I imagine the effective range would be a bit shorter than that but not by much (excluding windy conditions of course). I really think it would be easier to have that in your hand and just press the trigger or button rather than trying to get a full swing in with a stick. Admittedly I haven't tried either method. :p

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
as someone whos been in range of dog repelant spray and the wind shifting, i dont suggest the stuff.

i was at the park and another guy comes jogging past me, next thing about 10ft infront of me a big dog comes jumping out at the jogger, jogger sprays the pepper spray stuff, which at the time was fine as there was no wind, but yeah, then a gust hit comming my way and i was in tears and gagging for a good 15 mins, luckily the dog also got a facefull and ran off (im told afterwards his owners were on the other side of the pond and knew he was agressive...they called the cops on the jogger for spraying their dog and in turn the dog was seized (it tried to maul the police officer and had evidence of dog fighting use) and they got a nice fine...)
the poor guy who sprayed it was appologizing profusely, hed gotten a good dose himself in the process from the wind turn around too...

i stick with a nice big walking stick now...lol.
especially since thats how we found out im allergic to capsaisan (pepper) in high concentrations...YAY epi-pen!

Members online