Out of the frying pan, into the AAAAAH

621mum

I thought Indy wanting to be up for the day at 5:15 was bad. Today it was 4:20! I took her out at 4:20 for her usual trip, but when I recrated her she just would not settle down. She hooo hoooed and made all of her (adorable but not at 4am) noises. By 10 of 5, I had given up and we were up for the day. I'm at a loss.

Currently:

She goes out around 9:30 and then to bed (I go with her, watch tv in that room for an hour or so and then go to sleep)
I have an alarm set to get her up and out at 4:20 (I've been gradually moving it back). I keep it under my pillow so the alarm doesn't get her whining before I get her out (so she won't associate going out with whining). We go outside, do business, come back in, and back to the crate.

Usually, she quietly goes back to sleep then, but only until shortly after 5. I'm at a loss. I am not trying to be a mean dog mom, but I have a very demanding full time job and six children (along with another dog, 2 cats, and a guinea pig). There is only so much I can adjust my night/day to accommodate her.

p.s. - now that I'm fully up, she's asleep on the floor at my feet. Sigh.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Honestly? Here is what I would do.

Get another crate and put it somewhere in your house where you can't hear her very well.

When she gets up to go out in the morning, take her out, put her in crate #2 where you won't be so disturbed by her, and go back to bed.

She is still quite young, and this very early morning stuff will go away in a few mos. Until then, this might be a viable alternative for you.

Ilyena

Sounds to me like she's just testing to see how much she can get you to do. If she doesn't get a response from you then she'll eventually stop (although when she's been getting used to that what she's been doing works it'll take a while). So get a pair of earplugs or something and once you've taken her out once and put her back in her crate, ignore her regardless how long it takes for her to settle down. I like Redyre's suggestion about a crate in another location so you won't hear so much of her.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I want to make sure my post is clear. When I said take her out, I meant take her OUTSIDE so she can relieve herself, and then put her in the crate in the area where you are not as likely to be disturbed until it is time for your normal get up.

:) ;)

lizzybeth727

The above advice is good, hopefully you'll be able to do it with all the other people in the house too.

I'd just also suggest that you keep her awake as much as possible! So don't let her go back to sleep at 5:30 or whenever, keep her awake all the time that you're home (except maybe short naps while you're eating or no one can keep an eye on her). She might get cranky, though, so don't expect a lot of great training going on, but once she adjusts to the new schedule she'll be much better. A good thing to do in general is to tie her to you so that if you're walking she's walking - it's good of course for potty training, but also keeps your puppy awake!

Members online