Groomer glued dog's cut ear back on.

Dirk

That the claim of the dog owner. There's a vey short story about this on foxnews.com.

ACooper

What??????????
Edit: Just read the short piece...........wow, if this is true, HOW STUPID CAN A PERSON BE???

I havent read the story at all but wanted to say that using glue is a very common way to help heal wounds both human and canine ;) But it cant be just any glue, if I remember correctly it should be a hot glue gun....maybe someone can correct me on that one???

dogstarsleddogs

The dog is never wrong!
If you need to glue a wound, best to use the liquid bandage stuff. Some people use superglue, but I dont think thats a good idea. I suppose hot glue would work, just let it cool down a bit. Being burned by hot glue is not fun!

SharkyX

Back of the Pack
I'm someone.
Super glue was orriginally designed to hold wounds together in battle if the medical personel could not get there in time.
It is not able, however to reattach severed objects like an ear. For that you need stitches and proper supervision from medical types to prevent infection.

Any cyanocrylate glue will work at holding human(or in this case canine) tissue together(although some can be toxic so it's best to use the ones designed for the job such as dermabond)...

The hot glues from a glue gun are a thermoplastic and household versions are usually suitable for craft projects. They do not have the adhesive properties to be able to hold a wound together long term like the super glues.
The other thing, super glues are stored at room temperature... household glue guns heat to about 250F (120C) to melt the glue. You'd be causing a burn to hold together a wound... not the best medical practice... and good luck getting an animal to hold still for that.

I thought I heard something about the heat being good to burn away the dead tissue allowing the new tissue to close the wound???? Evidently I was wrong on the hot glue gun though LOL, Sharkyx, thanks for clearing that up!

SharkyX

Back of the Pack
OC you're thinking of cauterizing(sp?) a wound.
that heat is generally much more intense then something that comes out of a glue gun, although you can also use acids such as silver nitrate (I've had about 10 sticks of that used on me at one time... NOT PLEASANT).
In that case, yes it is beneficial because you are burning the wound itself, which brings more blood to that area and spurs healing. It also clears out any infection.
In olden times, people would generally put a metal rod in a bed of coals and then apply it to the skin (that scene from braveheart after the pull the arrow out of the old man for example).
your basically charing a very small amount of tissue (which does turn grey and slush off... it's gross) to inspire the skin beneath to heal faster.

I've had that done, as I mentioned with silver nitrate on more times then I care to count, sometimes using up to 10 sticks of it. Silver nitrate has become the more popular way to cauterize wounds and can be used on canines also... however best a pro do it and it's not likely to have a supply of silver nitrate at home.
The process is not instantaneous and would be useless to re-attach an ear... if you wanted the tissue to heal where the ear was, then yeah this would be a good idea.

Ohhhh ok I understand now!!! Thanks!!!! I can just imagine that pleasant feeling with the silver nitrate....OUCH!!!!

BTW I heard that it was a cut ear and not a severed ear ;)

I was wondering though with cauterizing, would the same work with the opposite extreme by using some intensly cold like liquid nitrogen? Dont worry, im not about to try im just curious. My liquid nitrogen experiments saty with plants, rubber balls, ice cream and other non-living objects LOL

ACooper

Yes, my husband has been to the emergency room where they used super glue (dermabond) instead of stitches and it worked fine.

But this story is about a groomer that supposedly cut off a dogs ear and super glued it back on..............Groomer doesn't = doctor ;)

This is all there was of the story.

GIG HARBOR, Wash. — A Gig Harbor woman says she was "freaked out" while giving her dog a bath when its ear floated away.

The woman, Anni Sheriffius, told KIRO-TV that she believes a groomer cut off the dog's ear and tried to glue it back on with super glue.

The dog named Jasimin, a shi tzu, was treated for an infection.

Pierce County sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer says investigators are looking into possible charges of animal cruelty. But the pet grooming shop has shut down.

Paige

Let it be
That poor dog! Super glue is the worst. I had hair extentions super glued to my head for like 2 days once because my friend wanted to try them out on me before he did it to his own head. Ripping them out was the worst. I feel so bad for that pooch.

SharkyX

Back of the Pack
OC I don't know if cold things will work the same... however I'd be inclined to think if it was easily done, or practical to do so the medical community would have done it.
Heat pulls more blood to an area in an attempt to cool it, quickening the healing process.
Cold doesn't seem to work the same way.

Anyways using glue to close a wound and using glue to re-attach a severed thing like an ear is like such:
When using glue to hold something together such as a wound, you pull it close as you can together and apply the glue to hold it closed in much the same way as you would use stitches. Some glue will invariable enter the cut however as the cut heals together the glue is forced or simply disolved by your immune system as it breaks down during it's natural life cycle.

This won't work with a severed (or won't work as well I suppose) ear because the glue will inevitabley seep into the space between the dogs ear and the rest of it's head as it's designed to do, when the dog moves around.
This will restrict the blood flow to the severed ear causing infection and other possible problems such as tissue in the ear dying. And won't allow it to heal back together properly.
The reason for using stiches in an instances like this is that they don't restrict the blood flow in the same mannor as a glue would. You would have to support them with some bandaging of course. they also allow for more oxygen and do allow the ear to bleed which is a health process in itself in that the blood will was out an infection.

Although, all this being said.. if a glue were monitored properly by a trained vet and was maintained it would likely also work. It would not be my first choice however.

the key factors here are recieving proper blood flow to the ear and oxygen to the specific wound site. You also need to keep the site clean.
If the owner is unaware they can't do anything to maintain it. Improper wound care can have alot of different side effects. If it had gone unnoticed to long in its infected stage the dog can develop a fever and can have very serious health problem develop. Not to mention the pain of having an infected wound on it's head.

Last edited:

tinies12

Wow: I can't believe that a groomer would be that nuts!. Just away to avoid the vet bill and responsiblity! :yikes:

Members online

No members online now.