doesnt respond to voice tone

Nebis

my puppy responds fine if i yell at her but if i try to congradulate her it seems like she doesnt even know. ill give her pets and say in a baby voice good girl.. but her tail doesnt wag and she sometimes will just walk away and ignore it.ill give her a treat when she goes to the bathroom outside and then shell just search the house for about 30 min just trying to find more. is she getting the message or am i doing something wrong?

bubbatd

You may have a very sensitive pup from what I've read and yelling doesn't accomplish anything except fear. You really have to go back to basics ....I wish your breeder had read up on this,

Nebis

bubbatd said:
You may have a very sensitive pup from what I've read and yelling doesn't accomplish anything except fear. You really have to go back to basics ....I wish your breeder had read up on this,
shes a mutt i got from a shelter so im pretty much starting from scratch. ive been reading and reading on training and getting the hang of most of it but i just dont get voice tone. it sais never yell or raise your voice and dont hit but to use a low stern voice. she doesnt really react to the stern voice so i dont really know how to puish her. but she does know when she does something wrong because when she craps on the floor and i go over to scold her she cowers away

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
Please dont yell at your dog, you obviously have a sensitive dog on your hands and yelling will only make her more frightened of you. Lizzie was very sensitive when I got her, she almost portrayed an abused dog (she wasnt, just very reserved). A stern ton made her sulk, and when praising I couldnt be too vocal because she would get scared and pee. She wouldnt come when called and she was quite shy.

So I really worked on speaking to her in a low voice and when I started to housebreak she did not get yelled at when she mad a mess in the house, she was only praised when she went outside, but I never got negative with her as she was a shy girl. I learned that treats work wonders on her and thats how I got her to learn that I am Good.

Maybe you can try clicker training? With a shy dog you would need to muffle the clicker sound, because I know that with Lizzie the sound really distracts her if it isnt muffled. Good luck with your pup!

Nebis

LizzieCollie said:
Please dont yell at your dog, you obviously have a sensitive dog on your hands and yelling will only make her more frightened of you. Lizzie was very sensitive when I got her, she almost portrayed an abused dog (she wasnt, just very reserved). A stern ton made her sulk, and when praising I couldnt be too vocal because she would get scared and pee. She wouldnt come when called and she was quite shy.

So I really worked on speaking to her in a low voice and when I started to housebreak she did not get yelled at when she mad a mess in the house, she was only praised when she went outside, but I never got negative with her as she was a shy girl. I learned that treats work wonders on her and thats how I got her to learn that I am Good.

Maybe you can try clicker training? With a shy dog you would need to muffle the clicker sound, because I know that with Lizzie the sound really distracts her if it isnt muffled. Good luck with your pup!
i am doing clicker training... shes not that sensitive she plays and wrestles with me and is always on my lap or licking my face. just when i praise her it seems like she really doesnt know. and i dont yell at her i just give a stern no and she cowers.. what other less harsh punishments are there or should i just not punish her at all?

Brattina88

How exactly are you praising her? ;) It may be possible that she's not very expressive (ex. her tail doesn't go like crazy like some dogs) when she's happy

What is she doing that needs to be "punished"?
When she cowers when you scold her about messing on the floor she is not understanding what she did is wrong. She is simply acting fearful of you' of your actions. You can't scold a dog after the fact when it comes to relieving themselves in the house. Only if you catch them in the act

It'd be a better learning experiance for her if you simply interupted the behavior and then gave her something that she can do, or help her do what you want her to do.
For example, if she's biting - a simple "eh-eh" and then offer a toy, bone, or more acceptable object in her mouth

:)

Nebis

the only time i ever scold her is if i catch her in the act of going to the bathroom in the house because that is what i was taught to do. make sure to let her know when she does something wrong. the way i praise her when she goes to the bathroom outside is tell her good girl in a high pitch praising voice and rub her all over, im going to start giving her a piece of turkey every time she does something good because shes obsessed with lunch meat turkey..

Doberluv

Why are you so eager to punish an infant dog who doesn't have a clue how to live in a human's world? Punishing a puppy for going to the bathroom inside is a big mistake. Punish yourself instead for not supervising her well enough and taking her out before she goes inside. How is she suppose to know?Scolding is useless and harmful when training a dog.

There are threads on here with step by step instructions how to potty train a puppy. You have to supervise them literally every second while loose in the house and take them out often. If you catch her about to go (there are signs that you should learn) take her out quickly. Punishing makes pup think going to the bathroom is dangerous...period. Not that going in the house is dangerous. So they hold it and hold it as long as they can, then go hide it somewhere and months later you find it behind a couch all dried up and moldy and your puppy never got housebroken. When are you giving her a treat when she goes outside? You have to do it the very instant she finishes and praise a lot. Anything she does that you like, immediately....while it's in progress, reward. Potty training: the instant she's finished, as sometimes in the excitement of getting rewarded or praised, they'll stop midstream, so let her finish and praise/treat right away.

If you raise your voice, your pup first will associate you with a fearful thing...then in time she will get habituated (use to) to that volume and you'll just have to get louder and louder to be ineffective. And it's not very effective anyhow. I recommend you read up (should have been done before getting a puppy) some attention training lessons. That should be the first thing you work on. Don't think "punishment." Think "reward." Watch for behavior you like and reward immediately. Go from the first page to the links provided here: http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2001/hierarchies.htm

Here's another good one: http://www.dogpatch.org/obed/obpage4.cfm

Look for attention training or "watch me." (not sure how it's listed) But first read the concepts and how to get started.

I think Lovie responds better to Hand motion commands then the word...
Most dogs do. Dogs are very much more communicative with gestures, postures, body language than they are verbal. Most people are suprised and amazed at how good dogs are at hand signals when the truth is, it's more amazing how they learn our verbal communication. LOL.

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
I think alot of people misinterpet (mis?) punishment and correction when itcomes to potty training. If the dog messes inside its because you did not take her out when you should have. Keep her leashed to you at all times and if she does go in the house try to startle her (Im not sure the exact way, maybe someone can help?) and pick her up and dash outside. Dont punish her, simple startle her enough so she stops urinating and dash outside. If she goes outside praise like crazy!!

Members online

No members online now.