Do you do yearly bloodwork?

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Daisy does, because she is le old. I think we started when she was 9 or 10.

Liz will be 10 in September. She had bloodwork in January before her dental - because I work in a clinic, we will likely continue yearly.

JacksonsMom

This is how I feel when I take izzie to see the rehab vet every couple months. I pay money to hear she's fine.
Lol, right?! It's so funny. I mean, it's like, I know he's healthy but it's nice to hear it from a professional, I guess. Just an added reassurance. And the $150 or so vet visit that it usually entails is worth it to me.

Saeleofu

I do. Gavroche gets a mini chem panel and T4, Logan gets just a mini chem panel. Logan did get a full chem plus CBC last year before his dental, though. As they get older, what I choose to run will change. Next year Gavroche will be 7, so I will run a full chem panel every year from then on out. Probably add a CBC in there at some point, too.

I might add that Gavorche has fairly low urine spoecific gravity all the time - usually between 1.010 and 1.015. I know this because we monitored it for a while when we had a suspicion of diabetes insipidus. It's not low enough to "qualify" for that, but he also has a history of mildly elevated BUN. I want to keep on top of that, because renal failure in dogs is not pretty :(

Last edited:

Cheetah

Fluffy Corgi Addict
No. Shippo has had bloodwork done one time, and Eevee has had hers done a couple times. Both times before going under for a dental cleaning. Both of them were perfect, and neither of them have any existing health problems, so I just don't really do it very often.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I did yearly bloodwork on my ferrets once they hit about four. But the dogs...no, not really.

Chloe had bloodwork when she was around two or so, simply because of her aggression issues. Wanted to make sure everything internally (besides her brain :rolleyes:) was fine.

Gracie had a T4 done to see if her thyroid function was related to her allergies and we will have to do an NSAID panel every 6-12 months to make sure the low dose steroid she's on doesn't start affecting her liver.

I think I had bloodwork sent out on Cooper when he was neutered, because I was able to get it done for free.

But yearly...nah. I do it when I suspect a problem and I'd probably even do it when the dogs start to hit "senior" status. But if they are otherwise happy and healthy, I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Yep, I think everyone gets it now. Sally turned 9 this year, and we got bloodwork done on her this last year and will do it from now on. Jack gets meds and so has had his done annually for years. We get the birds' bloodwork done yearly as part of an avian wellness package our bird vet does, with birds they take a long time to show symptoms of illness and you want to catch it ASAP. The cats are both seniors so they get bloodwork too.

Even I get bloodwork yearly per my doctor due to meds I'm on--I think DH is the only one in the house that doesn't get bloodwork--lol.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Chloe had a full blood panel done before her spay/dental. Violets never had one, and Chloe didn't have one before then. I will likely do more on Chloe in the future since she is getting up there in age. I worry about her too much.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I read this thread and was like "yes, I do!: then realized we're talking about the dogs.

And, um, no. I am a horrible dog owner. Any time I run bloodwork I just get to hear that's healthy, and I already know that. When he starts acting a little different as he ages I'll start doing regular bloodwork.

Taqroy

Murphy does and has for the last 3-4 years. He's the only one that I schedule a yearly appointment for. The girls end up at the vet once a year for something anyway so we just do full check ups then. I think they've both had blood work done the last two or three years for random reasons.

The youngsters don't, other than heartworm every couple of years. Pip gets yearly, he's 8 and on daily medication. And the cats are all > 10 so they get yearly as well.

Lyzelle

Zander turned 8 back in February, and I'm considering starting to get yearly bloodwork done. Last couple of years he hasn't had anything done, not even heartworm since it isn't common at all in Montana. His health is a giant unknown though, coming from a BYB. His hips already bothering him, and I feel like his eyes are already getting cloudy (or I could be paranoid). He had bloodwork done before his dental and I was told it looked fine, but I didn't get a chance to talk to the vet herself about it.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Ugh yeah my cat should definitely be on a yearly schedule. He's just a typical jackass cat LOL and no fun to bring in. :eek: Actually technically Juno should probably have some checked yearly too since she's on fluoxetine? Hm.

DJEtzel

I had bloodwork done on Frag when he was almost 2 to test for a thyroid issue; we just did the full work up and found some results pretty surprising that helped diagnose his behavior with our trainer.

Recon and Sir haven't had any done other than HW tests, but Recon will probably have his done at 14 months with his neuter for a baseline. Sir will probably only have his done if we have an issue. He's healthy as a horse otherwise.

Members online