Does anyone like board games?

Doberluv

Does anyone like to sit around the dining room table and play board games anymore? Or is it all computer games these days?

When I was a kid, I played some board games, but my family really wasn't into it much. So, it wasn't a family thing....but more with some friends or my brother sometimes.

When I was married and the kids were young, we'd have friends over and play Trivial Pursuit, Pictionary, and a few other games, sometimes card games. And when the kids were older, I played the game, Upwards a lot with a friend of mine and also my daughter. It's a fun one, kind of like Scrabble but even more versatile, I think.

I haven't played any board games for some time now, but have quite a stack of them in a closet just waiting for someone to take them out and play. I'm getting a hankering just now, as the weather gets cold and being inside is becoming more appealing, all cozy, with pop corn or some kind of snack at hand. Now, I just need someone to play with. LOL. Maybe next time my daughter comes to visit or my ex. My son might, but I'm not sure he's that into those kinds of games.

What are your favorites and who do you play games with, how often? Do you go in phases or is it rather regular that you get together with friends and sit down at a table to play board games? :p

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
We love them! We don't play them often and usually it's just at family gatherings but we're still big fans.

Sorry! and Scrabble are favorites.

darkchild16

We are Home.
We are but with it just being the two of us its not really worth it right now. When the kids are older DEFINATLY will be playing them alot. I think they are honestly in some cases GREAT educational tools.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Saturday nights are game night at our place. Folks just come over if they're available and we play card or board games around the table. No video games, no computers, no TV.

If no one comes, we play as a household.

Our favourites are Munchkin, Robo Rally, Cards Against Humanity, Apple to Apples, Quarriors, Settlers of Catan and Lego Creationary. :D We also play some oldschool classics like Scrabble and Pictionary.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Saturday nights are game night at our place. Folks just come over if they're available and we play card or board games around the table. No video games, no computers, no TV.

If no one comes, we play as a household.

Our favourites are Munchkin, Robo Rally, Cards Against Humanity, Apple to Apples, Quarriors, Settlers of Catan and Lego Creationary. :D We also play some oldschool classics like Scrabble and Pictionary.
fun, I want to come over!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
We play scrabble anytime we get together with my MIL and when my mom comes down for Christmas I've already told her we'll be having a tournament LOL.

right now most of our board game play is with Hannah and her games. Chutes and Ladders (I hate this game lol I never win. I always end up hitting the LONGEST chute LOL), candy land, hungry hungry hippos, etc.

WE also like Life and Monopoly a lot too.

We had a game night at our church a few weeks back and it was SO much fun and I think we'll be planning those more often since everyone had such a good time :)

ETA: OH yeah... LOVE apples to apples lol. It's so terrible but I almost peed my pants. Last time we played (at our church game night) the descriptive word was "Quiet" and someone threw in "Hellen Keller".

milos_mommy

I used to have game night like Allie when I knew more people/lived elsewhere.

Now I don't really have anyone to play with. Bananagrams, scrabble, pictionary, catch phrase, are our most common ones, but we do settlers of catan, risk, munchkin, and citadels sometimes, too.

I also like taboo, balderdash, most word games.

Doberluv

That sounds really fun Allie...a regular game night. Very cool! I think I'll try to start something like that.

I don't recognize many of the games mentioned. Might just have to try a few of those. Hey! Does anyone have Risk? I use to....don't know if I still have it or not...think it got lost or tossed when moving or something...don't recall seeing it. Might have to buy another one. It was fun.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
That sounds really fun Allie...a regular game night. Very cool! I think I'll try to start something like that.

I don't recognize many of the games mentioned. Might just have to try a few of those. Hey! Does anyone have Risk? I use to....don't know if I still have it or not...think it got lost or tossed when moving or something...don't recall seeing it. Might have to buy another one. It was fun.
We have Risk :) We don't play anymore because Brian always wins and I pout :rofl1:

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie

Most of ours are newer/geeky games, simpler board/card game versions of tabletop RPGs. (Well, Munchkin/Quarriors are like that.) Apples to Apples is very approachable, easy, and belly-slitting laughable. Highly recommend it.

Locke

My boyfriend is HUGE into boardgames, a few of our favourites are:

- Settlers of Catan (and all the expansions)
- Carcassonne (and all the expansions)
- Zombicide
- Chicken Cesar
- Alien Frontiers

Fran27

Oh man we had huge risk parties at my parents like 15 years ago. All strategizing with others and stuff. My brother was always taking it too seriously though.

Can't say I've played many games since, but I like them. Just not too interesting with two people. The last I've played is Carcassonne, hubby has friends we used to visit pre-kids and we played that once a month.

I play all kinds of board games.

Chess - I like chess but I'm lousy at winning. :D
Stratego - Used to play this all the time but no one to play with now.
Super Rack-O
Scrabble
Monopoly
Sorry

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
We are geeky gamer types. We are part of a group that regularly gets together and plays games.

We do card games, board games, and table top rpgs.

As a matter of fact a couple of our group are indy game designers :)

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
We still play board games! And card games! It all cycles around in a rotation with video games. :p

Right now we really are into games that are "players against the game" style. We all play as a team and try to beat the odds against the game. Things like Pandemic and Forbidden Island. (We REALLY like Forbidden Island.)

We bought Agricola a few months ago and are still trying to learn it. I found Puerto Rico on sale at a Half Price Books a little while ago, too... but we haven't even been brave enough to open the box. LOL

As for card games, our favorites at the moment are Bonanza (which we just call "Beans") and Monopoly Deal.

SaraB

We are heading to a friend's house tomorrow to play Cards Against Humanity, so excited! We don't play games very much as a couple, husband hates how competitive I am. We'll play occasionally with friends though!

Locke

As a matter of fact a couple of our group are indy game designers :)
Do they have anything/have they had anything on Kickstarter? That's where my boyfriend finds most of his games.

We still play board games! And card games! It all cycles around in a rotation with video games. :p

Right now we really are into games that are "players against the game" style. We all play as a team and try to beat the odds against the game. Things like Pandemic and Forbidden Island. (We REALLY like Forbidden Island.)

We bought Agricola a few months ago and are still trying to learn it. I found Puerto Rico on sale at a Half Price Books a little while ago, too... but we haven't even been brave enough to open the box. LOL
You'd probably enjoy Zombicide then. It's all about teamwork.

I HAVE to play Agricola. I've been dying to play, but miss all the game nights for various reasons.

We are heading to a friend's house tomorrow to play Cards Against Humanity, so excited! We don't play games very much as a couple, husband hates how competitive I am. We'll play occasionally with friends though!
Cards Against Humanity is hilarious! Love that game...especially inebriated.

Members online

No members online now.