Do you ever plan on breeding?

Picklepaige

If so, do you plan on breeding any of your current dogs? Have you ever bred before? How many litters?

Pictures of past litters might be necessary :D

RD

Are you dead yet?
I had thought of breeding Eve, but circumstances changed, I wasn't able to continue her training as we lost access to livestock of the wooly variety, and I wound up spaying her as she's my service dog.

I don't see myself breeding in the near future. Too poor.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I would like to one day. But not for a long time. I would like a male BC for my next dog and don't plan on neautering so if that future hypothetical dog turns out really nicely than maybe but theres no rush.

Quinn will never be bred - she's gorgeous but there are things about her temperament and build I wouldn't want to make more of.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Possibly in the future. I'm tentatively planning a female GSD this summer, who may or may not pan out as a breeding prospect.

BTW, Knox is not even close to breeding standard. He's Mal sized, therefore entirely too small for a GSD. (Female Mal sized at that :p )

Catsi

No. I think good breeders that have the best interests of their breeds at heart do an absolutely wonderful job. I don't have the temperament for it. I'm not objective enough, I'd worry too much and I'd have a household full of 'keepers' who would do nothing to further the breed. I'm much better sticking at being a dog owner.

I admire good breeders.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I bred (well, co-bred) one litter... it'll probably be my first and last, and I'll always be bitter about not being able to keep one. Sire was a dog that I'd always wanted to breed to... finished his AKC CH at 8 months, at the time of breeding was the #7 obedience dobe in the country (and the #1 finished male in the Obedience T20 standings) UDX/OM/VER, working on his OTCH. :)

Paige

Let it be
Never. I have no desire to be a dog breeder. I will leave that up to people who would do a much better job than myself.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I have entertained the thought (as I'm sure most dog lovers have while looking at their adorable yet not yet neutered/spayed animal and watching too many disney movies) lol but no, I won't ever breed dogs.

I am simply not suited.

1. I am a clean freak
2. I get way to attached to puppies
3. Health stuff (like whelping) grosses me out
4. I live in the city (not much space for dog breeding operation)
5. I have no PASSION/time for a certain breed to the extent of showing, trailing etc.. multiple dogs to build up a name for myself and do all it takes to be a GOOD breeder
6. I like shopping.. I enjoy splurging on materialistic silly things like apple products, dresses, shoes that hurt my feet and purses. I've heard the whole puppy business is quite expensive lol

as Paige said, I would just leave it up to people who would do it better than I.

Paige

Let it be
Exactly Fran! The expense and time people who do it properly invest into their dogs is just above and beyond what I would personally be willing to do for something like breeding. Which is why I respect breeders so much when they do it ethically.

Funnily enough I'm really into the birth process of people but animals BLEH! Count me out.

Saeleofu

I would like to some day. Not my current dogs. Probably not until my current dogs are long gone. But some day, I would definitely like to.

I have high hopes for breeding Traveler if all works out with him (Health, titles, work) and the female I'm bringing in (ditto).

And since I haven't bred yet I'll steal what Adrianne did (Sloan was such a cute puppy!) did:

Traveler puppy

Toolalla Traveler by Traveling Koolie, on Flickr

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Dogs? Nope.

...I've thought about breeding ferrets, since there is like, none here, and are sorely lacking in Canada. I've talked about it with a breeder in the US, too :p. but, it likely will never happen, mainly because kits are way too adorable and I'd want to keep them all.

Toller_08

The idea has crossed my mind on occasion, but then I remember how messy and gross the Doberman litters I've helped with were. I have a very weak stomach. Plus, I feel that there are more than enough Toller breeders out there now a days (and a few really good ones at that), and I'd worry that it'd be hard to find homes for the puppies. But who knows... maybe one day. Would just depend on where I am in life, what I've accomplished with my dog/s, and if I (and the dog's breeder) felt that my dog was worth breeding.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
The male im getting, I will most likely co-own with the breeder. Depending on titles, health, etc. we may decide to stud him out to approved females. I would mostly have my breeder screen the females as she is so much more knowledgable about pedigrees, etc then me. I dont ever plan to breed a female or whelp a litter though!!! Having a stud is all I will do!
Not only the mess, hassle, heartbreak of rearing pups; I would be soooooo worried about the homes I put them in! What if something happened, what is they lied to me, what if they arent as responsible as I am and accidents happen, etc. I am a little bit of a control freak, and wouldnt be able to trust someone (lots of someones) with my babies. IDK.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
The idea has crossed my mind on occasion, but then I remember how messy and gross the Doberman litters I've helped with were. I have a very weak stomach. Plus, I feel that there are more than enough Toller breeders out there now a days (and a few really good ones at that), and I'd worry that it'd be hard to find homes for the puppies. But who knows... maybe one day. Would just depend on where I am in life, what I've accomplished with my dog/s, and if I (and the dog's breeder) felt that my dog was worth breeding.
...but I want a Dance puppy :(

Members online