Need help

I just rescued a one year old German Shepherd / Husky mix. She is beautiful and loving. However, I own two other dogs...a Weimaraner and a rat terrier. They are inside dogs. I want this rescued dog to be an outside dog...yes I do have a dog house, a kennel for shelter, and I go outside and visit her each day. I also bring my two inside dogs outside to meet her.

I was wondering if the dog will become agressive towards my other dogs or even worse me because she is jealous? I asked the vet if she would be a good outside dog and the vet said yes. However, I am worried because my friend said she will act out. Any advice? I would love to hear from anyone.

Last edited:

Doberluv

Her coat makes her OK outside when it's cold. (to a point) Heat could be a real problem. However, I don't agree with keeping a dog outside away from the family, visits or not. Dogs are derived from pack animals and need to be included in the family group. Their emotional needs are not met by being left alone outside and their behavior can suffer because of it. Short periods away from the family are fine, but living outside....no, I do not agree with doing that to a domestic dog.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I honestly wouldn't keep a dog outside alone, ever. Like Doberluv said, short periods outside would be fine, I've left my dog outdoors for a couple of hours at a time, but they always get to come back inside when they get lonely.

The only way I would ever keep an outdoor dog would be to have at least one other dog there for constant companionship. Dogs like constant contact with their pack, visits, even frequent ones, don't cut it.
In certain cases I can understand keeping a dog outside, I had primarily outdoor dogs(they did come inside their own room to sleep during the winter, and were always inside if the weather was too extreme for them.) and they never had a problem, because they were with one another all the time. They also had 40 acres of land to roam on and guard, there was always something for them to do. There -isn't- always something for them to do in a fenced yard, they can only have so much fun until they get bored and frustrated.

If I had an outdoor dog ever again, I would have at least two dogs outdoors. It's not fair to lock them out all alone.

Doberluv

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13544

This article talks about this very thing. I don't even agree with leaving a dog outside alone, even if he does have adequate shelter and his physical needs are met. A domestic dog is meant to work and commune with his people. Without that close bond and relationship, a dog doesn't live to his full potential and some behavior issues come up. I strongly recommend aclimating your dog to live indoors with you and the family, spending adequate time outside as well with things to do. Dogs do need fresh air and exercise but are soooooo social that they need to be with their family. Good luck.

W

Whitedobelover

i agree however if you let your dog out to potty and you have a fenced yard and you are going to stilll keep an eye on him say while doing house work then so be it. go for it. i think as long as you keep an eye on your dog it is okay my dobes are outside alone right now... they will be out about another thirty minutes before they are allowed back and they love it. they get to play and beat each other up which willnever happen when mom is out there.

014509Bo

Personally I think it's cruel to keep one dog outside and have the others as house dogs. It may be more humane to let someone else adopt this dog that can give it a loving stable home where the dog is allowed inside. I know many people with Alaskan Malamutes, Siberians etc that live inside the house and are happy as pigs in poop :)

My question is why would you get a dog to keep strictly outside? I honestly don't see the purpose...

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Maybe it is the way she wants to do things, and would probably appreciate an answer relating to her question rather than a barrage of negativity!!!

Lexus

Why do you want the dog if it is to be outside? I wouldn't be surprised if it gets aggressive over time, may take years of living at the end of its chain ( or in it's cage, same damage to its mind) for it to happen, but ESPECIALLY with the breeds that are in it. Those are both very active breeds that want jobs and to be with their humans.

If you are concerned that it may not make the adjustment to living inside, when I rescued my Aussie, he was a year old, and clearly not used to being inside, but he housetrained quickly, and now when it is cold or nasty out he can't run out quick enough to go to the bathroom and RACE back in.

Honestly, you may hate to hear it, but it is my honest opinion, I you intend to keep this dog outside and you are set in that decision, I hope you consider rehomeing it instead.

Last edited:

Lexus

Dizzy said:
Maybe it is the way she wants to do things, and would probably appreciate an answer relating to her question rather than a barrage of negativity!!!
Nobody is trying to be nasty at all. We are just concerned for the dog and the quality of life it is looking at.

Lex,
You made a good point, several actually but one in particular :) Huskies are known to be escape artists. I would seriously consider leaving one (or a mix of one) out for any length of time without direct supervision...

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Fair enough, but I think the way that people tend to answer things on this forum are often pretty unneccessarily blunt. Just because this dog will be outside, does not mean it's quality of life will be anyway less.

By posting on this forum, I CAN assume that the person in question is JUST as concerned over the dogs quality of life and will not do anything detrimental to it's well being. Otherwise why ask advice??

If you don't agree with it, fine, but don't make someone feel bad for their choice in how they want to do something. Noone will learn anything that way.

014509Bo

Fair enough, but I think the way that people tend to answer things on this forum are often pretty unneccessarily blunt.
:) :D You should see how blunt people are on some other forums :D I think we all contained ourselves pretty good.

Doberluv

However, I am worried because my friend said she will act out. Any advice? I would love to hear from anyone.
Dizzy, did you read the post??????

These are opinions here, not negativity. These are answers to her questions. The link posted has answers to her questions. Will the dog become aggressive? Very possibly. This is advice and that is what the poster is asking for. No one has broken any forum rules or been rude or attacking, just giving their opinions. It is the opinion of many here, including the United States Humane Society that a dog should be living inside as part of the family.

I have to agree with everyone in regards to the dog being an "outside" dog... What is the sense and how is it fair that you would keep 2 of your dogs inside and make one stay outside. Also, obviously the person knows it isn't the right thing to do or they wouldn't be asking the questions.

German Shepherds are a breed that particularly wants and needs to be with their people - inside and out. And yes, the dog would very likely develop some behavioural quirks if left outside when the others are inside.

German Shepherds really do make very good household companions. I've had one with me inside for years and years. They're actually much less trouble indoors than many smaller dogs.

Members online

No members online now.