Ore. leads nation in childhood autism, use of therapy dogs

Ore. leads nation in childhood autism, use of therapy dogs | KATU.com - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Portland, Oregon | Local & Regional
I hope the rest of the country will follow their lead.
There are about three dozen assistance-dog programs nationwide, with costs for dogs ranging from $10,000 to $15,000. However, Cottengim said it's rare for these agencies to offer dogs for children.
A lot of the organizations will not work with kids: below 16 and they won't place a dog," Cottengim said. For his 7-year-old son, "we applied to almost every dog agency on the West Coast and were denied."

That's when the Cottengims found "4 Paws for Ability" in Ohio, where it trains dogs specifically to work with children. "Their dogs also do tracking, which a lot of other dog providers don't offer," Cottengim said. "For us, that's a major benefit for a child with tendencies to want to wander off."
Autism-therapy dogs undergo 500 hours of training at accredited kennels, and are weeded out for temperament problems around children. With the number of autism diagnoses on the rise – from 1 in 150 children in 2006 to 1 in 110 children in the Centers for Disease Control's most-recent study – these constant animal companions could prove to be a parent's best friend.

"The only place they can't go are some parts of a hospital," said Curtis Jr.'s father. "They may keep the dog out if it's not necessary - for the sanitation part of it."

Sanitation is one reason Cottengim said he's asking for a hypoallergenic dog. However, getting that dog is still a ways away.

"We've saved about $10,200, and have about $2,800 left," Cottengim said. "When we're finally done with the fundraising, we'll catch one of his meltdowns on film and their people will mimic that to ensure that the dog can handle it."

Romy

Taxiderpy
Hypoallergenic dogs are more sanitary? Um, they just lack a specific protein in their dander that people tend to be sensitive to.

Anyway, I'm more in the camp that service dogs aren't really appropriate for the vast majority of autistic children. I won't say all, because nothing is ever black and white. Essentially though, service dogs are there somehow to mitigate their handler's disability and enable them to function on a fuller level than they would otherwise.

Children are not autonomous beings in our society. At younger ages they are always under the direct supervision and care of an adult. Aside from emotional comfort, there really isn't anything a trained dog could provide for the child that the adult caregiver can't or shouldn't be doing themselves.

Therapy dogs, are a totally different matter though. I think a therapy dog for an autistic child is a fabulous idea. Where, the dog doesn't necessarily have all the access rights of a regular service dog, but in the home or perhaps in a specialized school setting, the dog could really be of some benefit to the child. That's an entirely different function though.

Saeleofu

Whoa. How'd I miss this?????

It's WAY too easy for an autistic kid to get a service dog. 4 Paws for Ability is TERRIBLE. They are a supplier of tether dogs. Tether dogs = bad...very bad.

It's much harder for adults on the spectrum to get a service dog (I know from experience).

However, THERAPY dogs definitely have a place with autistic kids and adults alike. Even a skilled companion dog is a good idea of a kid - but they're for home use only.

And that's all I can manage to get out right now because I'm not functioning too well myself at the moment.

Members online