The Value of Obedience

Doberluv

I know a lot of you show in obedience and other things. I haven't gotten into that yet and don't know if I will get interested in it or not. But I know the practical value of obedience training in our dogs.

I have acreage. My dogs absolutely do not leave their property. I have a fence around my pasture, but they could get out if they wanted to. I live on a dirt road with just a couple of neighbors, but the road is quite a distance away.

Yesterday, as I do most days, I had Lyric and the Chihuahuas down in the pasture for some exercise and his obedience practice. We've been working on the long down while I hide behind a tree, and his down/stay and then he comes half way and drops to a down/stay and then I call him to come the rest of the way, (don't know what you call that) as well as his other skills.

My boyfriend's 10 month old Lab appeared in my pasture. (he doesn't keep his dog under wraps very well) First the Chi's noticed her and ran toward her, barking. Poor thing just crouched down submissively to them. And when she tried to leave, they got her crouching again. They didn't bite, but they sure were ticked. Then Lyric, my recently dog "aggressive" Doberman was running full speed toward her. You don't know how scared I was...not knowing what he might do. :eek: I yelled very seriously (hardly ever use that voice) "Lyric! Halt!" Then "Down!" OMG! I was soooo suprised that he obeyed me. He stopped and kind of crouched from my serious voice, I think and then lay down the rest of the way. Then I walked quickly to him and attached the leash and praised him. I would never trust him to be reliable but he has been 100% reliable in the case of chasing deer or squirrels when we're out on our hikes..so far.

He's going to class starting next week to learn how to be a canine good citizen. He has to learn (hopefully) not to be a thug to other dogs. He's been giving me some trouble while on leash. And I can't let him run off leash where there is a chance of meeting another dog. But I should be able to use my own land without catering to other peoples' dogs. Grrrrrrrr. I told my b.f. and he said about his dog, "she'll learn." :mad: Eh-hem.....I hope not the hard way. I think the Chi's scared her enough that she'll stay away. (hopefully)

opokki

Thats quite an accomplishment Doberluv...you must be a very proud fur mom. :)

Good work, Lyric! That's an incredible accomplishment, especially considering the Chis were after the Lab. :)

You know, it might help curb Lyric's dog-to-dog issues if you also curbed the Chis' dog-to-dog issues. The little dogs, as you know, will trigger the big dogs just about every time. Of course, you can't blame them when they're on their own territory. That's what they're supposed to do - at least until you tell them to leave it.

Doberluv

Oh, thanks guys. Yes, I think it's this Doberman breed too, that plays into this. They are sooo into their owners that they want to please and work together so much, that it often overrides their prey drive which is also rather strong. The dog/dog thing might be his protecting thing going on.....not sure.

The Chi's are hopeless little brats. They look like these sweet little toys who should be clay in our hands, but they've got the biggest prey drive or whatever, I ever saw, coupled with barely any training at all. Lyric takes up most of my time because without lots of training, he could be dangerous. LOL. Those little buggers could get eaten someday if it were a dog who didn't submit like that sweet Lab.

The only thing that gets Jose to come when he's in that full on prey, fight drive...against almost anything he's really into, is "coooookies" And yes, I do bribe him....full on bribe. Chulita will obey better, but definitely not reliable. Grrrr. Yes, they do need more work. Or rather, work. LOL.

mrose_s

BusterLove
thats great, atleast he listned, I remeber the first time I accidntly let go of busters lead when a dog was around and he went to run and i said "BUSTER" and he stopped, so proud

well done Lyric and you to Doberluv

GSDFan05

I love Dobermans, they are SUCH great working dogs. We have a beautiful one that boards with us, when I have kennel duty I'll let her out of her run and she'll follow me around while I do my chores. Dobies are definitely my favorite breed besides GSDs, they are truly what a dog should be, in my mind at least.

Doberluv

GSDs are definitely my favorite breed next to Dobermans. LOL. I've had 'em and I love 'em. I just love the versatility of Dobermans in their temperament. They can be such nuts one minute, full of fun and games, goof balls and the next, ready to be serious and work. They are sooooooo velcro and sooooo into their owners. I'm glad you have the chance to hang out with one. She sounds like a very companionable pal. They are definitely in your face, affectionate.

Aw, good boy, Lyric! Give him a hug from me.

Tippy is also somewhat dog aggressive. I was so proud of her when she gently sniffed noses with (excuse my language) the idiot neighbor's lab mix, Rocky. She dealed with the pesky thing without nipping at him. I was so proud.

Doberluv

Way to go Tippy! I wish Lyric were that tolerant. Hmmmmm....dream on...maybe some day. LOL. But at least he minded me in that one case....scary!

Members online

No members online now.