resource guarding?

Doberluv

That's so cool Renee. Yeah...I bet Lyric could be a good candidate for that kind of training. He's already suspicious of strangers, but on the other hand, in his socializing "education," I'd encourage him to take treats from strangers so that he'd further understand the difference between friendly strangers and not such savory characters. Well, not that he thinks people who don't give him treats are unsavory, but basically it was to make him believe that people we meet along the way are usually quite fine.

Ohmai: I think Renee has the perfect idea for you, there in her last post. When you put food or special treats (chicken) in his bowl and he's still snapping at you, then by giving him those things, he's being rewarded for that awful behavior. So, perhaps that little trick ought to wait until he's had a good deal of NILIF under his belt.

Here's another idea: You can also put 3 or 4 bowls on the floor spread out all over the kitchen, (use different types of bowls or a paper plate for one, a stainless bowl for the other, one of your dinner plates, a tupperware container and so on) make him sit/wait and while you're standing upright, (he has to know this skill) spill a handful of food into one. Then release him, "OK." When he finishes that handful, make him sit/wait again and spill in another handful into another bowl. Then he must wait for your release word. I'm thinking that this might make him less territorial about his bowl. It's not one bowl. It's not his. These different kinds of bowls or plates are YOURS and you're letting him use them. (not sure, but it wouldn't hurt) I'd vary it every time you feed him. You'll have to search your cupboards. LOL.

I wouldn't do this every time he eats, but maybe 3 or 4 times a week. You don't want to frusterate him or harass him too much when food is such an important thing to dogs. But he does need to see that YOU are the one providing it and he needs to earn it and respect you. Turn up the speed on your obedience training and NILIF program.

One of the biggest reasons I don't like to use treats from others to socialize my dogs (other than the obvious avoiding poisoning) is that I don't want them to associate getting treats with someone being acceptable - that way some 'unsavory character' can't give them a goody and fool them!

Of course, giving a treat to Shiva can be quite a harrowing experience if you don't know her! She's got a very gentle mouth with us and knows she can't take the treat until we tell her "okay," but with someone else she's very likely to lunge. I've never seen a dog so food-oriented before in my whole life! :rolleyes:

Doberluv

Yeah Renee. I perhaps should have thought of that. But, I suppose my fear of someone poisoning my dog was less (and not too likely around here) than my fear of him not being safe around strangers. I can go for an off leash walk or hike and if he sees someone, he is absolutely fine. He watches them, but as we chat, he becomes fairly friendly. If someone comes in my yard, he's not going to tear them to pieces. He watches. If he's indoors and someone comes, he barks quite ferociously, but again....when I open the door and speak nicely to the person, he's fine. If anything abnormal happens, something that's never happened before, he will become vicious. He's shown me that a couple of times, but didn't bite, just stood his ground and threatened with growling and teeth barred. I do like that a saleperson can come to the door and I don't have to be too worried about liablitly issues. Also, my dogs never set foot off my propery and they stay within my view. But I still think that is totally awesome to teach the dog not to take food from strangers. I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too. Well....on the other hand, I guess if I'm standing right there and say it's ok to eat it, (some command word to associate with permission) that could be differentiated, couldn't it, but difficult to do.

We can get some weird ones around here, and since the trailer rentals went in on the property next to the farm . . . . There are some really nice neighbors over there, but there are also some that well, let's just say that the nice ones have encouraged our dogs to be their friends . . .

The grrrrls are completely different animals when they're away from the farm. Kharma is relaxed but wary and sizes people up before she allows them to touch her. Shiva's getting better about that. For the longest time we didn't know if she had any distrust of strangers because that dog never met a stranger - only someone who hadn't had a chance to admire her yet! :rolleyes: Bimmer rarely ever allows anyone within his personal space if he can avoid it. He doesn't growl or make any overt gestures, he just "looks" and no one seems to want to push the issue. He's a sweet boy when he warms up to someone, but it definitely takes him awhile.

Members online