Going outside, HELP!!!

Hi my 10 1/2 old gsd puppy has all of a sudden stoped going to the bathroom outside. A few days ago she would go and had hardly any problems with her going in the house but now every time I take her she just walks around or just sits there. It all started during a storm and she didn't wana go out. But the storm has stoped for a while (few days but then anouther one came around a day later). It's still damp outside but I don't see why that would affect her. For example I took her out for about 5 min (used to go within 30 secs) and she didn't go, just stood there. So I let her in, and 1 min later she goes in the kitchen. I really need help here and have no idea how to teach her to go outside again. She hasn't gone to the bathroom ONCE in 2 1/2 days :eek: . Please Help!

Barb04

Super Moderator
Kona loves to go outside to play and if I let her in too soon, I will have a puddle or pile in the kitchen also. I find that sometimes she goes right away, and other times I just have to hang around with her for even 10 - 15 minutes until she decides to go. I can't figure her out either sometimes.

I realized you mentioned the storm, loud noise can frighten a puppy if they are not used to them. Try putting some pennies in a plastic bottle and shake it gently. Put it on the ground and let the puppy get used to it. This can begin getting the puppy used to loud noises (though not as loud as a storm). Do this outside so the puppy can see that loud noise outside are okay.

My CJ doesn't like storms either. She is almost 12 years old and would rather stay in and hold it in until it's over.

Your puppy is young and is learning to experience different sounds and surroundings. Just have patience and try staying outside longer playing or even just sitting on the ground talking to the pup.

I know others will have some suggestions for you.

German_Shepherd_Lover said:
Hi my 10 1/2 old gsd puppy has all of a sudden stoped going to the bathroom outside.
Ten-and-a-half-years or ten-and-a-half months? Will make a big difference in solving the problem!

10 1/2 weeks, Just a few minutes ago I let her out for about 7 min and she just sat there in the middle of the yard. It was really late and started to rain so I let her in. 20 seconds later she goes on the floor 2 feet away from me.

becca_4321

Oh well that's just a baby. Try keeping her out longer. Walk around the yard for awhile, give her more time outside then have a treat ready and when she does finally go outside, praise her and give her a treat.

GSDFan05

Have you made any changes in her diet recently? How long has she been living with you?

Members online

No members online now.