Separation Anxiety...Need lots of help!

Orion_123

My Parson Jack Russell Terrier of 1 year old has some serious separation problems. When we leave somewhere, we have to put him in his cage for a bit. He starts yelping and howling and doesn't stop until we get home and someone gets him. Even when we take him with us when we go shopping, we get out of the car for 5 minutes, and he starts howling as we walk to the entrance. It's extremely embarrassing, considering the whole parking lot stares at him and us. Is there anyway to teach him not to yelp or howl when he's alone?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Try using a Kong you can stuff it with peanut butter, liver treats, or what ever his fav treats are. It will keep him distracted while you are gone then after he finishes he should be tired from licking so he will sleep. Do no leave him for long when you try this so you can see if it will work then if it does you can increase the time slowly. Good Luck!!!!!!!

silverpawz

No Sugar Added
I'll second the kong suggestion. I have to use one for my pup when I leave him otherwise he'll bark his head off. The only problem is now he's learned to unstuff the kong too quickly, so I have freeze them to make 'em last longer.

Some other suggestions. Leave the TV on while you're gone.

Be sure to exercise him before putting him in the crate. If he's tired he'll be less likely to bark.

Cover the crate with a blanket or towel. Works wonders for some dogs. (beware though some will pull it into the crate and chew it to shreds, so don't use anything you can't replace easily.)

Bring a safe chew to keep him occupied when you have to leave him in the car for short periods.

Herschel

Does he have interactive toys?

I agree with the suggestion of a stuffed Kong, but here are some toys you should try:

Wiggly Giggly Ball: $10.99-$13.99
-Makes squeaky sounds when the dog moves it. Sounds are constant so it keeps the dog curious, doesn't require batteries.

Rip 'Ems: $4.00-$6.00
-Stuffed toys that your dog can rip apart!

Hide-A-Squirrel:
-Squirrel home with three stuffed squeaky squirrels. Your dog will have a great time trying to get all of the squirrels out.

I buy all of my toys from http://www.sitstay.com. All of the above mentioned toys should be widely available at your local pet stores, though.

Members online

No members online now.