in-cabin airline travel w. dog...advice?

pangpang

Hey, long time reader, first time poster...

My dog is supposed to be traveling with my wife and I Christmas Eve to visit my family on the other side of the country. I am worried that there will be some issue with her travel though. The airline has told me the dog must be able to stand on all fours inside her carrier "without restriction". So, I exchanged my medium soft carrier for a large soft carrier (only an inch higher), and it doesn't look a whole lot better. I have seen my dog "stand on all fours" in it, albeit in a slightly crouched position...however, most of the time, she makes it look worse than it is, and will sit on her butt in a crouch. From what I understand, this is the biggest size they have for height (11 inches). I wouldn't want a bigger one anyways, as the current one is already huge (gym bag sized) and makes me worry that the bag size alone will now be what is refused.

Does anyone have any experience with in-cabin dog travel? When, if at all, do they inspect your bag and dog? I figure if I make it to the gate, my chances are good. I don't see how they would (a) refuse a family on Christmas eve and (b) keep the entire plane waiting while they searched through the checked baggage for our bags.

I have seen bigger dogs in terminals too, so I know it can be done. My dog is just a little tall (13.5 inches), but is really no bigger than a large Yorkie. I've seen Westies and Beagles in my time at terminals, much larger dogs than she is.

Anyone have any advice, suggestions? It would be heartbreaking to us, our dog, and my family, all of whom are anticipating her arrival more than my own.
My biggest "strategy" at the moment is to play-up the "C'mon, it's Christmas Eve!" thing, but I would like something more concrete if you have it.

Good advice will be unbelievably appreciated. Thanks in advance.

bubbatd

Didn't the airline mean the standing bit was for carriers that go in cargo ?? I really don't know the resrtictions for on-line carriers. Don't they have to fit under the seat ??

pangpang

Yes, the carrier has to fit under the seat.
I couldn't put my dog through "checking" her as baggage. My dog is frail and weak.

C'mon you people who travel with your Westies and Fox terriers and such other sized dogs. I've seen you prancing around the terminals (which means that these dogs are in-cabin travelers, and not checked baggage). Give me your advice.

The sore back thing would be a last desperate attempt after "C'mon, its Christmas!". I would really play that up, and say it as loudly as possible to strike pity out of fellow travelers on the flight.

pangpang

I believe the dog has to be able to stand in the carrier under the seat, but now that I think about it, that does sound ridiculous, doesn't it? only the smallest of small dogs could fully stand up under the seat.

pangpang

From the airline:
The pet must be able to move comfortably in the kennel (stand up and turn around). The kennel must fit completely under the seat forward of the customer and remain there at all times aboard the aircraft.

pangpang

Airline:
Maximum kennel dimensions are: 22" L x 14" W x 9" H (56 cm L x 36 cm W x 23 cm H).

Though my carrier is bigger, I am using a soft-shelled carrier, so it could easily fit those dimensions with a little compression.

Looks bad doesn't it?
But this is what I don't understand. Much bigger dogs than mine are flying cabin.

pangpang

Actually, for anyone that cares, it looks as though the height of my bag is only 2 1/2 " over, so I think I'm probably good on that...the length and width are actually under their max.

Actually dogs aren't checked in at the sme spot as baggage, they're checked in much later so they don't have to spend as much time in the crate and will be put on the plane last so they can be taken out first which is why you see them in terminals. Also, customs don't give a rat's behind what time of year it is, or what state your dog is in. You want to fly out with your dog for christmas? Well they want to be home for Christmas but they have to be at work instead. Ok that's a litle unfair, it's not that they're mean grouchy people, it's actually because if they bend the rules a little bit for one person, they have to do the same for all the other 300 people boarding the plane, and the 1000's of people who use their services every year. Either the dog is small enough to suit regulations for in-cabin flying, or they get sent under - dimple as that no ifs ands or buts. Oh ya and I wouldn't try to win them over with the "but it's christmas" deal, that'll just annoy them and make them want to get rid of you faster by declaring "Either he goes in baggage or he doesn't go at all and niether do you!" Oh ya and they will delay the flight to find your baggage and pull it out. Surprisingly, it's pretty organized under there so they wouldn't have much trouble locating it.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
i haven't travelled in the cabin with a dog, but with my cat when i moved to the US. she was definitely not able to stand up on all fours in the carrier, but nobody even checked on that. i'm sure she wasn't all that comfortable (this was a 9 hour flight), but better than having her ride in cargo.

just be absolutely sure your carrier fits all requirements and measurements fall within the guidelines you were given.

bubbatd

If they go cargo , it depends on the temperature too ! I shipped a pup from Indy to Denver but all was AOK! No throwing up, pooping or peeing !! But then, it was a Golden !!!

I bought my Boxer and 2 cats from South Africa to Switzerland which is a 10 hour flight, and they were 100% Obviously the boxer couldn't fly in-cabin, but it went better than I thought.

My neighbour flies with her Westie to Sweden twice a year in the cabin with her and it goes very smoothly. If you like I could ask her how she does it?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
to add another concern - keep in mind that regulations differ between international and domestic travel.

before i moved, i had asked the airline about requirements and they gave me measurements the carrier should not exceed, so i went and bought a soft carrier that fell within the specifications. when i called in again wanting to confirm some details, they told me that a soft carrier isn't approved and i must get a hard carrier (plastic crate type).

from talking to friends of mine who travel with their dogs on domestic flights in the US i always hear both soft and hard carriers are accepted.

Dreeza

i would try and get as much info out of the airline as possible, as i am sure every airline deals with pets differently...

i dont have much more to offer...other than i would be terrified to put my dog in cargo...never done it...but one time i heard a guy yelling and screaming and cussing out the airline people cause they lost his dog...and they were telling him he needs to calm down cause there were families around...after they LOST his GSD!!!!!!!!!!!

anyways, just REALLY make sure you understand the requirements correctly, and just ask how strict they are...things like that....you dont want to get there, and have them be like "oh, that sucks, 2 cm too high"...cause like OC said, lol, they are there on xmas eve....the most likely will be grumpy!

It also depends on the airline you're using. Some of them say the animal must be in the crate the whole flight, others say you may bring the animal out once the plane is in the air but it must be leashed, can't be on the floor, and can't leave your seat.

Members online

No members online now.