can't be left alone

roni

K-9 lover ;)
I hope that maybe someone can tell me what I need to do. My 8 month old puppy (Rookie) cannot be left alone. We thought that he would be ok while to went out for about an hour. We have another indoor dog and he was there with him. BUT when we got home, he was so out of breath from crying and screaminig. Is there something that I can do to help him get through this? :(

Barb04

Super Moderator
My stepson leaves the television on for his puppy to watch. I used to leave a radio on for my dogs and actually still do to this day. These distractions seemed to help keep them entertained.

candy722

Yeah you have to leave your dog alone gradually. Another thing you can do to train your dog to be alone is to put your dog in a room by himself even when your home. Let me cry and whine and don't open the door. And whenever he stops crying you let him out. This will train him to know that when he cries or whines you won't let him out until he stops.

roni

K-9 lover ;)
Thanks for all of the info. Yes...he has ALOT of safe toys tp play with. He just follows me around making sure that I don't leave. I will try to leave him for a very short time as was mentioned above. I will keep ya'll posted over the nexe few weeks. Thanks again!

Batman

I'm a Rat Terrier
Hi roni,
I just wanted to add that it may not seem like it is getting better but eventually if you keep leaving him alone he will learn you will come back. My 12 week old has gone from barking the entire time I am gone to just for a minute or 2. :D But it took four weeks to get hear.

I also sometimes just leave for 5 minutes... so he learns that sometimes when I leave I will come back right away.

Members online

No members online now.