Pet Food Recall - information

mindif

As you have probably heard – there is a major pet food recall taking place. Many leading pet foods have been affected and several pets have died as featured in this recent news article http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17650075/from/ET/ This is already the third recall in 2007 alone!

Check your pets food and treats for wheat, corn, or by-products listed in the ingredients. If so, discard the products immediately.

There are many commercial pet foods that need to be ashamed for their actions.

Cat foods currently being recalled:
Americas Choice; Preferred Pets; Authority; Best Choice; Companion; Compliments; Demoulas Market Basket; Fine Feline Cat, Shep Dog; Food Lion; Foodtown; Giant Companion; Good n Meaty; Hannaford; Hill Country Fare; Hy-Vee; Key Food; Laura Lynn; Li'l Red; Loving Meals; Main Choice; Nutriplan; Nutro Max Gourmet Classics; Nutro Natural Choice; Paws; Presidents Choice; Price Chopper; Priority; Save-A-Lot; Schnucks; Sophistacat; Special Kitty; Springfield Pride; Sprout; Total Pet; My True Friend; Wegmans; Western Family; White Rose; and Winn Dixie.

Dog foods currently being recalled:
America's Choice; Preferred Pets; Authority; Award; Best Choice; Big Bet; Big Red; Bloom; Bruiser; Cadillac; Companion; Demoulas Market Basket; Fine Feline Cat; Shep Dog; Food Lion; Giant Companion; Great Choice; Hannaford; Hill Country Fare; Hy-Vee; Key Food; Laura Lynn; Loving Meals; Main Choice; Mixables; Nutriplan; Nutro Max; Nutro Natural Choice; Nutro; Ol'Roy; Paws; Pet Essentials; Pet Pride; President's Choice; Price Chopper; Priority; Publix; Roche Bros; Save-A-Lot; Schnucks; Springsfield Pride; Sprout; Stater Bros; Total Pet; My True Friend; Western Family; White Rose; Winn Dixie and Your Pet.

Did you know that the FDA does not regulate the pet food industry?

Did you also know that most commercial pet foods are made from less than human quality ingredients.

Did you know that most pet foods bought in the store have been sitting around for as long as 18 months before you buy it?

Did you know that dogs and cats have the genetic potential to live 20 - 25 years but we are robbing those years from their lives with cheap pet foods.

Here are some procedures that we follow to provide your pets with a safe and nutritious product.

· All the products are manufactured in a USDA facility.

· All of our ingredients are individually inspected for human quality and carry the APHIS certification (a European standard for human quality ingredients)

· Every vendor must supply an 'assurance statement' with each shipment. This statement must provide nutritional quality of ingredient provided AND must state it is free from any mold, bacteria, and so forth.

· Dr. Jane has the ingredients tested AGAIN before manufacturing to make sure the quality is as stated AND it meets her standards

· The product is tested 3 times during the manufacturing process - to again assure everything is 'as it should be'.

· The product is tested again after manufacturing and again when it arrives at the warehouse.

· One bag of food is kept at the warehouse - from each batch - to test in case a Customer has a problem or concern with the product. Each 'one bag' from each batch is kept for 1 full year.

· The products are shipped directly from HealthyPetNet's warehouse to the Customer - no middleman warehousing (concerns of proper storage and pest control).

Can you say all of that about your current brand of pet food? Probably not.

Please feel free to give our products a try today. Compare them to your brand and see our difference! FREE SAMPLES ARE AVAILABLE! But remember, it's also about more than is on the label.

For your protection, we are not sold in stores, you must purchase online for fresh and safe home delivery <a href="http://www.healthyfitpets.com" target="_top">http://www.healthyfitpets.com</a> .

Mindi Fredrick
www.healthyfitpets.com

Zoom

Twin 2.0
INGREDIENTS: Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Potato Product, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E)), Dried Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Natural Flavors, Flax Seed Meal, Egg Product, Fish Meal, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Carrots, Apples, Canola Oil, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Celery, Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Bifido bacterium bifidium fermentation product, Streptococcus faecium fermentation product, Aspergillus oryzae fermentation product, Spinach, Grape Seed Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Panto-thenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Dimethyl-pyrimidinol Bisulfate (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Citric Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein...26%
Crude Fiber...4%
Crude Fat, ...16%
Moisture, not more than 10%

Better than some, still not the best though.

mindif

Actually, here's the correct ingredient list

Yes, I know they haven't updated the website.

Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Potato Product, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E)), Dried Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Natural Flavors, Flax Seed Meal, Egg Product, Catfish Meal, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Carrots, Apples, Canola Oil, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Celery, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Bifido Bacterium Fermentation Product, Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Product, Spinach, Grape Seed Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Citric Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Selenium Yeast, Calcium Iodate.
Metabolizable Energy (ME) = 441 kcal/cup. Amounts are based on the use of a standard measuring cup.
Crude Protein, not less than..............................................................26.0%
Crude Fat, not less than....................................................................16.0%
Crude Fiber, not more than...............................................................4.0%
Moisture, not more than...................................................................10.0%

And I've heard Dr. Jane Bicks (the Holistic Veterinarian that formulated the food) tell why she used each ingredient. And she'll answer questions on why each ingredient is in the food, should someone wish to ask her.

mindif

Potato Product

Potato Product is the term that AAFCO (who regulates what terms should and should not be used on labels) says to use. Anyone who doesn't conform to that *(for instance says "whole potatoes, or anyother term) isn't conforming to industry regulations, so what else are they lying about.

Dried Potato Product

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description

Dried Potatoes are composed of potato by-products from a food processing plant. The main component is potato skins that have been steam extracted without the use of chemicals or artificial aids. Other components could be misshapen pieces as well as limited amounts of fryer skimmings. The product is mixed, dried, and cooled. Uncooled dry material is used as feedstock for the wet products going into the dryer.

Typical Analysis
Crude Protein 9.0% minimum
Crude Fat 3.5% minimum
Crude Fiber 4.0% maximum
Moisture 12.0% maximum
Calcium 0.20%
Phosphorus 0.40%
Potassiuim 2.50%
Magnesium 0.29%
TDN 80.0%

Usage

Dried Potato product is equal to corn in energy value while having 1 ½ times the protein value. The heat treatment of the product greatly increases the bio-availability of the nutrients.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Potatos are in a lot of good foods, Innova for example, but they're using the whole potato, not steam-treated skin by-products.

mindif

First off, yes, dogs do eat potatoes. Yours might not, but mine will sit waiting for bites when I'm cutting up veggies (potatoes included).

Secondly, whole potato is NOT the proper terminology to use in an ingredient list - not according to me, according to AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials - www.aafco.org)

According to AAFCO, you are supposed to use the term POTATO PRODUCT for ANYTHING that is potatoes. If they say "whole potato" they are NOT in compliance with AAFCO.

Purpose and Function of AAFCO:

The purpose of the corporation shall be to establish and maintain an Association through which officials of any state, dominion, federal or other governmental agency and employees thereof charged with a responsibility in enforcing the laws regulating the production, labeling, distribution, or sale of animal feeds or livestock remedies may unite to explore the problems encountered in administering such laws, to develop just and equitable standards, definitions and policies to be followed in enforcing such laws, to promote uniformity in such laws, regulations and enforcement policies, and to cooperate with members of the industry producing such products in order to promote the effectiveness and usefulness of such products.

mindif

I don't agree with everything they do either, but hey, do you agree with everything that your law makers say? They still make the rules that are supposed to be abided by.

Saje

Island dweller
What's wrong with potatoes? I've seen it in a lot of good foods. Sakari eats them raw and they all love them baked.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Heck AAFCO doesn't even care what animals you use. You can just put "meat" in place of an actual animal.

Saje, Tosca likes potatoes too. She LOVES sweet potatoes. I feed them and pumpkin to my one cat who has a bit of a spastic colon. Tosca will grab raw potatoes of either type and eat them if I let her. She LOVEs certain veggies raw. Like carrots. I give her one a few times a week.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Nothing wrong with potatoes, but potato skins?

Heck, Buddy eats sweet potato and salmon food. We're bias over here.

I have a feeling of... :spam: with this thread.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Yes, I know they haven't updated the website.
I remember you saying they hadn't updated the website more than a month ago when you came here to sell that food. It seems to me that if a pet food does not contain menadione, somebody would move a bit faster to remove it from the ingredient list. I asked you then if you were financial affiliate of Life's Abundance eg, their Home Business program. So I'm still wondering. It would be a fair thing to tell people at a web site rather than doing posts that say you feed and and have "great luck" with it. So could you please just tell us? Do you sell Life's Abundance, the food that is only sold via the net?

Members online

No members online now.