The Official "What are you reading" Thread

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Band of Sisters... I cant stop crying though. Makes me think of Charla. :p
I am a sap. haha

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Interview With a Vampire. Hopefulyl i'll finish it this time. I've read part before.
I read that (and did a report on it). It was....odd.

So I finished Neuromancer finally. Took me a long time because I started to read On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony when I was about half way through Neuromancer which meant I had to go back and read several chapters to get caught back up.

But On a Pale Horse was a mixed bag. It's about this guy who kills Death and thus assumes his position as Death and goes gallivanting around doing stuff. The character development was meh and the writing was horrible (some parts just didn't make sense, the characters did illogical things, complete 180s in character behavior within a paragraph, and convenient 'outs' that would just pop up for no reason in certain situations) BUT the concept was good and interesting so that made it finishable.

Neuromancer was really good. If you like sci-fi and haven't read it yet, I suggest you do so.

On the way from Amazon for my 'To Read' list is Dune by Frank Herbert (which will be a re-read so probably will get delegated to the end) and Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik.

After that I plan to do Hyperion (Dan Simmons), Forever Peace (Don Haldeman), Shaman's Crossing (Robert Hobb), re-start Gardens of the Moon (Steven Erikson), and then read Proficient Motorcycling (David Hough) as my non-fiction book.

But right now I'm at an impasse. I've not read the Sword of Truth nor The Wheel of Time series. I hope to read both series in their entirety eventually but they're both very long (I think both have 10 books at the least) and each book is very long as well so I have to 'commit' to one. Any suggestions as to which is 'better'?

I hate that there's so many books and so very, very little time.

I'm currently reading book 2 of the Wheel of Time. Therefore, GO, I suggest you read Wheel of Time. But not if you read faster than me.

I actually read the 1st book and half of the 2nd book about a year ago and then I got distracted. I started the 2nd book all over again yesterday. I think it's only a matter of time before they make a movie based on this series.

noludoru

Bored Now.
So I finished Neuromancer finally. Took me a long time because I started to read On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony when I was about half way through Neuromancer which meant I had to go back and read several chapters to get caught back up.
What's it about?

Right now I'm reading a dog training book by Pat Miller.. and, honestly, I could have skipped it - there is nothing in it that is new. I think I'll be giving it to someone as a gift, because I don't really need it, and it's a good book.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
The Wheel of Time series is a great one. Love it. Unlike so many modern fantasy series that are just LOTR knockoffs of various styles, it has a unique premise and storyline. It's very involved, with a ton of elaborately entertwined characters. Some complain it's too many, but I think it just adds a lot of depth.

Victory of Eagles is a very good book, but have you read the rest of the Temeraire series?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
The Wheel of Time series is a great one. Love it. Unlike so many modern fantasy series that are just LOTR knockoffs of various styles, it has a unique premise and storyline. It's very involved, with a ton of elaborately entertwined characters. Some complain it's too many, but I think it just adds a lot of depth.
I started them but stopped when I found out the author is sick and not writing, so there's no ending.

He died. Not sure what they will do about the ending now.
The ending is coming out next year by another author, Brandon Sanderson. I think he's going off the notes that Robert Jordan had made for the last book.

From Wikipedia article on Wheel of Time:
Jordan had repeatedly said that the main sequence would conclude with the twelfth book, with a working title of A Memory of Light. Numerous times, including most recently at ComicCon 2006, he said he would hold to this statement even if it has to be 1500 pages long. Before his death Jordan had planned to write two more short prequel novels, an encyclopedia, and possibly two or three other side-plot novels.[8] Aware that he might not live to complete the series, Jordan prepared notes so that the series could be finished the way he wanted it to be.

With Jordan's death on 16 September 2007, the conclusion of the series was in question. On 7 December of that year, the publisher, Tor Books, announced that fantasy author Brandon Sanderson would finish A Memory of Light,[9] using notes, written chapters, and audio recordings of the story provided by Robert Jordan before his passing

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Victory of Eagles is a very good book, but have you read the rest of the Temeraire series?
Yup. And I wasn't going to read Victory of Eagles so soon until I found it on Amazon for $10. Decided that was better than waiting for May to get the paperback.

Personally I love the series. Novik isn't the best author around (she has some writing issues) but her concept is awesome. I bought His Majesty's Dragon as a side thought because I thought the cover looked cool and went in knowing nothing about what the story was supposed to be. I thought it was just going to be a medieval book with a king getting a dragon. Was pleasantly surprised!

Nolu: Neuromancer is a bit hard to explain. Dude is a hacker (not in the modern day sense though. He literally gets immersed in his programs and doesn't want to leave at times) who had his nervous system attacked. Some people come and free him with a radical surgery to neutralize the mycotoxins and thus he owes them a debt. It's a pretty standard story line (for the most part...) but it's the world and characters that Gibson draws out for you that sucked me in.

Look into it. A lot of people acclaim it as the 'greatest sci-fi book ever written' and such bits. I don't know that it's the greatest but it's pretty **** good.

I am reading Various Positions, Leonard Cohen biography. I just finished Duma Key, that was one of S Kings greats! Have a whole pile of to reads but I only read at work so I don't go through them as fast. :D

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I just started Twilight. I took my daughter to see the movie this weekend so I figured I'd read the book as well. She just finished the 2nd one (in like a day) and is bugging me to take her to spend her border's gift cards to get books 3 and 4.

I know the book and the movie won't match up. I treat them as separate entities. I won't suddenly dislike the movie because I read the book, or hate the book because it's not like the movie.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I just started Twilight. I took my daughter to see the movie this weekend so I figured I'd read the book as well. She just finished the 2nd one (in like a day) and is bugging me to take her to spend her border's gift cards to get books 3 and 4.

I know the book and the movie won't match up. I treat them as separate entities. I won't suddenly dislike the movie because I read the book, or hate the book because it's not like the movie.
I'm finally reading Twilight right now as well... I'm about halfway through it. I want to see the movie after I finish the book.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
I'm reading one of the books I got for Christmas. "The Dogs of Babel"

It's alright so far. Not fantastic writing, but an easy, enjoyable read.
Just for the record: horribly depressing book. Past the first few chapters I got seriously depressed reading this, to the point that I was hiding away and crying. I wanted desperately to just walk away without finishing it, but I just can't do that.

Members online

No members online now.