Vibrams.. running in the city?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I'm due for new running shoes. So of course I went to the nike store but on my way there, I stopped into the vibram store and really liked all they had to say and even tried on a pair! (called the c-ya or something..they had laces)
I would love to have a pair just for running.. but what I'm concerned with is how this shoe will protect my joints..considering I run almost exclusively on concrete/sidewalk.
they also need to be good dog walking shoes and yea.. concrete. Lots of it.

Right now I wear Nike frees..which are pretty minimal.

I can't believe I am even exploring these options but I see a few runners wearing them and they rave about no more chin splints and such so I figure..why not?

and what was your routine for getting used to them? I am thinking of maybe doing c25k again to kind of wear them in

I am not a runner, I am VERY far from it indeed. But I LOVE my vibrams! I have worn them walking for several hours at a time through, Cozumel, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and now Cabo and I have got t say they are by far the shoes that make my feet happiest! I do have plantar fasciitis, and have had it for three years, any other shoes over anything other than going from my truck to my door, and my foot is freaking killing me, unless I'm wearing my Vibrams! Can't wait to get another pair in the spring!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I've never had trouble walking on concrete in a Vibram sole. We went on a 5-miler around the block the other day (...big blocks...) and I was fine.

Running...I know people do it but I can't. At least not long distances. That said I have the thinnest of the thin...WT10 Minimas and KSOs...maybe a thicker sole would be better but I run on dirt primarily so don't worry about it...I like thin.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Yep, no more shin splints for me! When it's not winter, I generally run 10-15 miles a week (on grass/gravel/pavement) - in Spyridons.

I got used to them by doing C25K from the beginning. Worked very well.

FG167

I find it a little painful to run longer distances in my Bikilas on cement the whole time. I've found the key to my shin splint issue is zero drop soles, they also help my flat feet issues. I am in love with my new Altra Intuitions. Cushion for cement but zero drop. I wear them for warmth when it's wet and cold and if I'm going 5+ miles on cement.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
P.S. Fran I thought you hated toe shoes with a firey passion? lol

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Shai.. I very much still do :rofl1: and will somehow have to figure out how to run without looking down at my feet.

but I've "run into" lol a few runners who have nothing but rave reviews and frankly.. I'm intrigued. I've got to nike for all my shoes/gear for years and have been happy but again.. intrigued. I want to see what it would be like for my foot to work..like a foot.

Plus my running form could use some work (I toe-strike) and think minimal shoes might help with working that out.

Problem? I have never been a barefoot person. I wear shoes all the time.. wear socks in the house. I was never a kid that walked around barefoot ever, especially outdoors lol other than at the beach. So I'm interested to know what it would feel like

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I'm telling ya...NB Minimas...you should try them on and see what you think.

The WT10s have no rise and an incredibly thin and flexible sole. It's almost like wearing socks that have a rubber bottom to keep your feet clean.

I know I tend to sing the praises of them but I really really like them, and I am a person who would happily go barefoot forever if the world wasn't so gross (and sometimes very cold) ;)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
You might also look into Brooks' Pure line. I'm in PureFlows right now (working my way down to more minimal, though I love them so much I might not keep working down... looooove them...)

My shin splints went away in hefty traditional ASICS running shoes. Just a different pair of hefty traditional ASICS running shoes than I was in when I had shin splints.

Are you having pain with the Nike Frees or just thinking of switching just for something different?

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
I have several pair of Vibrams and love them. While I love them, I wanted something that looked normal for work, even though I can wear Vibrams without issue.

I searched high and low and tried many different shoes that claimed to be a minimalist shoe. I finally bought a pair of NB Minimus and I LOVE them. They are the closest thing I've found to a Vibram with a solid toe box. They also do a much better job at keeping your feet warm in cold weather. I can wear my NB without socks, and my feet stay warmer than when I wear wool socks and my Vibrams.

....and to answer the question asked. I don't run miles, but I do jog and do it on concrete/grass and have used both and never had an issue.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
OOoOo Just saw the minimus online and they look good! There is a new balance store on newbury! I'll go see and try em on :)

I love my nikes. No doubt about it. I am just looking for a change, there is no pain or anything, but they are an expensive pretty shoe and I am looking for something a bit more minimal

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
OOoOo Just saw the minimus online and they look good! There is a new balance store on newbury! I'll go see and try em on :)
They have a couple different sole thicknesses to try to see what you like. Like I said I have the WT10s which are on the thin side. And they come in black and I can get by wearing them for work many days :)

Saeleofu

If you've never really been barefoot, one of the VFFs with a thicker sole is probably a good starting point, and you'll have to work your way into them VERY SLOWLY. C25k is too fast for someone who doesn't go barefoot ever. Wear them just to walk in for a few weeks, or depending on how you adjust, a few months. Then do a drawn-out C25k...maybe do each week twice or something. If you're doing it all on pavement, it needs to be drawn out even longer, lest you end up with stress fractures.

I wear KSOs and LOVE them. I do not run on pavement yet, but I wear them all the time. When I was in middle school I ran track, and I got shin splints ALL THE FREAKING TIME. I don't get them anymore, and I just overall feel better when I run.

I'm seriously considering getting a pair of Minimas for work, though, since my boss is stupid and won't let me wear VFFs :rolleyes:

FG167

How are the minimalist shoes with bad ankles? My doctor wants me to start C25K and I don't have any specific running shoes and have stupid ankles....
Done wonders for mine! I have "weak joints", always had to have my ankles and stuff taped for sports. I don't have the problems at all anymore. The key was that I used to roll them badly in regular running shoes...just on flat surfaces. They're just weak. It's almost impossible to roll in really minimalist shoes.

Done wonders for mine! I have "weak joints", always had to have my ankles and stuff taped for sports. I don't have the problems at all anymore. The key was that I used to roll them badly in regular running shoes...just on flat surfaces. They're just weak. It's almost impossible to roll in really minimalist shoes.
I do the same thing, but now that im reading your post it has never happened in my vibrams! I think it's because you can feel the ground.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Yeah I've wrecked my left ankle twice -- once playing softball and the baseman stepped on my ankle -- second time I stepped in a hole and twisted as I fell on a long cross country run...I was numbed enough by that point in the run that i ran another mile before realizing how trashed my ankle was. That one was especially bad.

As a result it's pretty easy for me left ankle to just fail on me, but I've been fine for years since switching to the minimas and my ankle seems stronger (probably partially because I'm not twisting it all the time!) so I don't seem to twist it in other shoes any more either.

Just me though, I imagine experiences vary.

That said I switched when I was already injured due to shin splints and a sore knee so I couldn't run far in them at first. Was already used to walking around in socks all the time so switching for walking didn't cause me problems. A guy at work who runs a lot made the switch while healthy and he tried to ease into them but was in the habit of running long and overdid it...ended up having to take a month or so off to recover because he really screwed himself up. Just a warning...

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I used to roll my ankles in regular shoes all the time... VFFs eliminated ALL ankle rolling for me!

Feet in shoes are basically weak, uncoodinated blobs of flesh and bone. When you wear minimalist footwear, you actually buff up your foot muscles... and bam, instantly you have useful, functional feet again! :)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I used to roll my ankles in regular shoes all the time... VFFs eliminated ALL ankle rolling for me!

Feet in shoes are basically weak, uncoodinated blobs of flesh and bone. When you wear minimalist footwear, you actually buff up your foot muscles... and bam, instantly you have useful, functional feet again! :)
(emphasis added)

Well, over time anyway. How much time and the risks between depend on a lot of things including the basic structure of your feet, how readily a person adjusts their striding if s/he is a big heel-striker, and whether the feet are damaged or merely weak.

The people I've personally seen who had the most/fastest success with these kind of shoes are, ironically, people who were very out of shape beforehand. Seems almost like since they were easing out of a sedentary lifestyle and weren't capable of going far/fast right away so they were forced to ease into it, and often they didn't have years of running heel-first because they never really ran, period.

The people I've personally seen with the worst trouble transitioning or with resultant injuries were people in very good shape with hundreds/thousands of miles of running heel-first. It takes longer to retrain the stride style and when your mind and whole body are geared to run and run and work through fatigue it can be easy to overtax and end up hurting yourself.

Just my experience though.

Members online

No members online now.