Vibes for Miles please (up for adoption)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I'm a little flustered about a dog at my work. A friend and coworker of mine rescued him when he was a about to be euthanized, but now he needs a home. The foster home she had for him fell through so he has just been living at my work. Personally I would prefer he wind up a Chaz dog, but he really just needs a good home with patient people and needs a lot of training. He's listed as an pit mix and he definitely is some sort of bully breed, but honestly I'm terrible at telling the difference between pitties, staffies, etc. This dog is a powerhorse and has really nice muscling. I could see him doing weight pulling honestly if he was conditioned up to it.

That said, he has some skin conditions right now that have gotten worse over the course of time that he has been with us. Supposedly he has demodex mange, but his belly, legs and muzzle are completely red and he has a couple bald spots on his back that are red. I almost wonder if it could be allergies too since he wasn't red at all until he was started on Blue Buffalo.

My friend has been self medicating him with constant baths and applying nu-stock on top of he is getting fish oil and some sort of skin supplement. Whoever is on shift that day takes care of him so we have all been caring for this boy. I've grown pretty attached to him and if I didn't have Bamm I would adopt him in a heartbeat, but him and Bamm just wouldn't be a good match for each other at all.

I just really think he needs to see a vet since it isn't getting any better and its going to be hard for us to adopt him out like this. A couple of my coworkers and I have been talking about it and the three of us are going to pitch in so we can get him seen by the vet. Considering I was helped out with Cricket when I was in a tough spot I feel like I should pay it forward so to speak and I just really have a soft spot for this dog and want to see him healthy and adopted out to a great home.

We haven't told my friend that rescued him yet that we want to get him in to the vet. Not sure if she will be offended that we aren't happy with how this self medicating and self diagnosing thing is going. But really, we just want to see him get better and as of right now he is miserable.

So vibes please? Vibes that she will be ok with us helping him. Vibes that we can get him seen quickly and get started on a proper treatment. Vibes that someone will want to adopt him soon. I can get photos of him for anyone interested. He does get along with other dogs from what I've seen at the daycare, but he gets offended easily if a dog snarks at him and will hide in a corner and mope lol. Supposedly he showed aggression to the person that was going to foster him and she said she was afraid of him, but we haven't seen any aggression from him at the dog daycare.

I do have paypal if anyone wishes to help out in any way, but right now we won't know how much his vet bills will be until we get him seen.

Zhucca

Lab Love
If it is demodex mange then the vet bills won't be bad. Duke had it and it took 2 months to clear (caught early) and was only 25 dollars every two weeks to fill medications.

Good luck with him. :)

Miakoda

Baths and Nustock aren't going to clear up demodex.

Could you pm me where he's located? I can get word out to a few pit bull rescue people I know. :)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Miakoda I sent you a PM

I talked to my friend that rescued him from the kill shelter about him really needing to see a vet. She sighed and agreed. I can tell she is frustrated with the whole situation... Mainly because he is not getting any better and he needs to start getting better before he can be adopted out.

Next step... A lot of the vets out here are super expensive. I'm going to browse around tonight to try and find some reviews on local vets somewhat near my work and get an idea of their prices. I'm hoping we can get him in early this upcoming week.

I did take some photos today. I need to get them onto the computer so I should have them posted on this thread shortly.

Brattina88

:( so red and inflamed, poor baby. I agree, he needs to see a vet. Does his skin have an odor? A skin scraping doesn't cost too much here, not sure about your area.
He's really cute and I love his eyes. I wish for the best for Miles :)

Miakoda

Poor guy. :(

He defintely needs a skin scrape and a fungal culture done. In the meantime, you can give him Benadryl 2-3 times a day, and that will help him with the itchiness and discomfort. The dosage for Diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl) is 1-2 mg per lb of body weight. So if he's 50 lbs, you can start at a 50 mg dosage. With some dogs, the relief is immediate, but with others it can take upwards of a week to start really having an affect.

If this were my dog, I'd give him 75 mg of Benadryl in the am, 50 mg around lunchtime and another 75 mg dose in the pm. (just space it out evenly)

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Oh wow he looks pretty bad. He didn't look like this in the pics you texted me a while ago. I was wondering how this dog was doing. Poor guy. {{{{{Vibes}}}}} for healing and finding a home!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Oh wow he looks pretty bad. He didn't look like this in the pics you texted me a while ago. I was wondering how this dog was doing. Poor guy. {{{{{Vibes}}}}} for healing and finding a home!
Oh I know. He didn't look like this at all. Had a few patches of hair missing but no redness and they looked like old patches at the time. I talked to the lady that works (or worked) at the shelter he came from. She said that his original owner gave him up when he was a pup because he was having skin issues and that he has always had little flare ups of demodex mange from time to time especially if anything changes in his life, but that this is the worst she has seen on him. :( He is super super sensitive to change apparently. Calling the vet clinics first thing tomorrow morning if my coworker doesn't get to it before me.

Cristy, you would seriously love this dog.

Miakoda

Check out the fundraiser put into place to help him. Go over to the Fire Hydrant. :)

spiffy

<<<<< Vibes >>>>>> poor dog...his skin condition must be making him uncomfortable. Good luck on your endeavor to find a new home for the dog.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Ya. He went to the vet. It's demodex mange and they said his immune system is probably weakened. They gave him Ivermectin and some meds to treat the mange. I'll have to check what type of meds they gave him tomorrow. I should be seeing him tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.