What do you think Joey has in him?

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Aside from the fairly obvious (Ibizan), what do you think Joey could possibly have in him? I'm curious if his other half is sighthound or not and though I can obviously label him as Ibizan mix, I wonder if technically he could also be considered a lurcher or not. Of course, there's no way of knowing for sure what other influence he may have in him, but thought it would be interesting to hear your guesses. He's 25 inches tall at the shoulders and about 40lbs.

He was labeled as an Ibizan (purebred) when I picked him up off Craigslist, but he definitely has some non-beezer-ness such as the brownish liver colored nose (It looks black in pics sometimes, but it's not black).

Some of the guesses I've had from the Ibizan crowd as to what he could have in him: Podengo, Another Podenco breed, Azawahk and Sloughi. It seems most Ibizan mixes tend to maintain mostly Ibizan characteristics though from what I've been told by a few people.

A few pics I've posted recently:

DSC_0515COPY by PawsItPhotography, on Flickr

DSC_0494COPY by PawsItPhotography, on Flickr

DSC_0521COPY by PawsItPhotography, on Flickr

DSC_0552COPY by PawsItPhotography, on Flickr

A little skinny in this pic since this is when I first got him

Dekka

Just try me..
Why do you assume there is something else in there. He looks all beezer to me. I would think that crossing a beezer with an equally or more rare breed is less likely than he is a very cute, but less correct example of his breed.

Lyzelle

To my (very) untrained sighthound eye....he looks more Podenco breed or Azawakh to me. His hind end is definitely more sloped, not as square...but that could just be bad confo breeding, too. His shoulders and elbows are saying something to me too, their angles and how low/forward they are set on his chest. Same with his neck and throatlatch connections. It's just sorta saying Azawakh to me...especially if I picture him a solid color and down'd ears.

But keep in mind Liver/Red comes in many shades, so that doesn't necessarily say that he is or isn't one thing or another. And bad breeding can go a long way, too.

He could definitely be all beezer, no reason why not.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Why do you assume there is something else in there. He looks all beezer to me. I would think that crossing a beezer with an equally or more rare breed is less likely than he is a very cute, but less correct example of his breed.

Because pretty much a lot of Ibizan folk have made it fairly clear it's near impossible for him to be pure and have such a dark nose. It seems if I mention he's Ibizan on facebook I get some people correcting me that he is either Ibizan mix or more likely a Podengo mix and not Ibizan at all. A few Ibizan people have said it's still possible he could be purebred though really poor breeding.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
He also has a pretty interesting roach in his back. Not sure if that is beezer since I've seen some that have roaches though not as roachy as his if that makes sense... I'm considering having a chiropractor check it out to make sure he doesn't have something funky going on with his spine since I plan to try and do CAT with him.

Dekka

Just try me..
From doing research into coat genetics I can tell you many a breeder in many a breed has their heads stuck in the sand when it comes to what is "possible"

You would need to know the genetics of a darker nose. Since beezers are supposed to have light noses, could this just be a dark version of what is correct? If the only reason you are thinking he is crossed with very rare breeds is that his nose is a little dark (but not the wrong colour) I don't think that is the most logical answer.

ETA I know some JRTs with roached backs from less than stellar breeders, but that doesn't make them mixes.

He could be a mix, but I would think that would be less likely.

Lyzelle

I think Beezers are dilute red, right? Like in Sibes and Vizslas?

Genetics behind that is...dilute goes over another color. Like creamer in your coffee. The darker the base (or stronger the coffee) the darker the outcome of the red will be. But if the dog was a tan point or something much lighter(like a light roast in coffee)...then the end result would be lighter, too.

Thus why dilute reds can come in a variety of shades.

ETA: Actually, the Vizsla comes in clear "ee" red. Not brown. Oops. So that's a possibility, I guess.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
From doing research into coat genetics I can tell you many a breeder in many a breed has their heads stuck in the sand when it comes to what is "possible"

You would need to know the genetics of a darker nose. Since beezers are supposed to have light noses, could this just be a dark version of what is correct? If the only reason you are thinking he is crossed with very rare breeds is that his nose is a little dark (but not the wrong colour) I don't think that is the most logical answer.

ETA I know some JRTs with roached backs from less than stellar breeders, but that doesn't make them mixes.

He could be a mix, but I would think that would be less likely.
^^That. I think he's purebred. I am still arguing with Summer's breeder over what color she is. She's even registered as the wrong color.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I tend to agree with Dekka on this one. The standard specifically mentions that there shouldn't be black or liver on the nose - to me this indicates it is in fact genetically possible...

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Sounds like the beazer people are looking for zebras because they heard hoofbeats.

I see a slightly rough coated ibizan.

Romy

Taxiderpy
If his nose is a variation of liver and not actually black (I thought it was black from the pics) then yeah he could be purebred.

After reading all the stories of his shenanigans swiping your stuff... it wiped any doubts of his beezerness from my mind. :rofl1:

I definitely don't think azawakh. Aside from being incredibly rare, their behavior is soooo different from other sight hounds. They're used as guard dogs in their homeland, most in the US are less than 6 generations out of working for a living. They're not just "aloof", they're downright distrustful and I'd expect an azawakh mix to be a lot more suspicious of strangers (they're much more like a cur in that way)

If he's mixed, I'd think it was podengo. Plenty of beezer breeders keep podengos on the premises so if there was going to be an oops it's more likely it would be something like that.

Barbara!

Idk, he looks pure to me, but he could just be back yard bred. You keep breeding the same breed badly through different generations, you can definitely come back with something that looks a little wonky.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
If his nose is a variation of liver and not actually black (I thought it was black from the pics) then yeah he could be purebred.

After reading all the stories of his shenanigans swiping your stuff... it wiped any doubts of his beezerness from my mind. :rofl1:

I definitely don't think azawakh. Aside from being incredibly rare, their behavior is soooo different from other sight hounds. They're used as guard dogs in their homeland, most in the US are less than 6 generations out of working for a living. They're not just "aloof", they're downright distrustful and I'd expect an azawakh mix to be a lot more suspicious of strangers (they're much more like a cur in that way)

If he's mixed, I'd think it was podengo. Plenty of beezer breeders keep podengos on the premises so if there was going to be an oops it's more likely it would be something like that.
Ya Joey doesn't sound like he has the Azawahk temperament at all. He actually isn't really aloof at all that I've seen. He will politely greet some people though others he just wants to bounce up to face level to say hello (we're working on that). He's very friendly with people he doesn't know and is quick to warm up to them.

I just took a couple closeups of his nose. For some reason when I take pics from further away his nose looks so much darker so here are a few closeups.

COPYDSC_0658 by PawsItPhotography, on Flickr

COPYDSC_0659 by PawsItPhotography, on Flickr

COPYDSC_0660 by PawsItPhotography, on Flickr

COPYDSC_0661 by PawsItPhotography, on Flickr

S

SevenSins

Looks pure to me. Someone should probably inform all of these breed "experts" that rescue dogs rarely conform wonderfully to their given breed standard... :rolleyes:

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Looks pure to me. Someone should probably inform all of these breed "experts" that rescue dogs rarely conform wonderfully to their given breed standard... :rolleyes:
Exactly.

I'd consider this chihuahua to be ONLY chihuahua:

Even though he looks much different from this chihuahua, who has his ch:

momto8

His legs are so long, says a possibility of Azawakh. His muscling in his rear legs is wrong for a beezer. The roached back is way off too..this is not seen in Ibizan's. You see puppies with very high rears that gives an appearance of a roached back, but this is a stage that they grow out of pretty quickly. His back could very well be roached up due to being crated alot ect.

I think no matter what is in him that he is beautiful and very special :)

Aleron

I found this and think it's interesting:

"Very dark brown or black eyes suggest impurity. If one looks at pictures of some of the rural farmer's hunting packs one will see many miss colored dogs with dark pigmentation. There are of course many stunning pure individuals in their native land. I have seen videos of entire packs of hounds that any breeder here would be proud to claim." http://www.amberlithe.com/articles/20

Because it sounds like dogs in the hunting packs in the breed's native land do sometimes have darker pigment. American breeders may have determined this is "impurity" but it can be hard to say what the truth is.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Wait... That's a black nose? It looks red.

I am sorry the beezer people are being rude.

Honestly if Backup was a rescue I guarantee people would question his short stature(he's 21 3/4 in), long back(easily longer than tall), light eyes, long coat (not Terv but longer than most mals), and lemuristic behavior but the truth is he's very much a purebred Malinois.

They're not all born to be perfect to the standard and some breed fanciers are just silly.

S

SevenSins

His legs are so long, says a possibility of Azawakh.
The dog's legs, from the elbows down, are actually fairly short. What makes him look like he has super long legs is a combination of long upper arm, shortish scapula, and almost no angulation between the two which is making the point of elbow fall awkwardly far below his ribcage.

The roached back is way off too..this is not seen in Ibizan's.
Like these?

BYB/rescue dogs don't follow standards. ETA: Not implying the above dogs are either of those, I pulled a photo off the internet showing a structural point that the quoted poster said didn't happen in purebred Ibizans.

Members online

No members online now.