Prospective new puppy. CAN'T DECIDE. HELP!

momto8

I'm partial to sighthounds, and I love beezer's so i'd say go with the beezer lol! Who are the parents for the available beezers? I know there are a bit of pups available right now so just curious :) I haven't had a beezer pup yet, but heard they are quite the handful, but an absolute joy to live with! And to add..beezer's do make very good alert dogs, they are not good guard dogs, but they will bark like crazy if ppl or animals are outside!

Gypsydals

I think no matter what breed you pick (minus the Fila) is going to take their que from the Zois. And if they aren't barking then the puppy may or may not learn to bark. I know Ivans breeder has 2 beezers and from being raised with the dals they will bark and alert.

Grab

I suppose it would depend on what your living situation is/will be. Renting with a large breed...particularly one so protective in nature, can be challenging.

I think any dog with a bark will serve your purpose fine.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Thank you Fran, that door alarm looks awesome!!!

Oh man. Okay. I think it will be either a fila or the borzoi. The dam of the prospective fila litter is 110 lbs. Dad is substantially larger, but if the breeder has a runty female with the perfect temperament that could totally be my perfect dog.

Then I have to wait and see what bozos are born and all. That's what it will boil down to.

Ridgebacks are pretty awesome. I haven't had much interest in owning one, but do like them.

And aussies are one I hadn't considered. I'm not really a herding dog person at all, but aussies are independent enough I could get along with one more than most of the breeds if neither one of these options work out.

Barb04

Super Moderator
How about flood lights attached to motion detectors to go off when someone is there. I have no input on the breed as I think in your heart you will decide which you want.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Oh man. Okay. I think it will be either a fila or the borzoi. The dam of the prospective fila litter is 110 lbs. Dad is substantially larger, but if the breeder has a runty female with the perfect temperament that could totally be my perfect dog.

Then I have to wait and see what bozos are born and all. That's what it will boil down to.
If the Fila litter will be on the ground and ready to go before the Borzoi litter, that sounds like the best plan of action. Then you are technically not passing up on either, but just waiting to see which pup will be the best fit.

Romy

Taxiderpy
How about flood lights attached to motion detectors to go off when someone is there. I have no input on the breed as I think in your heart you will decide which you want.
Well, last attempted break in (2 weeks ago now?) was at 11 am in broad daylight with us home. Fortunately we keep the door locked even when we're home so she didn't make it inside, and the police busted her :cool:, but there's not a lot in terms of alarms that would have stopped her.

It would be nice to get a floodlight for the backyard though. The front yard has 24/7 floodlights anyway because my dad is super patriotic and built a giant flag pole, then installed floodlights all pointed at it to keep the flag illuminated at all times. :lol-sign:

filarotten

Fila the love
Well, you know me...I'm going to say the Fila, however the Ridgeback wouldn't be a bad choice. The more I see them, the more I like them. But, under the circumstances, probably the Fila would be a very good choice. Just remember, the older they get the more protective they become. I personally think Brindles are a little more forgiving with strange kids, than Fawns.

110lbs. Female, I can't imagine one that small. :D Almost a purse size. Just what I have been wanting. :rofl1::rofl1: I need a shrink ray like cartoons have, so I can shrink mine down ocassionally and carry mine around when I get the urge for a purse dog. :D

Romy

Taxiderpy
Well, you know me...I'm going to say the Fila, however the Ridgeback wouldn't be a bad choice. The more I see them, the more I like them. But, under the circumstances, probably the Fila would be a very good choice. Just remember, the older they get the more protective they become. I personally think Brindles are a little more forgiving with strange kids, than Fawns.

110lbs. Female, I can't imagine one that small. :D Almost a purse size. Just what I have been wanting. :rofl1::rofl1: I need a shrink ray like cartoons have, so I can shrink mine down ocassionally and carry mine around when I get the urge for a purse dog. :D
lol! The breeder told me that a lot of fila breeders would consider her "soft", then went on to describe Kharma's temperament. lol.

I'm really hoping for a black. Mom is brindle and dad is black, so they could have all three colors. She said that in her litters she notices temperament is more an individual dog thing than a color thing. Have you ever met any blacks?

If I get a black I want to name it Judge. :D

And if we end up with a fila, I'll be crating her away from the kids when they have friends over. Kids roughhouse, and I don't want anybody getting hurt due to a misunderstanding.

~Tucker&Me~

And if we end up with a fila, I'll be crating her away from the kids when they have friends over. Kids roughhouse, and I don't want anybody getting hurt due to a misunderstanding.
I think that is your best route. You just never know, and with a dog that is so programmed to protect, it is probably safest for everybody and will give you the most peace of mind :)

filarotten

Fila the love
No I have never had the pleasure of meeting a black Fila...I'm waiting for you to get one, so I can. :D Well, I did for a few minutes. Unfortunately she died soon after being born. :cry: She was the first pup born and Cleo accidentally killed her.

I would have that puppy around every kid in the neighborhood, as much as possible. You may end up having one spend the night, eventually. It will be much easier on you, and your Fila, Judge, if (and jury ;)) it is used to being around kids other than your own. Filas are NOT QUIET when they are not allowed around their people. Especially kids. They can watch out for their kids peacfully with other kids if they are socialized around them enough. Judge will be happy stealing the ball from them and playing in sand box, swimming. ;) rofl

Romy

Taxiderpy
No I have never had the pleasure of meeting a black Fila...I'm waiting for you to get one, so I can. :D Well, I did for a few minutes. Unfortunately she died soon after being born. :cry: She was the first pup born and Cleo accidentally killed her.

I would have that puppy around every kid in the neighborhood, as much as possible. You may end up having one spend the night, eventually. It will be much easier on you, and your Fila, Judge, if (and jury ;)) it is used to being around kids other than your own. Filas are NOT QUIET when they are not allowed around their people. Especially kids. They can watch out for their kids peacfully with other kids if they are socialized around them enough. Judge will be happy stealing the ball from them and playing in sand box, swimming. ;) rofl
That's really good to know, lol. My kids have 20+ cousins under the age of 10 living within 30 miles of us, and they like to have sleepovers and playdays all the time so as a puppy it would definitely be heavily socialized with the young cousins at the very least. I'm kind of hoping it'll adopt them as honorary family members. lol

Gypsydals

Well, last attempted break in (2 weeks ago now?) was at 11 am in broad daylight with us home. Fortunately we keep the door locked even when we're home so she didn't make it inside, and the police busted her :cool:, but there's not a lot in terms of alarms that would have stopped her.
You need an Ivan, Romy. When I'm home I don't worry about locking the door. ANY ONE attempting to walk through my door with out me inviting them is going to get the door slammed off their nose. He knows before anyone steps onto the porch (yes hes the little old lady who watches the 'hood). And he runs for the door being as loud and mean as he can and then he jumps on the door. Needless to say I don't have uninvited people into my house. And I like it that way. LOL
Too bad you weren't looking at Dals as your 3rd dog. They are great watch dogs.

And there's even a question in your mind? With all the other crap on top of that? ;)

Romy

Taxiderpy
lol Renee. It just shows how much I love my zois. :p Have to wait and see who all is born, and what is meant to be will be.

And dude, I would totally take a cloned Ivan or Rage. Plotts are awesome. I hadn't really looked at dals because of the potential health issues, but they're pretty cool too.

Romy, I have a solution for you. Get a zoi and a fila. Then, one can live with you and the other can live with me. Then after, say 6 months, we switch. I see absolutely no holes with this plan.

Members online