Ebola

crazedACD

I don't mind Obama but I cannot in any way, shape, or form understand this.

http://rt.com/usa/196556-ebola-obama-us-protocol/
Obama told reporters after a hastily convened meeting with 20 senior White House officials, including Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, Vice-President Joe Biden and Attorney-General Eric Holder, that he himself had close contact with health workers treating Ebola patients while visiting Emory University Hospital in Atlanta and felt safe doing so.

“I shook hands with, hugged and kissed not the doctors, but a couple of the nurses at Emory, because of the valiant work they did in treating one of the patients. They followed the protocols, they knew what they were doing, and I felt perfectly safe doing so,†said the president.

because the only thing that matters is the perception of the mob. It's why all politicians flip and flop and make statements.

This country is freaking out over Ebola, if he doesn't come out and make a statement and have the appearance of every resource going to stop this ongoing threat, they freak out even more. The mob is ignorant, almost completely, they get almost all of their knowledge from headlines made to agitate and excite them and expect those in charge to react like they would to headlines and that carries over to much more than Ebola, that's just what has caught their attention for the moment.

You'll see all sorts of stuff from all sorts of politicians, trying desperately to spin anything that has the mobs attention to case themselves in a proper light. The facts are that if the gov't came out with the level of concern this probably warrants, the mob would be even more infuriated. This country definitely doesn't need that.

amberdyan

Eh. I kind of get it though. He is confident that those medical professionals handled those Ebola patients with the proper protocol. All information sources are somewhat biased and this website is definitely jumping on the Ebola scare bandwagon. They have posted several CDC tweets about who has Ebola and where they have traveled, but they haven't posted any of the NUMEROUS tweets that the CDC has put out saying that 1. Ebola is not contagious until symptoms are present, and 2. Ebola is not transmitted through the air. It is only transmitted through bodily fluids or contaminated needles. If Obama hugged a nurse that had just treated an AIDS patient (which is also only transmitted through bodily fluids/contaminated needles), would it make the news? Probably not. We're just in the middle of an Ebola scare, so now it's a headline. Maybe we've all been watching too many zombie movies :p

I hope this doesn't come across as me attacking you in any way. I just hate that the media jumps on things and twists them so that it's really hard to get real information.

joce

Eh. I kind of get it though. He is confident that those medical professionals handled those Ebola patients with the proper protocol. All information sources are somewhat biased and this website is definitely jumping on the Ebola scare bandwagon. They have posted several CDC tweets about who has Ebola and where they have traveled, but they haven't posted any of the NUMEROUS tweets that the CDC has put out saying that 1. Ebola is not contagious until symptoms are present, and 2. Ebola is not transmitted through the air. It is only transmitted through bodily fluids or contaminated needles. If Obama hugged a nurse that had just treated an AIDS patient (which is also only transmitted through bodily fluids/contaminated needles), would it make the news? Probably not. We're just in the middle of an Ebola scare, so now it's a headline. Maybe we've all been watching too many zombie movies :p

I hope this doesn't come across as me attacking you in any way. I just hate that the media jumps on things and twists them so that it's really hard to get real information.
I just want to again say how much I hate saying it is spread like aids. I treat people with aids often and a respirator and gown are NOT normal. The fact is it is caught easier because it does live longer out of the body and can be spread from a kiss or not washing hands etc. I doubt these nurses had a needle stick which would be the likely aids transmission. Even body fluid in mucus membranes they do not do prophylactic tx.

And I'd like a final say on how long it lives outside the body. We are told at work that it spreads easily in other countries because feces in water= everyone infected yet here it dies in the water? Is that simply because it's treated? What about our Great Lakes etc? And some info says the reg masks hospital gives us does not offer protection because sneeze=mucus=technically airborne.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
And I'd like a final say on how long it lives outside the body. We are told at work that it spreads easily in other countries because feces in water= everyone infected yet here it dies in the water? Is that simply because it's treated? What about our Great Lakes etc? And some info says the reg masks hospital gives us does not offer protection because sneeze=mucus=technically airborne.
The virus can live several hours on a dry surface and several days in bodily fluids it can live several days.

If you get in contact with an infected surface though it needs either a break in your skin of contact with mucous membranes like the inside of the mouth or the eyes to make it into the body.

One of the big sources of infection in Africa at least is the way they handle and prepare their dead for burial.

Here is an article that talks about the hows of transmission a bit.

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/1/6878695/ebola-virus-outbreak-symptoms

amberdyan

I just want to again say how much I hate saying it is spread like aids. I treat people with aids often and a respirator and gown are NOT normal. The fact is it is caught easier because it does live longer out of the body and can be spread from a kiss or not washing hands etc. I doubt these nurses had a needle stick which would be the likely aids transmission. Even body fluid in mucus membranes they do not do prophylactic tx.
I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I'm not at all in any medical profession, I was only basing my conversation off of information provided by the CDC, which is biased toward containing the fear of Ebola. I also did not mean to insinuate that people with AIDS are/need to be treated with masks and respirators.

Members online

No members online now.