The Blinker Saga

Grab

If you were in AZ I'd totally try to convince the vet I work with to take him :) She has a mini Aussie/ACD mix already and she loves merley things :) They don't do sports, but they do hang out with horses, and do horsey things.

She's not necessarily looking for another dog, but she has made several "want!" comments when merley things were available

JacksonsMom

My very irrational self wants to bring him home, for what it's worth. :p

ME TOO. A part of me is saying "I really want. I really want. I think I should just do it". Because I want a herder, but was scared of getting a dog TOO crazy for me, and he really sounds perfect for me as far as energy levels go. But I'm not quite there. We're moving sometime in May/early June and it would just be a bad time to add a dog at this very moment. :(

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
ME TOO. A part of me is saying "I really want. I really want. I think I should just do it". Because I want a herder, but was scared of getting a dog TOO crazy for me, and he really sounds perfect for me as far as energy levels go. But I'm not quite there. We're moving sometime in May/early June and it would just be a bad time to add a dog at this very moment. :(
I added a dog while living in a pop-up trailer 2 months before moving 1,000 miles. It can be done. :D

SaraB

He is a perfect first herder boy! Just saying....

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
If you wait for the perfect time, it'll never come. The time is never perfect. ;)

SaraB

Blinker is working on a bunch of stuff! He really is extremely smart and now that he's getting more comfortable with me, he's starting to push boundaries a bit (just what I want to see!).

Retrieve
He's bringing back toys!! Even better? He's very good about switching from food rewards to toy rewards without skipping a beat. Very good to have for future training!

Tug
He's initiating tug, even on a rope leash. He's really starting to get into it now, doesn't mind getting pushed around either. He initiated a game of tug with his leash today at work while there was a really noisy agility class going on. Good boy, tug is fun!!

Dog Catch
My goal with this is to get him thinking about his whole body. When I got him, he wasn't even ok with putting his front feet on things or people. So far he will jump into my lap while I'm sitting in a normal chair. He's gaining confidence which is great!

Balance Ball
Again, trying to teach him body awareness. He's ok sitting on it and will jump from a stool onto the ball willingly now. He will jump onto the ball from the ground with a little help.

Sit/Down
He kind of had a sit before, but it's much better now. He just learned down this morning and is rocking it!

Mat Work
Just started mat work this morning. He's williingly going back to the mat, we are working on having him offer a down.

It's Your Choice
He offers eye contact during It's Your Choice in a variety of places now! I think this is pretty generalized at this point.

Nose Touch (hand or target)
Started this to introduce clicker training, he's getting it! He does give up quite easily though, he's still not completely sure what the point is.

Disc Work
We are working on bite work at this point. He loves chasing the disc with rollers but isn't confident to grab it. So tugging and bite work right now. Building drive as well.

DJEtzel

He is such a cutie. Glad you got him and are doing great with him!

If you wait for the perfect time, it'll never come. The time is never perfect. ;)
Couldn't agree more. Was not the "perfect time" or even "good time" for Patton, but I'm glad I took the chance- it worked out fabulously. Everyone was telling me the same thing when I was considering it.

SOOOO, Brittany... DO IT.

Locke

He's the perfect dog! I would take him in a heartbeat if I could have another. He's perfect! So so so perfect.

SaraB

Blinker updates? Any potential new homes? And pics?

I just love him so much, I want to know what's going on. HaHa.
Blinker is doing awesome! His body awareness has already improved SO much since I've gotten him. He's obsessed with the exercise ball and perches, jumps on them every chance he gets! He's also showing how quickly he picks up on things, I maybe spent 5 minutes working on down with him. A couple days later he was at work with me and kept offering downs! He remembered how much fun it was to lay down and was laying down all over the place despite the crazy environment (I had a weave class going on, those weavers are nuts).

He had one potential home look at him, but I don't think they would be a good fit. I have two other people that I'm waiting to hear back from (they both need to convince husbands). He would be doing things like rally, disc, agility and therapy work in these homes. He also has a service dog candidate evaluation on Monday!

No new pictures, I haven't had time! I'll try to get some this weekend. :)

xpaeanx

Gahhhhhhh!!!! He's so awesome... and adorable... and adorably awesome!!!!

I hope he gets the perfect home. :) Too bad you didn't find him a year from now... I would have to come stealz him in the middle of the night. HaHa.

Looking forward to more pics. ;)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.