Dry Skin?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Ah! I just thought of this.....she started the scratching thing when we bought the new bag od Canidae.

We've had a bad bag one other time that affected both dogs wit horrible yuck-d. Now this?

I'm really beginning to question Canidae...

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Really, lately I think all you want to is be crappy toward me. Whats your problem?

So, if you've got nothing useful to add to this thread, get the heck outa here.

Anyway, I talked to the vet, he said it could be a whole host of things that are just normal allergies to this area. They've been seeing more and more dogs come in having problems like Lizzie.
*sigh* I'm going to try another thing to see if it helps, then maybe try the shampoo and if it stills not working I guess I'll change foods.

Herschel

Hershel quit being an ass would ya?
So, if you've got nothing useful to add to this thread, get the heck outa here.
Wow. So I'm not allowed to eat some popcorn while I watch this pan out?

I thought it was interesting that after several of us gave you suggestions, including allergies, you decided that it was most likely the food. And as far as not being helpful, look at the first two pages of this thread... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I talked to the vet, he said it could be a whole host of things that are just normal allergies to this area. They've been seeing more and more dogs come in having problems like Lizzie.
*sigh* I'm going to try another thing to see if it helps, then maybe try the shampoo and if it stills not working I guess I'll change foods.
Did your vet recommend Benedryl or any other medications? I think CharliesMom has some experience in dealing with Charlie's chronic allergies.

Good luck.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
No, she didn't. She didn't even say to come in. And I totally trust my vet.

Why would it be allergies when (for my area) it's not even the prime time for allergies?

And it started right when we bought the new bag of food?

Herschel

No, she didn't. She didn't even say to come in. And I totally trust my vet.

Why would it be allergies when (for my area) it's not even the prime time for allergies?

And it started right when we bought the new bag of food?
Ragweed, for example, is highly allergenic to dogs and blooms in August-September in Arkansas.
http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plantoftheweek/articles/Common_Ragweed.htm
http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/showarticle.cfm?id=433

Main symptoms of Ragweed allergy? Itchy skin.
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/diseasesandconditions/a/VVP_fallallergy.htm

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I'm in Alabama.

Why would it not affect her before this year?

I'm not trying to dismiss the fact, but why would it not have happend before?

I want to find out whats wrong.

A

Angel Chicken

Liz, not jumping on Hershel's side... but sometimes that happens.

For instance... I started a thread while back about Kona's skin. Her skin was FINE until a few months ago.

Then it all blew up. Her skin got bad, and I took her to the vet. Turns out it WAS allergies. They told me to give her a weekly bath with medicated shampoo and benedryl when it flares up.

So far, so good. She is doing better already :)

I'm nit sure why it happens like this, but it can. That's what I'm trying to say here.

ACooper

That is very true.......with people or animals. You can be fine and then allergies can appear.

Same turn, you could be allergic to something and then out grow it.

Someone earlier did mention as dogs get older allergies are more common.

I hope it is something as easy as her food :)

A

Angel Chicken

They just looked at her. They said it was bad, but not bad enough to go on meds for it. He scraped her skin also.

So, I would suggest (from my own experiance) getting a medicated shampoo for her. If that doesn't work, then I would definitely try a different food. Canidae isn't always the best for every dog. Each one is different and if you have recently changed it, it really could be the basis of the problem.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
We haven't changed foods, but bought a new bag.

If giving her some canned fish/oils doesn't help clear it up, then I'll def. be contacting my vet.

Though, funny thing, we went to the vet for a class and guess what kinda dog they were seeing right as we got there? A dog with the same problem Lizzie has. Not near as bad though, but he just gave him some medicated shampoo and some type of shot to help clear it up.

A

Angel Chicken

Prolly is an allergy then. You should try either Earth Bath's oatmeal stuff... it WORKS!!

Herschel

I'm in Alabama.

Why would it not affect her before this year?

I'm not trying to dismiss the fact, but why would it not have happend before?

I want to find out whats wrong.
As someone else mentioned in this thread, a lot of dogs aren't affected by these things until they pass 2 years of age. Same goes for temperament issues, genetic diseases, and joint problems.

Sorry, I didn't remember exactly where you lived. In Alabama, the peak ragweed season is from August to October.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
We had some similar problems with Canidae and when we switched everything cleared up.

Elwood is going to the vet too soon he has itchy dry skin too and dandruff all on his back. He's always itching but he doesn't have fleas anymore and really didn't have any to begin with. Maybe it's an allergy thing here too. He isn't on Canidae anymore he's on Eagle Pack/Nature's Variety mixture.

We had some similar problems with Canidae and when we switched everything cleared up.

Elwood is going to the vet too soon he has itchy dry skin too and dandruff all on his back. He's always itching but he doesn't have fleas anymore and really didn't have any to begin with. Maybe it's an allergy thing here too. He isn't on Canidae anymore he's on Eagle Pack/Nature's Variety mixture.
I have found, that with allergy dogs, especially if its an environmental allergy, that when you switch their foods, they will usually do better for a month or two, and then the allergy symptoms appear again. My allergy sufferer was like this for ears, she would do well on a food, and then go back to having itchy skin. We switched foods and it would help for a month or two, then back to itching. We feed only grain-free now, and have quit switiching her food everytime she has an allergy attack. She's the worst in the summer, so we just give extra fish oil/vitamin E and add benadryl twice a day.

Just wanted to give you my experience before you switch foods, and think the problem is fixed. It could be back.

Just to throw in my two cents my parents dog (whom i grew up with), has some major allergies.. 1. allergic to beef, 2. allergic to grass, 3. allergic to turkey.. and im sure the list goes on.. all of which gives her dry flaky skin and she was scratching herself crazy. i would suggest switching food to chicken or lamb base with no beef.. and no rawhides.. after we did that kiara was fine for a year.. then became allergic to turkey.. if its allergies.. benidrayel and steriods.. trust me both work wonders

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I'm just wondering, would raw help? I won't be switching for a few more months, but just considering option.

It's really strange, no red spots, no flaky skin, nothing...just scratching.

I'm just wondering, would raw help? I won't be switching for a few more months, but just considering option.

It's really strange, no red spots, no flaky skin, nothing...just scratching.
It might. According to most raw feeders, it usually does. However Pit has the exact same problem and he's been on raw since 8 weeks. No redness, no flaky skin... just incredible itchiness as of recently. We're going to the vet tomorrow to see what she has to say.

Members online

No members online now.