opinions please

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
Okay, so my little bundle of fluff is now...well not quite so little, and is houstrained, and has learned all of the basics backwards and frontwards. He is a sweet baby who comes when called (mostly :rolleyes: ) and is generally a happy guy. My questions though are these:
1. He's sort of a momma's boy, and I was wondering if it would be fun for him or just generally traumatic to get a second poochie to have fun with him.
2. if it isn't such a trauma, what sorts of SMALL breeds of dogs do you thing would do well backpacking, hiking, swimming, canoing etc? I know Sunny is smaller, but we're sort of looking at the fact that our boys can be a little intimidated by him :rolleyes: sometimes and it will be an easier sell to my supervisor if it is a smaller dog.
I'm no novice dog owner but this would be the first time I would be attempting owning two at a time and I am a little nervous, mostly because as I said Sunny is definatly a mommas boy and gets more then a little sad and jealous when I pet or play with other dogs. He doesn't snap at them or anything just cries like his heart is breaking. I don't want to hurt him, in fact the idea popped up since I thought he could use a puppy friend, but I just don't know. I have read that aussies are particularly sensitive breeds when it comes to who they own. sigh. I would love a second pooch, and am very willing to adopt but I don't want to get someone so small that he squishes the first time he tries to play with them. Any good ideas? thanks guys.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I would never have just one dog..can u imagine having no one that speaks your language? I use to have one big and one little dog, the last decade has been all big. I would go to petsaver.com and see if there is a dog that sings to my heart...and sunnypup's too. Mary was in mourning so she didn't speak to me for the first three weeks i brought Victor home, but now, well this speaks for itself. http://www.chazhound.com/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=3803&cat=500&page=4

You might do well with a larger female dog, particularly one that's had pups in the past; a motherly sort of dog. Those are usually good with kids and Sunny could have another 'mama' to love him.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
been scouring petfinder...no one yet. I think it is because I don't know yet who I am looking for. I am not such a fan of tiny breeds but I would like some ideas on smaller ones so I have a better chance at winning my case. thanks smkie, that is a great picture :)

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
Renee750il said:
You might do well with a larger female dog, particularly one that's had pups in the past; a motherly sort of dog. Those are usually good with kids and Sunny could have another 'mama' to love him.
ah, that sounds wonderful but as per the stipulations of my doggy biased supervisor and his superiors the dog can't "intimidate" the children. :rolleyes: that means no big dogs. Sunny is even a little large for their taste. That's why I'm looking for opinions on smallish dogs.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Have you seen Dharma and Greg? How their dog has a dog? It won't change how Sunny feels about u either..(said by me who just got up off the floor while Mary, Vitor and Shaffer were all romping with me) btw guess who is picking up talking like chewbacca? Sunny is still young enough to appriciate a good romp with a pup..he will just consider it "his" dog and let you play with it once in a while...Hope u get one with a personality like Victor's..even Mary had to say good grief and love him too. I looked at petsavers for two weeks before i saw Vic...just knew the second i saw him that he was the one. The first couple of months were hard because he was so trumatized...but i trusted my heart to lead me and i was right. What ever u choose..from a breeder or shelter i am sure u will make the right choice. How does sunnypup react to puppies by himself? Some dogs luv em...like my friend's sharpeii/lab mix, and some can't stand them. Maybe you should take sunny around and ask him what he thinks! :D

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
Yeah, I definatly want to get a second pooch, and and adoption feels like the way to go, just need some ideas as to what types of dogs fit in with our lifestyle that are more on the diminuative side. :D Oh if we could all be so lucky to have a victor in our lives smkie :) ! Actually I'd be happy with a second sunny personally but I don't think someone can get this lucky twice in a row! So, decision 1 is decided. Going to look for a pup. Decision two is up for debate, what kind of pooch will be small enough to make the supervisor happy, be able to withstand long walks and overnight backpacking trips without feeling like it is going to die or break, and will get along with another dog. I am thinking a female so there isn't too much chance for agression. JRT maybe? I dunno. Hopefully someone pops out at me soon, so I can go begging to my boss! :D

gapeach

Big Mutts
I love Smkie's idea, have Sunny pick out the next puppy. How nice it would be if all kids could pick a sibling they would get along with!

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Awww I think anouther dog would be great for you and Sunny and others.
Here's a few breeds that could fit your needs.
Alaskan Klee Kai - I personally am against the breeding of this breed but alot of people like them and their just as athletic as a regular husky and hame in three different small sizes.
Welsh Corgie
Mini Schnauzer
Beagel
English Cocker Spaniel
Dachund
Jack Russel
Toy Poodle (trust me that can work out)
Cairn Terrier (great dogs my neighbor owns one)
Toy German Spitz (standard would be good too)
Papillon

Thats all the athletic small breeds i know of that would fit in your home as well. Good luck :).

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
OOOOH A CORGI!!! I hadn't thought of those guys! Paps seem like they could be a little delicate for backpacking. The Kleeklee looks like it would be a little uncomfortable here in the summer....daschunds...not my cuppa' . Thanks for the suggestions though. Keep em coming guys! (off to look for corgies!)

gapeach

Big Mutts
I'm not so sure about the poodle, mine was a very one person dog. I'm no expert but just a thought.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
My parents poodle is'nt neither was the one that was my sisters. I don't know I think every poodle is different.

gapeach

Big Mutts
I don't know I think every poodle is different.[/QUOTE]

Very true, just like all people.Everyone has different personality.

Keep an eye out for Terrier mixes. They're usually very hardy, always personable, and love to play. You get a big dog in a small package.

A Sheltie could be a good choice too.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I had a family of labs....each one a totally different personality..so i don't like to describe a breed temperment based like that.The "guidelines" should be only be taken lightly. that is the very thing that gets the pitties in such trouble. Mary was my good gurl, easy to train and soooo intelligent, but terribly anxious about seperation..Sally was my omega, needed lots of confidence boosting.shy and reserved with a smile ...Garg a big baby at birth and alpha as an adult..large, difficult to train and pushy like Onyx, Tatly lazy, layed back and good natured..see?

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
Love4Pits said:
Just some random links for ya.
now I know you said you wern't interested in Klee Kai but here's a link to a toy one.
http://nutabaq.blogspot.com/2004_06_01_nutabaq_archive.html
OMG I changed my mind, that is what I am getting! :D Too too cute. Now to convince the husband. He just said tonight that Sunny was enough pup for right now. :( Haha, just wait until I show him these pictures, he'll be rushing out with me to find one! (mwahahahahaha!)(my evil laugh btw)

gapeach

Big Mutts
OMG,Sunny that pup is adorable! I've never seen that breed before. Good luck on convincing Tim.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
Okay, so I found a breeder close by, but petfinder has no idea what a Klee Kai even is! I am hoping that the breeder can direct me to a local rescue or maybe has an older dog they want to retire? Tim should be a pushover,and if I can get a dog that small with the personality of a husky that will want to run and run and run with Sunny and I it could be a match made in heaven! Here's hoping for good news. It could be SOOO MUCH FUN to have another dog around here. I am currently working on the "It would be half the work with a second one because Sunny could show her the ropes and would have someone besides us to play with." speech. Hopefully it isn't too cost prohibitive. Once we have our own place I definatly want a lab, and a husky and ... well mostly every dog I can adopt. I really really want a border collie but it sooo wouldn't be fair. I mean, I am active,but geeze my last guy was a x and he was a bit too much some days. I mean a two hour hike couldn't wipe him out. I'd be about dead and he'd be ready to run some more! :rolleyes: Sunny is easier to tire out, and is more interested in doing things to work his brain, like playing "find it". Hunter never had the patience for that sort of thing. It was always "go go go" with him. I think it was more the mix in him then the border though since I know borders are super smart too. Sigh. I want a farm, and to be debt free and have lots of babies and pups. :)

Members online

No members online now.