What's going on USA?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Its big news here, is it being blown out of proportion?

The budget row or whatever it is? Is everything shut like they're saying??

What's going on is a p!ssing match, or a big game of chicken.

Honestly, I doubt it will last very long. And most people's day to day lives are not really affected at this point.

They're blowing it out of proportion over here too. Honestly I'm sick of it. Every 4-5 months or less we get pounded about a "looming gov't shutdown" and our need to increase the debt ceiling. Then they get going on Obamacare and facebook gets flooded with political bullshit. Rinse... repeat over and over and over.

I personally hope it lasts quite a while this time. Our gov't is in need a a major fat trimming.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
What's going on is a p!ssing match, or a big game of chicken.

Honestly, I doubt it will last very long. And most people's day to day lives are not really affected at this point.
Pretty much that. Everyone I know is just annoyed.

Taqroy

I'm very much so hoping it doesn't go for over a week. The fallout for the Republicans so far has not been pretty (rightfully so IMO) so hopefully they'll back down soon.

I feel really bad for the people that are furloughed. I know a large amount of people live paycheck to paycheck and this sort of thing can be devastating. It makes me angry that regular people pay the price for a bunch of politicians deciding to **** around.

GipsyQueen

To me it's a bunch of kindergarten children who didn't get their way and are now throwing temper tantrum.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
They're blowing it out of proportion over here too. Honestly I'm sick of it. Every 4-5 months or less we get pounded about a "looming gov't shutdown" and our need to increase the debt ceiling. Then they get going on Obamacare and facebook gets flooded with political bullshit. Rinse... repeat over and over and over.

I personally hope it lasts quite a while this time. Our gov't is in need a a major fat trimming.
Exactly this.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
Well, I'm glad that some of you think this doesn't really effect many people's lives, that it's blown out of proportion, and that this is good because the government needs a trimming and government employees make too much money.

Let me tell you that this IS effecting lives, a lot of lives. If it isn't effecting yours, then congratulations. But at least have the decency to acknowledge that it's BAD for MANY employees. It's not only that one paycheck that you're maybe missing out on, employees who have secret clearances can easily have that revoked if money becomes an issue. Then they don't qualify for their job anymore... You catch my drift. This has happened to many of my husband's coworkers during the furlough. It's terrible. And now this. We can be grateful that we are in a stable financial position, I am working and we'll be okay. We have drastically reduced our spending and have saved money to be prepared for something like this... But not everybody can.

I also agree that, sure, there are lazy government workers, who just sit around... But to generalize liked that? Not cool. My husband works his butt off every single day. He gets hit up on his blackberry on weekends (and doesn't bill it), he rarely takes his whole lunch. The kicker? He'd make twice his salary in the private sector, easily. Probably even more. But he loves what he does, he's proud of what he does, and that's why he's staying.

And from what is can tell you without going into details is that this, and the previous furlough, have not saved any money. Where it gets cut on one end, it'll be replaced with twice as much.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Well, I'm glad that some of you think this doesn't really effect many people's lives, that it's blown out of proportion, and that this is good because the government needs a trimming and government employees make too much money.

Let me tell you that this IS effecting lives, a lot of lives. If it isn't effecting yours, then congratulations. But at least have the decency to acknowledge that it's BAD for MANY employees. It's not only that one paycheck that you're maybe missing out on, employees who have secret clearances can easily have that revoked if money becomes an issue. Then they don't qualify for their job anymore... You catch my drift. This has happened to many of my husband's coworkers during the furlough. It's terrible. And now this. We can be grateful that we are in a stable financial position, I am working and we'll be okay. We have drastically reduced our spending and have saved money to be prepared for something like this... But not everybody can.

I also agree that, sure, there are lazy government workers, who just sit around... But to generalize liked that? Not cool. My husband works his butt off every single day. He gets hit up on his blackberry on weekends (and doesn't bill it), he rarely takes his whole lunch. The kicker? He'd make twice his salary in the private sector, easily. Probably even more. But he loves what he does, he's proud of what he does, and that's why he's staying.

And from what is can tell you without going into details is that this, and the previous furlough, have not saved any money. Where it gets cut on one end, it'll be replaced with twice as much.
This.

I'm in Canada. We don't know if my dad's work is going to be able to afford to pay him, and if they can, we aren't sure for how long, because the company will lose approximately $3million a week due to the shut down.

I have 2 friends that I train with regularly, one trains dogs for the TSA and he's furloughed, the other works in MN on land conservation, both out of a job for the moment.

I know it's affecting people, doesn't change my view on it. I'm glad it's happening, it hope it continues for a long while. I want it to hurt. For EVERYBODY because if it goes on long enough it will.

I'm sick of these **** ass politicians doing what they do to this country every day. Nothing is for "us" anymore, it's always for them and their friends with deep pockets. They toss nuggets once and while and give us huge talking points to get neighbors fighting with neighbors every single day about stuff they care nothing about. On all levels, from federal down to state. They sit and talk about one thing and when it comes to it, they act on things completely different.

so this does need to hurt. Force the American people to see what parts of gov't are just big bloated extensions of stuff that can be taken care of by ourselves. Force them to cut. and Force them to demand better from their gov't.

Or, we can settle for the status quo, listen to the looming gov't shutdowns, the need for more money, the need for this, the need for that etc. and we can be used as pawns for the world money pigs day after day after day.

Or we can let it shut down, and then take it back.

Romy

Taxiderpy

:hail:
I know a few people who will be losing their homes if this goes on for very long. :(

so this does need to hurt. Force the American people to see what parts of gov't are just big bloated extensions of stuff that can be taken care of by ourselves. Force them to cut. and Force them to demand better from their gov't.
I don't know of a single citizen who doesn't already KNOW this. We don't need people hungry, homeless, and dead (yes DEAD) to hammer it in. The question is, what do you think people can actually DO about it!?! Are you suggesting we all march on DC brandishing pitchforks and torches? Sign online petitions? Seriously? You think they would change because people "demand" it? They don't care, and now they have the authority to go out and detain folks indefinitely without trial if they fit their extremely broad definition of "terrorist".

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
This.

I'm in Canada. We don't know if my dad's work is going to be able to afford to pay him, and if they can, we aren't sure for how long, because the company will lose approximately $3million a week due to the shut down.
I'm sorry :(

I have 2 friends that I train with regularly, one trains dogs for the TSA and he's furloughed, the other works in MN on land conservation, both out of a job for the moment.

I know it's affecting people, doesn't change my view on it. I'm glad it's happening, it hope it continues for a long while. I want it to hurt. For EVERYBODY because if it goes on long enough it will.

I'm sick of these **** ass politicians doing what they do to this country every day. Nothing is for "us" anymore, it's always for them and their friends with deep pockets. They toss nuggets once and while and give us huge talking points to get neighbors fighting with neighbors every single day about stuff they care nothing about. On all levels, from federal down to state. They sit and talk about one thing and when it comes to it, they act on things completely different.

Or, we can settle for the status quo, listen to the looming gov't shutdowns, the need for more money, the need for this, the need for that etc. and we can be used as pawns for the world money pigs day after day after day.

Yeah, because I am sure that the ones causing all this will be the ones truly affected, no matter how long it lasts. :rolleyes:
It's easy to say you want this to hurt when you know that you'll be able to keep paying your mortgage. How about you send half of your paycheck to a single income family that is without now if you want all the American people to feel it so badly?

Taqroy

Whaaaaaat. How exactly are we going to take it back? And what difference does it make to politicians if regular people are hurt by this? At best we'll see a backlash in the next election.

I'm *thisclose* to furloughs - I'm on contract and we're fully funded, but I see all the civil servants around me being affected. It's a big deal to them and their families and I think blithely ignoring that and believing (why? why do you believe this?) that we're actually going to see anything useful come out of this cluster**** is incredibly disrespectful.

Gypsydals

I hope it doesn't last long. Simply because its the "little" people that are going to end up hurting the most. Its going to be the senior citizens and people on disability that are going to be affected the most. The ones who honestly need the help aren't going to be getting it. Its going to be the regular gov'ment folks who get hurt by this. NOT the higher ups. And in a round about away its going to affect me and my job. Because I'm just a lowly cashier at the local grocery store who 70% or more of their customers have food benefits and WIC. Guess what is going to happen to my job if this goes on for too long.

ACooper

EDIT: Changed my mind, decided not to wade in past my knees ;)

Yup.

it's easy to see why we are in the position we are in after reading the responses on here.

and don't judge me, my life isn't nor has it been easy street. The gov't already takes more than their share, and now you want me to send the other half to someone else?? please.

when you're waking up to frozen water on a night stand to go to work before school at age 11 and coming home to what you hope is something more than canned tomatoes and potatoes you know you're struggling.

Taqroy

it's easy to see why we are in the position we are in after reading the responses on here.
I'm serious, I would like to know how you think we can evoke a change in our government.

don't judge me, my life isn't nor has it been easy street. The gov't already takes more than their share, and now you want me to send the other half to someone else?? please.

when you're waking up to frozen water on a night stand to go to work before school at age 11 and coming home to what you hope is something more than canned tomatoes and potatoes you know you're struggling.
So it's only struggling if they struggle in the exact same way as you? People ARE struggling to make ends meet. Lots of people live paycheck to paycheck and will face losing their homes/lives/food/whatever if this doesn't get resolved. What possible gain could we get from that happening?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh I definitely don't think this thing will help at all and think all the politicians need to be slapped upside the head right about now...

The little people will be the ones hurt and that exemplifies what is wrong with our government.

Members online

No members online now.