Throwing up

Labyrinth

Our 3 month old puppy started throwing up last night. The first time she vomited there was a lot of dog food in it. The following 2 times it was just fluid (did find a blade of grass in one). She just threw up fluid again now, and hasn't wanted to eat anything (I'm afraid she won't keep it down anyways). He nose is warm and she's very sleepy. Is there something I can give her for her upset tummy?

bubbatd

Bile bothers me ,,,,,I'd still check if you have this tomorrow .

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
She DEFINITELY needs to go to the vet. Yellow is not a good color. And it can possibly mean parvo. Go ASAP.

Labyrinth

I've got an appointment set up for her for tomorrow morning at 8:30 (they close in about 20 minutes, and I'm 20 minutes away with no traffic).

The girl I spoke with said they would test for Parvo since she hasn't had her booster shots yet. I got her to drink a little water, and I'm hoping to get some food in her too.

She's only 2 days late on her booster, someone please tell me that this could be something else :(

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
It could be several different things besides parvo. But really, parvo is the one you need to worry about. That and distemper. The other things it could be are stomach virus's and the like. She still needs to be seen, even if it is one of those, because of the possibility of parvo.

Labyrinth

At the very least, I'm pretty sure it's not distemper. From what I read on it they also exhibit cold like symptoms (runny eyes/nose).

She's still acting like herself a bit, even bouncing around a little.. She just doesn't want to eat/drink at all today. She threw up again about an hour ago, and that was just white foam. I havent' seen her poop in a couple of days (haven't visibly watched her do it), but all the puppy sized poops in the yard look okay, so I don't think she's got diarrhea.

I'm scared to death now that it is parvo, and I feel like it's all my fault. I took her out to petsmart before she had her followup boosters. I'll never forgive myself if she has it :(

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Dont worry so much! Wait until you get to the vets. Oz got parvo as a pup and he is fine now. And he HAD all his shots. So, don't blame yourself!!!

Labyrinth

Worrying is what I do best :p

She wanted to go out, and when we were out there she threw up again. Completely clear fluid this time, no yellow at all. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing though. I also saw her poop and she definately does not have diarrhea. My other dog ran past her while she was out sniffing the grass, and she took off running after her wagging her tail. Then when we came in she was nipping at our other dogs legs (which is how they start play fights with each other). She then drank more water (hasn't thrown it up yet), but was acting kind of odd about it. She basically moves her nose around just above the surface of the water, then sat back and pawed the bowl like she was going to dig the water out. Instead she stuck her nose and mouth underwater and started blowing bubbles out of her nose o_O

Then she drank a bunch. Still has no interest in food yet, but I'll keep trying. I'm probably a little paranoid about it because an online friend of mine recently had a pup die of parvo, and I've heard the survival rates are not good :(

Also from the information I read, it made it sound like it's a lifelong disease that needs constant treatment/transfusions if they even live?

Labyrinth

She did not keep down the water she drank earlier, and her vomit was yellow again :(

I was thinking of picking up some pedialyte for this evening since the vet can't see her until the morning. Any idea what dosage would be appropriate for a 3 month old puppy ~14 pounds?

I don't know if she'll be able to keep that down, but I figure it's worth a shot.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Not sure.. The no diarrhea is GOOD.

Oz survived, and another pup I know who had it survived. There can be complications, but Oz and the other pup are fine after being treated. So, I'm not sure about lifelong complications or not.

Labyrinth

Back from the vet.

He did not run the Parvo test because he said she is not acting like a puppy with Parvo. She's got a little blood in her stool so it may be another virus so he gave her an antibiotic shot, and anti-vomiting shot, and gave me some antibiotic pills to give her at home.

She kept down the pedialyte I have given her so far, and has not thrown up since last night. Her nose is now cold and wet again, and she's voluntarily drinking water. The vet said to keep her away from food until this evening though, so I'm not sure if she'll eat yet. Looks like she's going to be okay though :)

lizzybeth727

Sounds like something my dog had about a year ago - she threw up almost constantly (about 1-2 minutes between each time) for about an hour (and I lived in an apartment, couldn't just sit outside with her - it was fun trying to keep her on a towel). It was just a virus. The vet gave her some anti-vomiting pills, and that was that. Back to normal the next day.

I just love how doctors and vets all give antibiotics to treat a virus. I think they're just trying to sell you a placebo.

Members online

No members online now.